• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer putts may be self-correcting?

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I recently changed to a hyzer putt simply because it seemed to be the way my hand wanted to align itself to my arm at release, and because it generated instant results, making me much more consistent from 20-30 feet. I'm not sure if it would be called a push or a spush, as I'm not very clear on where the line on that is. I definitely get a tiny bit of elbow and wrist cock, but not intentionally. It's a fairly straight arm swinging down to up movement, stagger stance.

One thing I've noticed is a tendency that if I release late (and I'm actually releasing hyzer instead of unintentionally getting too flat) it tends to self correct by fading back into the chains. I'm rarely missing left at all (and that's usually on 30 footers that don't quite have enough pop).

My thought process is that this may be due to what likely happens when a push hyzer putt is released late. I would think that you'd end up with a slightly nose up putter, which would slow the disc down slightly and encourage that fade. As long as you have the right pace on the putt, something that you'd leave you 10 to 15 past on a miss, you end up with something that self-corrects into the chains.

More idle musing than actual theory, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

My thought process is that this may be due to what likely happens when a push hyzer putt is released late. I would think that you'd end up with a slightly nose up putter, which would slow the disc down slightly and encourage that fade. As long as you have the right pace on the putt, something that you'd leave you 10 to 15 past on a miss, you end up with something that self-corrects into the chains.

Yes, sometimes it works out that way. The downside is that hyzer putts are more subject to crosswinds compared with a flat putt. I would suggest practicing in windy conditions before committing.

Obviously lots of outstanding players use a hyzer putt, so if that is what works for you, hyzer-putt away!

Last fall I was on a streak where I was making loads of hyzer push/Spush putts out to 35'. Enter the windy season Jan-April… I couldn't hit anything in wind so I tried to switch from straddle push to stagger spin. Meh results. If I'm meticulously careful to release flat, it will cut through the wind.

Now I can't putt well either way…

Veteran baskets love the gentle last second fade into the right side of the chains. Prodigy isn't having it.

I ditched the hyzer putt for that reason and also because it makes for less rollaways on east TN courses. Side benefit is that I no longer occasionally miss a 25 footer by 30 feet to the left on a windy day.