• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I learned a new throw today. The Chicken Wing. Any other throws rarely seen today?

hand grenade?

32mickeys.jpg

heres the hand grenade i need to print this out and putt it in my bag cause i cant every remember how to do it by the time i need to use it. http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html

Thanks to Omega I am learning another throw.

This may sound crazy but part of the fun, for me, is learning as much as I can about the history and culture of things I like. It adds to the overall experience. These throws you rarely see, or reading what Three Putt says about the history of discs or other parts of the game.

It just makes it more fun and in some cases adds to my game.

Marcus "The Irish Hand Grenade" Davis

He packs a punch.

Attachments

• 399px-Marcus_Davis_UFC_80.JPG
    399px-Marcus_Davis_UFC_80.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 10
I've been shown the chicken wing as something completely different than what you are describing (can't watch the video). The guy here that throws tons of chicken wings throws it like a backhand. It's more of a get out of trouble shot that is started pretty much behind the back and releases with a hard hyzer and has a bent elbow from the start.

Must be the geography :p
The one you are describing sounds interesting to say the least

Craigg summed up a few of these shots well. Sure enough I was calling some of my throws "Scoobies" that actually weren't.

"A grenade is a back hand upside down shot. They are generally thrown near vertically, and used to go up and over an obstacle. They land w/backspin - so they have a tendency to stop right where they land.

Scooby is a term that has been appropriated by upside down thumber throwers - changing what many understood the term to mean from many years ago. Originally - a scooby/scoobie was a type of roller. Kind of hard to explain - but basically - take a backhand grip, cock your wrist/do a wrist curl, and put the cup of the disc against your throwing shoulder. As you unfurl your arm - you pop the disc out vertically. The scooby roller is a shot used to get out of trouble - and basically allows you to set the disc down with a lot of spin -right in front of you - and will curl sharply to the right. This is a very awkward throw - that not many people understand or use any more .

Most old-schoolers know what it is - and sort of laugh when newbies start calling their thumber upside down shots scoobies - but whatcha gonna do?"

Thanks to Omega I am learning another throw.

This may sound crazy but part of the fun, for me, is learning as much as I can about the history and culture of things I like. It adds to the overall experience. These throws you rarely see, or reading what Three Putt says about the history of discs or other parts of the game.

It just makes it more fun and in some cases adds to my game.
dont thank me i wouldnt have known about it if it wasnt for valkgirl but its the thought that counts so your welcome hows that grenade working i havnt tried it out yet

I haven't found the chicken wing to be horribly useful for disc golf. It's difficult to perform and requires more room than a normal forehand shot. I guess it's easy to throw over a close object with it, but that's about it.

It's awesome for Ultimate, though. It's easy to get over a nearby defender with it and it's not as hard to throw lids like that, IMO.

I was playing at my home course today and met a guy by the name of Dave Tyree from Richmond VA. We got to talking and played a few holes together. Had a great time listening to him talk. He has been playing steady for over 30 years. We talked mostly discs and throws and he asked me if I had ever heard of a throw called a "chicken wing". I looked at him silly and said no.

After he explained and showed me how I gave it a try. First throw was over 200'. It flies very similar to a flick but it goes straighter longer before the fade.

To do this you hold the disc in your hand with the thumb on the bottom and fingers on top. Kind of an upside down fan grip. You bring the disc from behind, at about waist level, with a sidearm style release, not with the elbow tucked like the flick but with the arm fully extended, and the disc level to the ground. The release point is at about shoulder height. It works like a whip and it comes off the thumb with a lot of spin. I think more than the flick.

I had more power and distance than my flick.

This got me to thinking. All of you guys that have played for a while are there any other throws you rarely see anymore?

I think this chicken wing, in the right circumstance, will help my game. Maybe any others might also.

I went to Destin, Florida a month or two ago and I saw a bunch of older guys throwing like that on the beach. They weren't playing disc golf or anything, they were just throwing a frisbee around. Pretty cool. I tried it once on a course.....rofl.....my disc went in the lake, never to be found again.....by me at least.

dont thank me i wouldnt have known about it if it wasnt for valkgirl but its the thought that counts so your welcome hows that grenade working i havnt tried it out yet

Thanks to both of you.

I have practiced some and it seems to work well. You won't get a lot of distance but if where you need to go is just hte other side it seems to do the job.

There is a certain large! cedar tree that I have a date with. I think I finally have him nest time I get stuck there!

I once saw a guy throw the chicken wing down here in Virginia Beach. Weird.

A shot I don't see much of is the tamahawk/thumber. I see no real use for these except to get out of trouble occasionaly.

i love them, especially with an epic. it allows me to land a disc straight ahead of me and not have to worry about fade at the end.

I was doing some driving practice the other day and was working on throwing a tomahawk. I have been throwing a thumber with a a lot of success, but I have never developed the tomahawk. Anyhow, so i was throwing overhand with two fingers on the inside rim and thumb on top (Forehand grip), I tried throwing at different angles and something amazing happened. I threw some kind of overhand forehand combination shot. Just imagine a forehand except its pulled back like an overhand shot and thrown level with your head. The disc just took off, it went about 425'. After seeing the video of the chicken wing, this shot is similar, has anyone seen something like this or thrown it?

Love the new Avatar Brother Dave!

Nice one Viv!

Thank you, thank you. Back to the subject, I can't see me being so satisfied with my backhand, forehand, and overhand throws that I'd even consider learning new throws.

I was doing some driving practice the other day and was working on throwing a tomahawk. I have been throwing a thumber with a a lot of success, but I have never developed the tomahawk. Anyhow, so i was throwing overhand with two fingers on the inside rim and thumb on top (Forehand grip), I tried throwing at different angles and something amazing happened. I threw some kind of overhand forehand combination shot. Just imagine a forehand except its pulled back like an overhand shot and thrown level with your head. The disc just took off, it went about 425'. After seeing the video of the chicken wing, this shot is similar, has anyone seen something like this or thrown it?

Yeah was doing field practice one day and accidently threw something similiar to this it just took off like a jet...I can't replicate what the hell I did though...what a freaking tease that was! Sooo frustrating!

Latest posts