• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

I am also 'They'. It is selfless work, but well worth it. The only time I find things to be frustrating is when punks think that they need to "tag" every structure we build. Thankfully, the city of Rockwall and the Parks Dept. support the DG scene 110% and provide us with the vast majority of our supplies. We, or should I say "They", have it pretty good.

I volunteer for tons of work details and charities simply because it makes me feel good. I quit looking for a "pat on the back" a loooooonng time ago. I know what work I"ve done and that's all that matters.

Whenever I'm around someone who's b@tching about the condition of the course, all I tell them is "Great idea! See you out here Saturday morning. Say around 8:00 a.m. Bring a shovel, saw, clippers, gloves and as many friends as you can find."

It amazes me how many people are sooooooooo busy on Saturday mornings. When they beg off about showing up, I tell them to STFU with the complaints until they're willing to do something about it.

Woodpecker

I can't possibly count the number of times entire weekends were spent on a course preparing for a tournament and then getting more stuff pointed out to you that is wrong or that someone is un happy with. the random guy that complains usually doesn't get me. it is the club member or avid tournament player that knows who is doing the work and still has the balls to point sh!t out. It is a thankless job as we (they) know.

Just wondering if anyone here is one of a handful of volunteers or perhaps the main laborer/caretaker at their course and had this conversation with a random DGer on their course. You know the one it usually goes something like this:
"They need to maintain this course better"
"They need to do something about the tee pads here"
"They need to cut the grass"
or my all time favorites
"They need to clean up the thorns where I lost my disc along fairway such and such"
"They need to build a bridge over that creek"
"They need better signs, short tees"

I always keep my lips shut but I wonder what my actual expression is doing as I am the "they that these people criticize. I wanna hear some stories from other people who actually put the work in that their courses. I have a feeling most of the critics here are not volunteers and do little work on their home courses.

Some of my fellow volunteers say I shouldve punched the one guy in the face for complaining about a tee after we volunteers worked all weekend improving the other 11.

I also love when you are out sweating your ass off covered in cuts from thorns and your alone and clearing schule and some drunk yahoo says something like...."hey you guys need to clear that crap to the left on hole 3 about 150 feet in I always lose my disc in there"

One day perhaps THEY will snap and let these types have it.

I was out working on the course the other day and multiple people asked me if I worked for the city.

As if the city is going to fill the holes in front of the teepads.

I get irritated when people bitch about a course period. Somebody took the time to build a disc golf course where there wasn't one, and 'THEY' are allowing you to play there for free (most of the time). STFU already. If you want a better course, then go buy a few acres and build it your-damn-self.

I used to be the pro that skipped all of the work days and only played on the local courses. I guess I took it for granted. Then the unthinkable happened. John Biscoe moved away from Richmond and there was no one left to run events. I made the decision to take over. Without a local club I did everything. Now there is a local club but in reality i'm still doing as much. They have their events and I have mine. When we have our work days people come out and get the needed work done. It's nice to have volunteers.

The more you do the more others will expect of you. I run a very popular weekly series from April to September. I'm often asked to run a weekend series or a winter series. No one in this area seems to want to invest the thousands of dollars or the time needed to run a series, not even the club. I have no plans on quitting it but I also have no plans to take on more.

Thanks to all TD's and volunteers

Sounds like somebody needs to be posting less and working on their course more. ;)

I'm just saying if THEY had an island and WE had an island things would be a lot better off.

Woody The Woodpecker said:
I quit looking for a "pat on the back" a loooooonng time ago. I know what work I"ve done and that's all that matters.

^Words of wisdom.

Not taking a shot at Opti, by any means, just sayin'. :)

I am the THEY at my local course http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse_map.php#maptop, but I'm happy to say, my situation is different. So far, all I've heard is stuff like "These are great new tee pads THEY put in" and "THEY'RE sure doing a better job lately of keeping trees and bushes trimmed" and that kind of thing. They don't even know that they're talking to THEY.:)

Oh there are plenty of compliments and pats on the back...I just think it's funny when someone assumes you are a park worker when you are working. Or when someone complains about something to you and has no idea your the one responsible because few others ever step up.
As much as I wish more volunteered I also realize that if everyone pitched in whenever they could half of our course would lose trees bushes and it would be completely noobified or redneck machismo'd.
So I will plug along and always remember others plug away elsewhere.

I had one recently a couple was walking their dogs through the course and they commented how the frisbee workers must have taken out a lot of small trees and it's not safe to walk through due to the frisbees being thrown along the trails.

I bit my lip as I explained that the fairways were designed around pre existing lanes and did not mention that the trails they were walking on were actually fairways that were once thorn laden woods and the entire area was unaccessible to foot traffic before the DGers built the course.

most i've done is pour teesigns and take a few trash bags out to the course, but yeah, it gets annoying when you hear people bitch about the trash, then throw their butts on the ground/beer can into the trees behind the hole.

I hear ya. I friend of mine started to get so pissed about garbage and beer cans being all over one of the courses we go to that now whenever we go he brings a garbage bag and fills it. I gotta say it looks a hell of a lot better. I myself have always followed the simple rule that if you bring it in you take it out.

Latest posts