• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I really need advice about putting form.

Kjimsern

Par Member
A little information so you understand my frustration.

So i started playing 3 years ago ish, im trying my best to become a profesional disc golfer, im willing to do anything it takes.

I trained extremely hard for 2 years every single day so i could throw 600 feet bh. ( with the help of seabas )

But i have a problem.

Putting is extremely hard compared to anything ive trained towards in the past.

I'm losing perspective because there has been a massive ammount of putting and training hours.

This is the situation right now and this is where i need opinions.

I can do both a spin putt and a pitch putt.

My stats with spin putt are decent but the release is not clean and i miss right sometimes.
( i dont want to miss right and i want to be above 90% from 30 feet, i average around 85 % indoors)

My pitch/push putt almost never misses right or left but is weak in the wind and has alot slower pace. ( and if i want to compete in the top level i need to have good/fast/strong pace in the putt )
I think the modern disc golfer is gonna have alot more spin in the future.

So what style should i invest into? The pitch putt is the one that's the most comfortable but is it gonna be viable against the future kids?

Im not sure what to do from here, i would love to get some advice.

I'll add a video with my current putting style.
( dont mind the black eye, a vein exploded when i trained explosive weight training the other day )

https://youtu.be/1X_gAB2XAwg

I think so - if you notice how top putters pitch or spin putt, the stagger in the stance still involves the rock like a Figure 8 standstill. Even with a Kevin Jones-style straddle putt there's still more of a rock with the body like "shoveling" the disc at the basket more like a heavy weight than in your recent video.

I think so - if you notice how top putters pitch or spin putt, the stagger in the stance still involves the rock like a Figure 8 standstill. Even with a Kevin Jones-style straddle putt there's still more of a rock with the body like "shoveling" the disc at the basket more like a heavy weight than in your recent video.

Do you think its a problem that i am on my toes with my back foot when i rock back and forth?
I dont feel balanced with it flat on the ground.

In general I think you could have a style where you keep the pressure more toward the ball of the rear foot, but if you get the fundamental rocking motion you should also be able to easily come all the way down to the rear heel (just sharing Simon again since it has good angles on him):

I found it easier to develop stability by practicing getting all the way into the rear heel like Simon on flat ground putts. Practicing in a full range of motion helps your body figure out the mechanics. Then when I need to modify my footing for uneven terrain or slopes, I can use different stances and foot pressures without worrying about it too much because my body works better as a unit. The putt just feels just like a BH standstill but in a forward-facing stance and it makes throw in attempts easier since there's a smaller distinction between a "putt" and a "throw" mechanics-wise.

Right now you're kind of crouched into/over the rear toes, but you don't have the rock forward & back. It needs to be more like marching or walking than squatting. If you want to change those fundamental mechanics I might practice rocking all the way back into the rear heel and focus on making it feel more like walking & rocking your weight between your feet.

It'll feel totally different and might be hard to make such a fundamental change. I'm personally glad to have done it because my putting is much better even when I'm not practicing it thoroughly, and more versatile overall.

In general I think you could have a style where you keep the pressure more toward the ball of the rear foot, but if you get the fundamental rocking motion you should also be able to easily come all the way down to the rear heel (just sharing Simon again since it has good angles on him):

I found it easier to develop stability by practicing getting all the way into the rear heel like Simon on flat ground putts. Practicing in a full range of motion helps your body figure out the mechanics. Then when I need to modify my footing for uneven terrain or slopes, I can use different stances and foot pressures without worrying about it too much because my body works better as a unit. The putt just feels just like a BH standstill but in a forward-facing stance and it makes throw in attempts easier since there's a smaller distinction between a "putt" and a "throw" mechanics-wise.

Right now you're kind of crouched into/over the rear toes, but you don't have the rock forward & back. It needs to be more like marching or walking than squatting. If you want to change those fundamental mechanics I might practice rocking all the way back into the rear heel and focus on making it feel more like walking & rocking your weight between your feet.

It'll feel totally different and might be hard to make such a fundamental change. I'm personally glad to have done it because my putting is much better even when I'm not practicing it thoroughly, and more versatile overall.

First of all, thanks for answering me with that much effort.

I will change it, you seem sure about it.

I just remember trying it and it did not feel great at all.

First of all, thanks for answering me with that much effort.

