• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I may have unknowingly developed a forehand.

autocrosscrx

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Sometimes you have have share things with people who understand.

I throw backhands 100% of the time off the tee. My person best measured throw is somewhere in the 335 foot range. I'd say that I average about 290 on open shots and probably more like 250 (or maybe even a bit less) if I have to throw some kind of defined line.

I've periodically tried to develop a forehand, but not much luck. Last time I tried to throw forehands for distance about 6 months ago, I was probably landing short of the 150 foot mark. However, in the last 6 months of playing, I've really working my forehand scramble shots, step out forehand putts, and even forehand rollers. And I've watched a lot of pros throw forehands really well on my television.

Yesterday, I threw discs for the first time in about a month. I played a few holes and ended up finding a Pro Wraith. Before my effort to return it, I wanted to see how it flew. I throw my typical backhand and the disc flew really stable for me. I decided to see if this was a disc that I could forehand.

I end up throwing about 10 or forehands with various drivers (the Wraith, a couple Beasts in my bag, and an Air Ballista). First 2 shots came out really high, turned left, and then basically hit a brick wall, but landed at 250 feet. I was absolutely stoked. I felt like I could maybe hit 300, if I kept my shot down. Next 2 shots were much lower and in the 300 foot range. I threw another grouping of shots, really focused on my elbow and being smooth and I think I put 3 of the 4 just short of my longest drive ever from this spot.

New goal was to beat my longest backhand throw. Next shot felt amazing and ended up measuring out to 366 feet on Udisc. I turned around and threw in the opposite direction and it measured to 359 feet!!!!

Then I got greedy, threw a couple of throwlers and quit before I hurt myself. I may never back this up and I may never translate this into useable distance playing for score on the course, but I think this was/is the most excited that I've been playing disc golf.

Very nice! You worked on short fundamentals of the sidearm flick, and after time, it helped on distance shots. This is extremely helpful for me to hear. I have been using flicks for every shot besides tee (with exception) and putting. Maybe one day it will give me a 300' sidearm.

Rest may have helped as well... heal something you didn't know was strained.

Congratulations. I am also a very backhand dominant player and have been working on a shorter forehand for approaches and tricky get out of trouble shots. Perhaps it's time I started seeing if I can actually get any distance with my forehand.

This is kind of how I developed a FH. Anytime I would take my dog out I would bring my zone and just flick it to trees. Slowly I would shoot for longer trees and it just kept going from there. Now I would say I am 50/50 FH to BH

Next up, practical serviceable forehand to about 250.

I think mirroring my backhand up to about 250 would get me way more than any distance goal.

I feel like "next up" should always be to improve putting, but thats probably just because it's the weakest part of my game (and on top of that I'm in an awful putting slump)

I feel like "next up" should always be to improve putting, but thats probably just because it's the weakest part of my game (and on top of that I'm in an awful putting slump)

Not having my backhand shots hyzer out or turn early in the woods on right finishing holes would massively improve my putting.:)

Similar happened to me FH. Could not Accumulated scramble and approach shots eventually led to a surprising breakthrough of 100+ feet of controllable distance all at once. Still stuck on 300-25 reliable and wider than 9 speeds gets awkward.

My biggest problem throwing backhand only is having low clearance, trees/limbs to the left of the tee.

I. Can. Never. Miss. Them. On. Anhyzer. Release.

Went to the field this morning. Low 40's, light drizzle, slight headwind.

I came nowhere near my distances from the other day, but my decent throws were in the 280 range, with a couple in the 300 - 310 range.

Struggled badly with anything other than distance drivers, so still lots of work to do.

...but I think I showed enough that I'm excited to work on it.

Went to the field this morning. Low 40's, light drizzle, slight headwind.

I came nowhere near my distances from the other day, but my decent throws were in the 280 range, with a couple in the 300 - 310 range.

Struggled badly with anything other than distance drivers, so still lots of work to do.

...but I think I showed enough that I'm excited to work on it.

The struggle with anything other than distance drivers isn't suprising. Whenever I try to throw for max D FH, I usually have to regain my touch with my putters and mids afterwards.

I'm just happy to have something that I can work on and see progress.

I added 60 feet to my longest backhand throw in 2020, but I was usually finding 1 or 3 feet in a session or maybe buying/finding a disk that got me 7 or 8 more feet. And then a lot of times, I didn't find any distance, so I'm moving my target and looking for things like better average distance or my shortest throw went longer or I landed in a smaller circle and so forth. And sometimes, there is no victory at all. And it gets really tedious. So it is exciting to have something new to work towards.