• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Hyzerbomb Mortar

Yep, the mold is simply not the same as it was. Nothing inherently wrong with changes to a mold, but the silence and/or outright denial about the changes to this one by Hyzerbomb is really dumb. How hard is it to for companies (Innova-based especially) to show transparency on issues like this? Customers almost universally appreciate being kept out of the dark, just look at how positively folks have responded to the approach Mint has taken with the Alpha. Total shot to the foot by Hyzerbomb on this new disc release that had so many people excited about it.

Easier for them to deny there's been any changes than pay the fee and resubmit the mold to PDGA for approval. Gateway are the masters of doing this. I never understood why.

No matter the issues with the mold change, I think the mortar is a really good disc even if it doesn't look how I thought - it flies as I expected.

I don't have much interest in who's right or wrong with this but the Facebook thread does a pretty convincing job of showing the.micro bead is the only difference.

Apparently it makes the wing look concave. I was convinced.

I don't have much interest in who's right or wrong with this but the Facebook thread does a pretty convincing job of showing the.micro bead is the only difference.

Apparently it makes the wing look concave. I was convinced.
I agree. From reading that thread, I don't think the mold has changed other then the microbead.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I don't think so. It's a private group. There are some good pics. Maybe someone can post those.

The idea that it was a new mold was laughed out of the room by long time mortar throwers.

The pics were enough evidence for me to conclude the only difference is the micro bead but I don't really care if the mold changed.

From how I understand it mold changes don't have to get approved. Gateway has recycled some disc names which got them off the hook for having to pay for certification again. The name gets approved, and in the process of doing that it has to meet specifications. It's not like the physical mold itself is being approved, so once you alter the mold it needs to get approved again.

From how I understand it mold changes don't have to get approved. Gateway has recycled some disc names which got them off the hook for having to pay for certification again. The name gets approved, and in the process of doing that it has to meet specifications. It's not like the physical mold itself is being approved, so once you alter the mold it needs to get approved again.

Actually, the output of the physical mold is exactly what is being tested, not the disc name. Gateway actually has had retooled versions of discs re-certified such as the Chief (there is a "Chief" and "Chief (retooled)" in the PDGA approved discs list for example). From the PDGA technical standards document:

(E) Retesting
There are several circumstances under which a disc that has been previously approved is required to be submitted for a retesting procedure. If there are changes to a mold that has been producing an approved disc, the discs produced by the changed mold may have to be retested for approval. Not all such changes require approval. Retesting is only required if a mold includes the addition or removal of a new structural feature such as a bead, or results in a measurement that may violate any of the technical standards.

This is why the Roc3 didn't have to be certified: it's mostly just the Rancho Roc mold with a slightly flatter top which isn't a structural change which requires retesting. According to this, the addition or removal of a bead is definitely grounds for a required retest though.

My 2 cents:
I bought a Frontline-X Big Jerm Mortar from the the Hyzerbomb website. It was labelled as teal and the disc is teal (got a nice red foil stamp). The reason I bought it was, I wanted a beadless star Gator. I should have researched it more. Frontline is star and Frontline-X is gstar. The reason I wanted the beadless star Gator was for mid-range stability with a little more skip than the beaded champion glow Gator.

Performance in the field:
For me, the Frontline-X Mortar is dead straight, even slightly under stable when torqued on hard. If released absolutely flat with 75% power on a RHBH, is goes dead straight and fades gently at the very end. Forehand shots need a little hyzer to keep straight and a considerable amount of hyzer to work hard right. The plastic is soupy, which can be good for certain situations. If it stays in the bag, it will be for low ceiling/low line RHFH shots inside of 175ft that need to skip hard right one or twice and stop dead. The grass I played on was not tight, but fairly high. The Mortar got a nice skip anyway. For that reason alone the disc has value.

As for the mold, it is not at all like a beadless Gator, like many posted before. As for price, I paid about $30 after tax and shipping. I'm alright with that because the disc is rare and the money goes to an up and coming company (and Big Jerm). As for availability, Hyzerbomb has a handful of Frontline-X Mortars in stock now in 4 different colors. They also have a few yellow Recon Mortars. Just bought one moments before writing this. It was $25 after tax and shipping. The first one I ordered from my phone and couldn't opt for a shipping option. Turns out I paid for priority the first time.

All in all, I like the skip the disc has, but dislike the gummy-floppiness of the Frontline-X plastic because is reacts weird when you try to rip it. It's like it needs a second to gain its composure once it leaves your hand. It's a touch shot disc for when you need great predictability and good amount of skip from short distances. Let me know if you agree!

