• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am really doing something wrong

A

Anonymous

Alright, I'm really new first off. 22 yrs old, 5 foot 10, have been working out for college sports for the last 5 years so have raw power to spare, thast not the issue. For some reason when it comes to disc golf I am just all thumbs. I am not trying to over power anything yet, just trying to be able to throw straight and level. I am absolutely awful for some reason, and practice is making it worse I find. My throw feels so uncomfortable and unnatural. Perhaps my should is just built differently. When I try to throw just from standing still, I can get a straight throw to go about 40 feet, if I'm lucky, and it feels like my should is straining to make such an unfluid motion. I think I'm trying to make the power come from the wrong place in my anatomy perhaps. Ive seen people shorter and alot weaker than myself in the videos who can throw hundreds of feet from just stanidng still and make it look easy. This is very frustrating for me since I know that I should be easily able to throw far enough if I could just get some mechanics down. It just feels so unnatural and completely wrong right now. If anyone has some advice for simple drills or slow motions that I could go through just to get started in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Likewise if anyone is in the area of southwest VA (Virginia Tech Specifically) and would be willing to help me practice some how, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

focus on getting your upper body to rotate fluidly. the arm should follow from that. shoulder leads the arm, arm pulls the disc. the motion should be comfortable, relaxed, and fluid.

maybe your not a backhand kinda guy. I know when I started I couldn't throw backhand for shit. I could only throw sidearm(forehand).

but now my rhbh drives WAY further than my sidearm.

I had tons of problems when I first starting playing as well. I highly recommend buying Scott Stokely's video.

http://www.discndatonline.com/item.cfm?itemid=7947

He breaks it down in slow motion and it gained me a good 50 ft just by watching it once.

Jobuu said:
I had tons of problems when I first starting playing as well. I highly recommend buying Scott Stokely's video.

http://www.discndatonline.com/item.cfm?itemid=7947

He breaks it down in slow motion and it gained me a good 50 ft just by watching it once.

Yeah i got his first vid when months ago, and learned a few tricks from it even tho ive been playing for 5+ years.
Learned a couple of things about shooting for distance and/or accuracy.
Worth it if your having lots of trouble....

I just reread your post and noticed you didnt mention what disc or discs you are using. For all we know you could be using an advanced disc which could go 40 feet and make a hard turn and die out. When you are just learning, discs make all the difference. After some practice you can make adjustments to counter act a disc.

I recommend getting a stratus or stingray and use that for every throw except putting. Get it going straight and put more and more power slowly until you throw hard and straight enough that the disc actually turns right (assuming you're a right hander throwing backhand). Then get yourself a new driver like the XL, XS, Wildcat, Beast, Flash, or Valkerie.

Latest posts