• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Just wondering if anyone here is one of a handful of volunteers or perhaps the main laborer/caretaker at their course and had this conversation with a random DGer on their course. You know the one it usually goes something like this:
"They need to maintain this course better"
"They need to do something about the tee pads here"
"They need to cut the grass"
or my all time favorites
"They need to clean up the thorns where I lost my disc along fairway such and such"
"They need to build a bridge over that creek"
"They need better signs, short tees"

I always keep my lips shut but I wonder what my actual expression is doing as I am the "they that these people criticize. I wanna hear some stories from other people who actually put the work in that their courses. I have a feeling most of the critics here are not volunteers and do little work on their home courses.

Some of my fellow volunteers say I shouldve punched the one guy in the face for complaining about a tee after we volunteers worked all weekend improving the other 11.

I also love when you are out sweating your ass off covered in cuts from thorns and your alone and clearing schule and some drunk yahoo says something like...."hey you guys need to clear that crap to the left on hole 3 about 150 feet in I always lose my disc in there"

One day perhaps THEY will snap and let these types have it.

need+a+hug.jpg

WE are THEY

72727_1415456029624_1329290305_30915486_758627_n.jpg

Poured pads, built bridges, buy/brought spool tables, built benches, clear brush, new trails, pick up trash, take out trash. Some of these do more than others, and some not pictured do alot.

WE are THEY.

if THEY are a bunch of caretakers that get all bent when some idiot says theyre doing a crappy job, youre right.

seriously, opti, course maintenance is a thankless task. take solace in knowing the only people that matter appreciate the job you do.

I feel more courses has led to a sense of entitlement. I also feel that pay to play has led to less voluteerism.

:(

if THEY are a bunch of caretakers that get all bent when some idiot says theyre doing a crappy job, youre right.

seriously, opti, course maintenance is a thankless task. take solace in knowing the only people that matter appreciate the job you do.

All good...was having fun Apoth

I don't take it to heart but I am sure theres a bunch of people who have had similiar experiences.....I never say anything when people complain nor do I ever snap to the whiners who assume the courses are built and maintained by paid personnel.

I was really hoping to start a thread about the THEYs that are out there and having similiar experiences.

Sounds like "They" need to quit whining on a MB and get to work.

Sounds like "They" need to quit whining on a MB and get to work.

just had a weird image of a touching scene where opti was crying on a mans jean shorts and being comforted while a rollercoaster flies by in the background pop into my head...:rolleyes:

:) Just f'ing with ya. And I'm no longer They since we had a kiddo earlier this year. this is about as close to playing as i get these days.

just had a weird image of a touching scene where opti was crying on a mans jean shorts and being comforted while a rollercoaster flies by in the background pop into my head...:rolleyes:

THEY don't cry They don't wear jean shorts They don't go to amusement parks....too busy maintaining the courses for YOUS

I really think clubs should utilize technology to boost volunterism. On dgscene, postings would go to everyone that farorited said course. Work days are always on one weekend, but only get one weekend off a month- if there was to be a weeklong cleanup, I, and I'm guessing many others, would have a better chance of helping.
Guide lines could be outlined by the appropriate member, and everyone just post what they will set forth to do. So for example;

me-" Bob, I see by the list that the ----- on hole -- still needs to be ----- I can head out tomorrow and work on it but I don't have any tools".
Bob-" thanks for the help Ryan, I don't know of anyone that will be out tomorrow besides you so I will leave some tools for you by hole -- thanks again and (small reminder of trimming guidelines).

I have been "they" since we carved a second 18 holes at River Bends in the early 1990s.

And yes, i've heard the "you should've" people before....... the latest one was at Hyzer Creek when Morgan and I were dragging concrete slabs out to the tee locations.

See post #12 Here for the answer to "Isn't it easier to pour concrete tee pads in place?".......