My 2 cents:
I bought a Frontline-X Big Jerm Mortar from the the Hyzerbomb website. It was labelled as teal and the disc is teal (got a nice red foil stamp). The reason I bought it was, I wanted a beadless star Gator. I should have researched it more. Frontline is star and Frontline-X is gstar. The reason I wanted the beadless star Gator was for mid-range stability with a little more skip than the beaded champion glow Gator.

Performance in the field:
For me, the Frontline-X Mortar is dead straight, even slightly under stable when torqued on hard. If released absolutely flat with 75% power on a RHBH, is goes dead straight and fades gently at the very end. Forehand shots need a little hyzer to keep straight and a considerable amount of hyzer to work hard right. The plastic is soupy, which can be good for certain situations. If it stays in the bag, it will be for low ceiling/low line RHFH shots inside of 175ft that need to skip hard right one or twice and stop dead. The grass I played on was not tight, but fairly high. The Mortar got a nice skip anyway. For that reason alone the disc has value.

As for the mold, it is not at all like a beadless Gator, like many posted before. As for price, I paid about $30 after tax and shipping. I'm alright with that because the disc is rare and the money goes to an up and coming company (and Big Jerm). As for availability, Hyzerbomb has a handful of Frontline-X Mortars in stock now in 4 different colors. They also have a few yellow Recon Mortars. Just bought one moments before writing this. It was $25 after tax and shipping. The first one I ordered from my phone and couldn't opt for a shipping option. Turns out I paid for priority the first time.

All in all, I like the skip the disc has, but dislike the gummy-floppiness of the Frontline-X plastic because is reacts weird when you try to rip it. It's like it needs a second to gain its composure once it leaves your hand. It's a touch shot disc for when you need great predictability and good amount of skip from short distances. Let me know if you agree!

Sounds like you will enjoy the Recon more. More stable for sure. I bag both plastics since there is enough of a stability difference to warrant it.

I owned and recently lost a 1.2 recon Mortar that I felt like was a beadless gator (I think august Dupree and I had an exchange about mortar vs gator in a different thread a few months back). Anywho. I picked up a 1.3 frontline x off a friend and sure enough, its a different disc. To make matters more complicated, I just ordered and received a new 1.4 recon and it's a different disc than the 1.2 and the 1.3.

The new 1.4 recon has a concave wing and a microbead. I haven't thrown it yet but it looks pretty dang OS. I am hoping it will be a suitable replacement to my old 1.2

The 1.3 frontline X is actually a great disc, for forehand approaches that you want to stick. I have gotten a few rounds in with it and I like it a lot FH. Throwing it backhand though is pretty disappointing. But I am a MD3 fiend so I guess take my experience with a grain of salt since I bag 4 variations of MD3 to cover all the shots HAHA.

1.4 front
hUw6hS9.jpg

1.4 wing
q4vuplt.jpg

1.4 back note - :popcorn:
zRIqxuI.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have my 1.2 to compare it too, but its probably not as concave as it. It's definitely more concave than the 1.3 frontline x though. I don't have a 1.3 recon to compare.

Fb dudes claim the bead makes it look more concave when it's really the same

this new 1.4 run is actually the old beadless gator mold i bet, it is slightly concave and has the actual micro bead this time. as opposed to the first big jerm mortars that came out previously and sparked the debate about the convex rim

Is the bead noticeable in the hand for a flick? I've got a couple sweet stamped 1.3s I'm sitting on and was about to sell them till i saw the 1.4s out. Then saw the 1.4s were micro beaded. Didn't know if that would help or hurt value on 1.3s.

this new 1.4 run is actually the old beadless gator mold i bet, it is slightly concave and has the actual micro bead this time. as opposed to the first big jerm mortars that came out previously and sparked the debate about the convex rim

Why do I feel like I should be stocking up on the 1.3s now? :wall:

Is the bead noticeable in the hand for a flick? I've got a couple sweet stamped 1.3s I'm sitting on and was about to sell them till i saw the 1.4s out. Then saw the 1.4s were micro beaded. Didn't know if that would help or hurt value on 1.3s.

its not noticeable at all,barely noticeable to the eye but it is the beadless gator mold as thats how mine looked in my bin. its going to depend on whether they continue both molds in production or just do one or the other. i have not seen anyone say they wont continue the "beaded" 1.4's. my understanding was the 1.3's were the correct mold and would be the current mold.

actually, i dont think it will hurt the value at all since its a different mold.

Why do I feel like I should be stocking up on the 1.3s now? :wall:

i havent seen anyone say the 1.3 mold will be discontinued. they might get sell these 1.4's and then go back to the 1.3 mold but only time will tell. i think they should have just stuck with the 1.4 mold from the get go since thats what people liked. thats just me though