• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting - Off Arm

bryantlikes

Birdie Member
I've been working on trying to improve my putting and doing daily practice. Started with just the basic putting confidence program (30 days, focus on making putts) and recently tweaked it some to be what Brodie recommended which seemed to have some similar ideas as the perfect practice article.

Anyhow, I'm still slowly improving and came across something today that I don't think I've noticed (I'm sure it is out there already) so I thought I share what I've learned so far. Some of these are probably obvious but they have helped me along the way.

1) Finish position - like SW22 says about the normal swing, the finish position is kind of the proof of the swing. Same applies for putting.

2) Don't think about missing - Obvious but something I noticed. I'd miss and then realize I'd been thinking about possibly missing.

3) Breathe - A lot of my putts where I'd come up short I'd noticed that I'd been holding my breath. Remember to breathe.

4) Stare. It. Down. - Focus, focus, focus on the chain link you're trying to hit, all the way through, until it hits it.

5) I can putt with my eyes closed - Thanks Sheep Found that I can almost make the same amount of putts. However, I really don't like putting with my eyes closed.

6) Off Arm - My most consistent miss was high right. I thought at first it was a release issue (late release) and that was partly true. But today I figured out I need to keep my off arm near my hip to keep my left shoulder in place. This seems to create a consistent fulcrum to putt off of and my consistency when up pretty quick.

Anyhow, thought I'd pass these along and interested to see what other things get added.

5) I can putt with my eyes closed - Thanks Sheep Found that I can almost make the same amount of putts. However, I really don't like putting with my eyes closed.

Welcome, it certainly is weird though. But knowing your putt is so hammered on that you can do it with your eyes closed gives you a different confidence boost.
You know its there, naturally.

6) Off Arm - My most consistent miss was high right. I thought at first it was a release issue (late release) and that was partly true. But today I figured out I need to keep my off arm near my hip to keep my left shoulder in place. This seems to create a consistent fulcrum to putt off of and my consistency when up pretty quick.

Anyhow, thought I'd pass these along and interested to see what other things get added.

I've found my most consistent miss is left and, paying closer attention, I found that I turn my upper body to the left when I putt. I was putting with almost, but not quite a straddle putt and bringing the disc down to my lower body....close to what KJ does, but not as drastic. Then when I putted, as my arm extended, my upper body turns slightly left. Holding my off arm back just makes it worse. My solution, so far, has been to bring the disc down to my right knee and then back up again. It's worked a lot better, but I find I have less power on the disc. So....more testing.

I've found my most consistent miss is left and, paying closer attention, I found that I turn my upper body to the left when I putt. I was putting with almost, but not quite a straddle putt and bringing the disc down to my lower body....close to what KJ does, but not as drastic. Then when I putted, as my arm extended, my upper body turns slightly left. Holding my off arm back just makes it worse. My solution, so far, has been to bring the disc down to my right knee and then back up again. It's worked a lot better, but I find I have less power on the disc. So....more testing.

Yeah, on further review and putting analysis I concluded that it is less the off arm, and more the off shoulder (for me at least). Needs to be in a consistent place for my putt to be more consistent.

Latest posts