• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I hit a miracle shot at the GoPro Mountain Games this past weekend!

klay

Eagle Member

For context:

This was a the 2015 GoPro Mountain Games disc golf competition in Vail, Colorado. June 6th - 7th.

100+ players competed in three qualifying skills events on Saturday with the top 36 men and 9 women moving on to a Sunday final round.

The three qualifiers were:

- Accuracy: Throw three shots each at three baskets with distances of 100 ft (uphill), 150 ft (uphill) and 200 ft (downhill). Closest of the three shots at each basket scores. Subtract the distance in feet you are away from the basket from 30 to get your point total for that basket (max of 30 for an ace, 5 ft away = 25 pts)

- Putting: Take 10 putts total from distances of 20, 25 and 30 ft. Player chooses what distance and how many to throw from there. A make from 20 ft = 4 pts, 25 ft = 5 pts, 30 ft = 6 pts. No points for misses. Add all made putts for total points.

- Speed + Accuracy: Throw three discs at a wall with three slots of various sizes while recording a speed on the radar gun. Disc must pass through one of the slots for a score to be recorded. Large middle slot = speed of the throw, smaller top slot = speed + 10%, bottom "mail slot" = speed x 2. Best of the three throws is the point total for that round.

I had done reasonably well in Accuracy and extremely poorly in Putting, was sitting around 60th-70th place, and had no other option to go for the mail slot.

This video is the result. I threw 48 mph through the point doubler for a total of 96 points, vaulting me up to 10th overall after the qualifiers and safely into the finals.

Ended up taking advantage of my luck and finishing in a tie for 7th and winning ~$190.

For a first year and totally unique event, this far exceeded expectations and I can only imagine it will be much bigger and much better next year.

Big thanks go out to the following:

GoPro Mountain Games
Vail Valley Foundation
Vibram Disc Golf
Flying Eagle Disc Society

EDIT: Unfortunately, my wife's arm was bumped which stopped the video from recording the ensuing celebrations (which were significant!)

Last edited:
Badass man. Good for you. I was skeptical at how it would turn out as is seemed (this may have been wrong perspective) that DG was sorta thrown in at the end.

But, after seeing the video it looked top notch. Not just the golf but the whole games in general - the atmosphere, the other competitions, and the location all got me thinking that maybe i should try to make it next year.

TBH, I was scrolling around the GPMG Facebook page yesterday evening and an hour later I was 30 minutes into the Bouldering Competition replay - true story.

Edit: I wish the video ran about another 10-15 seconds so we can see more of the reaction.

That Bouldering competition is a drug and its even better in person with that crowd surrounding you.

Definitely try to make this event next year. There is so much going on outside the disc golf comp. Plus, all athletes get an awesome swag bag (worth much more than the small entry fee) free food (Chipotle this year) and drinks (adult drinks!) Friday through Sunday.

I've never seen this sort of competition before.

I have to think it is a truly unique format that Vibram and the Mountain Games put together. If you're familiar with the games, you know they love to put a twist on more traditional competitions and this was that and then some!

Really leveled the playing field in my opinion and, with things like the "mail slot" gave people a shot at the final that may not otherwise have made it in. I believe five total players hit it and four of them advanced because of it.

Best part of the whole thing was the relief in hearing just how much people were enjoying the format. Anytime you do something vastly different than what people are used to, the worry is that it won't be well received. Based on early feedback, I'd say that there will be plenty of return competitors next year.

Awesome job! I need to get down to Eagle for a tag match.

Surprised this didn't get more hype or draw a few touring pros. It looks like fun a fun competition, exposed a ton of non dg athletes to the sport, and gets the attention of many big sponsors.....win,win,win

Were any pDGA reps there?

Very cool! This certainly explains the 126 mph throw that was posted about earlier.

Surprised this didn't get more hype or draw a few touring pros. It looks like fun a fun competition, exposed a ton of non dg athletes to the sport, and gets the attention of many big sponsors.....win,win,win

Were any pDGA reps there?

Disc golf wasn't actually even added to the games until a very short period of time before. Vibram, VVF and our club only had a small window of opportunity to get things organized and ready which included finalizing event logistics pretty much the day-of in certain cases.

With a full year to plan this time, I'm sure the opportunity will be there to get a lot more nationwide advertising out there and attract more skilled athletes.

Very cool! This certainly explains the 126 mph throw that was posted about earlier.

Haha, yeah, I can see where that would be confusing. Adam blasted a forehand through the mail slot only a couple throwers before me. Such a cool atmosphere with the crowd around you ready to erupt when that shot was hit!

Man this looks like a great time. I would be surprised if others didn't borrow from this concept, either as a stand alone event, or as part of a festival.

Man this looks like a great time. I would be surprised if others didn't borrow from this concept, either as a stand alone event, or as part of a festival.

Yeah, its great if you want to bust up the monotony of playing the same old standard disc golf tournaments every weekend.

I had my doubts going in but now I'm a believer. This format is extremely fun.

When people ask what is needed to better grow and improve disc golf as a sport and as a passion for the general population, to me the answer is obvious, just find more people like Klay and Jessie. It is amazing how their relentless and tireless efforts have changed disc golf in the whole region in a short period of time. The success of this event is a well deserved reward for lots of hard work. Steve and Jessie accomplish a lot in the public, community, and promotion side which requires a constant vigilance that is hard to come by. Klay and the FEDS hit more then one mail slot in the GoPro event (I didn't hijack the thread too badly since I did mention the mail slot)

Next year is going to be great, as will all the time before and after.

When people ask what is needed to better grow and improve disc golf as a sport and as a passion for the general population, to me the answer is obvious, just find more people like Klay and Jessie. It is amazing how their relentless and tireless efforts have changed disc golf in the whole region in a short period of time. The success of this event is a well deserved reward for lots of hard work. Steve and Jessie accomplish a lot in the public, community, and promotion side which requires a constant vigilance that is hard to come by. Klay and the FEDS hit more then one mail slot in the GoPro event (I didn't hijack the thread too badly since I did mention the mail slot)

Next year is going to be great, as will all the time before and after.

Thanks for the kind words Mark!

Latest posts