I will change it, you seem sure about it.

I just remember trying it and it did not feel great at all.

Always get second opinions, I usually make sure I'm checking sources before I share any advice! These are things I'm "paying forward" from others.

I've never had a shortage of help here struggling through things, so I'd encourage posting your first attempts at change. If you make such a big adjustment for something you've been doing this long you usually are worse before you get better, and there's no "one size fits all" so getting feedback is always a good idea!

Always get second opinions, I usually make sure I'm checking sources before I share any advice! These are things I'm "paying forward" from others.

I've never had a shortage of help here struggling through things, so I'd encourage posting your first attempts at change. If you make such a big adjustment for something you've been doing this long you usually are worse before you get better, and there's no "one size fits all" so getting feedback is always a good idea!

I woke up early to try the rocking motion, it feels really weaker power wise, but more stable i guess.

First is pitch putt and second is spin, my target is close so i dont spin that much.

What do you think?

https://youtu.be/rq7u91k4768

It looks pretty solid. You could try to keep front foot planted on the ground of it helps your balance.

I tried the rocking motion instead of squatting during putting practice and im getting more pace on the putt and barely any misses right.

After a few hours it has given me the feeling of confidence and i think this is the way to go forward.

I will continue training hard everyday to get this style of putt integrated into my body 100%.

Here is a clip from todays session

https://youtu.be/KV9camlgRwA

Thanks for the help everyone and have a great season.

A little information so you understand my frustration.

So i started playing 3 years ago ish, im trying my best to become a profesional disc golfer, im willing to do anything it takes.

I trained extremely hard for 2 years every single day so i could throw 600 feet bh. ( with the help of seabas )

But i have a problem.

Putting is extremely hard compared to anything ive trained towards in the past.

I'm losing perspective because there has been a massive ammount of putting and training hours.

This is the situation right now and this is where i need opinions.

I can do both a spin putt and a pitch putt.

My stats with spin putt are decent but the release is not clean and i miss right sometimes.
( i dont want to miss right and i want to be above 90% from 30 feet, i average around 85 % indoors)

My pitch/push putt almost never misses right or left but is weak in the wind and has alot slower pace. ( and if i want to compete in the top level i need to have good/fast/strong pace in the putt )
I think the modern disc golfer is gonna have alot more spin in the future.

So what style should i invest into? The pitch putt is the one that's the most comfortable but is it gonna be viable against the future kids?

Im not sure what to do from here, i would love to get some advice.

I'll add a video with my current putting style.
( dont mind the black eye, a vein exploded when i trained explosive weight training the other day )

Wow! With those numbers, probably not too many people that are good enough to give you advice! But, good luck.

TLDR, so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone…
You need 3 things for a consistent putt:
First, a simple repeatable motion. Work on that first, and the accuracy will be a result. Frankly, I don't see anything really wrong with your motion, except #2 and #3 below.
Second, keep your head as still as possible when your putt is released. Remember that your eyes are rangefinders and your ability to get the correct speed and distance will depend on the rangefinder being as still as possible…
Third, when you are bringing your putter back, pause at the back before you begin the forward motion. This is critical for two reasons: to see your distance to the basket while there's no motion…and it will help you start your forward motion from a consistent starting point.
A couple more thoughts.
There's no substitute for focused practice, and,
Introduce randomness to your practice (throwing 5 or 10 in a row helps repeatability, but on the course only the first one counts) so that you are throwing that first putt after other random tasks.
Hope this helps,

TLDR, so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone…
You need 3 things for a consistent putt:
First, a simple repeatable motion. Work on that first, and the accuracy will be a result. Frankly, I don't see anything really wrong with your motion, except #2 and #3 below.
Second, keep your head as still as possible when your putt is released. Remember that your eyes are rangefinders and your ability to get the correct speed and distance will depend on the rangefinder being as still as possible…
Third, when you are bringing your putter back, pause at the back before you begin the forward motion. This is critical for two reasons: to see your distance to the basket while there's no motion…and it will help you start your forward motion from a consistent starting point.
A couple more thoughts.
There's no substitute for focused practice, and,
Introduce randomness to your practice (throwing 5 or 10 in a row helps repeatability, but on the course only the first one counts) so that you are throwing that first putt after other random tasks.
Hope this helps,

Thanks, i will keep this in mind.

Latest posts