• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I met a Par loving dufus

The concept of par when used by course designers greatly reduces the odds of designing crappy tweener holes. For players imo it matters less.

Me and my friends play a game where you roll dice before holes to decide par.

2-3: par 3
1&4: par 4
5-6: par 5

I think it will mostly even out over time plus it changes things up and sometimes you can get close to a course record.

Keep track of the number of strokes it took to get thru those holes. Repeat and hope it takes less next time.

Well it all sounds so simple eh?

The addiction of golf, thinking we can throw less...

Keep track of the number of strokes it took to get thru those holes. Repeat and hope it takes less next time.

Right? But even simpler is to remember if it was +1 or -3 at the end of a round and if you have done better or worse based on that. Even easier rather than counting up score on each hole forget the pats and just remember the birdies and bogies.

Yeah easier still with everything par3.

I think it will mostly even out over time plus it changes things up and sometimes you can get close to a course record.

This is the post I'm going to quote every time there is a thread about par...

I need to change my signature to this.

Play everything as a par 3. Problem solved.

this is the "old school" mentality that is still plaguing our sport and keeping it from progressing. im glad that more and more courses are starting to get away from this ridiculous thinking. there is no room for this outdated thinking anymore, we need to embrace the modern course designs and the appropriate par for the courses.

Par is important to have correct on any course. par is the best method of comparing your skill as a player to the course you are playing and how it was designed to be played by the course designer. if you have a 500'+ hole and some dunderhead has it at a par 3, every time you are going to leave that hole getting down on yourself because you can never shoot par. come on guys, lets get real and start taking par seriously.

If par had never been invented, it would be re-invented several times a day; every time someone asks: "What's a good score on this hole/course?"

But if par worked as well as those who consider it important think it does work or could work (if only more people took par seriously!) the answer to that question would always be par and therefore meaningless.

AND the perfect post ^^^ just happened while I was writing this one!

Par is important to have correct on any course. par is the best method of comparing your skill as a player to the course you are playing and how it was designed to be played by the course designer. if you have a 500'+ hole and some dunderhead has it at a par 3, every time you are going to leave that hole getting down on yourself because you can never shoot par. come on guys, lets get real and start taking par seriously.

This is ball golf mentality. Trying to put up a number that defines who we are and measuring ourselves with others. This is disc golf. It's hard enough smoking a bowl every 3 holes and trying to keep score. Everything under 700 feet is a par 3. :)

this is the "old school" mentality that is still plaguing our sport and keeping it from progressing. im glad that more and more courses are starting to get away from this ridiculous thinking. there is no room for this outdated thinking anymore, we need to embrace the modern course designs and the appropriate par for the courses.

if you have a 500'+ hole and some dunderhead has it at a par 3, every time you are going to leave that hole getting down on yourself because you can never shoot par. come on guys, lets get real and start taking par seriously.

I bet you have 45 trophies that say "Participant" on your wall, 'cause, you know, society wouldn't want you to feel like a loser. Can't make the grade? Just lower the expectations. [Insert political observation here]:|

Last edited:

Touche' and huzzah, Tyvek. I think that your two detractors might be a couple of those dunderheads to whom you allude.

^^^You know, disc golf isn't credited with existing 45 years ago.

Milo's got an 1150'+ hole #2, and yeah, you better believe its a par 5. But Hiller's par 3 15th at 575' is ok, and I've finally started parring it on a regular basis. Feels good---don't need it rated a par 4 to validate my existence.

Last edited:
This is ball golf mentality. Trying to put up a number that defines who we are and measuring ourselves with others. This is disc golf. It's hard enough smoking a bowl every 3 holes and trying to keep score. Everything under 700 feet is a par 3. :)

Perhaps it is, but that does not make it misguided mentality. The principles of golf, whether
ball and club, disc, foot and soccer ball, or Putt-Putt are the same. Hit, throw, kick or putt your playing object the fewest possible times to complete each hole; lowest score wins. And each hole and course has a designated Par by which one can measure how well or poorly he or she played the hole/course. It may define one in terms of playing ability, but only measures one against the hole/course and him/herself.
Smoking a bowl every three holes? That must be some really crappy weed. We were some of the biggest stoners alive, and the weed was generally pretty crappy when we built Johnson Street in the early 90's, and we only designed bowl holes about every four.
Everything under 700' a 3? Maybe your weed isn't so crappy.

Most people I know that play ball golf say they play bogey golf. That doesn't mean they're happy with +18, every round most of them do par a hole or three. But they know they're not pros and never will play scratch golf.
Disc golfers need to change their attitudes about par and realize most of us are not pros.

I say most are par 3s with very few 4s and now and then a 5 mixed in.
You don't have to shoot under par for it to be a good round. If that's what you're after find a pitch and putt. That's what I do to get a bunch of birdies.

It is probably too late to halt the change now, but I feel that 1000 ft holes are not what dg needs. I'm fine with holes being long(500-700 ft), but it seems like we could fit more holes on a tract of land if we kept everything to a par 3. I am not a course designer, but it is a goal/dream of mine to create 18 holes of magic. If there is extra room to work with you could always put in more holes, a driving range or practice green.

if you have a 500'+ hole and some dunderhead has it at a par 3, every time you are going to leave that hole getting down on yourself because you can never shoot par.

I'm not.

The number someone put on a sign will have no effect on my happiness. Nor even my expectation.

Even on the 580' hole on which I was the very dunderhead who assigned it a Par 3.

You think it is unrealistic to reach a 500' basket in three shots?

It is probably too late to halt the change now, but I feel that 1000 ft holes are not what dg needs.

Completely agree. I've played several 1000' holes. They're dumb. They're long for the sake of being long. Because they are so stupid long these holes have to be stupid wide otherwise even top teir pros would struggle on them. So by necessity they're wide open and unimaginative.

Latest posts