• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think I am getting burned out

As one who has been with the sport for over 20 years, there's nothing like diversifying your activities in disc golf to keep from getting burned out and staying involved. Playing is just one part of the sport. Various things I've done and continue to do in various amounts over the years: Volunteer to help design or improve courses, be involved in the club, run leagues, run or or volunteer with events, recruit and teach new players, write articles, take pictures, create videos, play other formats like doubles, skins, glow or throw Super Class, plus travel to play new courses.

Yeah, I completely understand. I was out at my course the other day, and I was like "I'm so bored with my home course". (See pics, there's not much to it) There is no one else to play with. Not that I'm against teaching someone in the ways of Disc Golf. But, Damn, It would be nice to call one of my friends, have them pick up their discs, and meet me on the course! I know, I've said it a bazillion times. All of the good courses are 60 miles North or South. I know we've got courses on the way, but that is going to happen over the course of the next 2 years. Until then I'm stuck with either paying too much to play or driving 25 miles. So I feel ya! I'm jonesing to make it up to Castle Hayne or down to Charleston. I hate being unemployed!:wall:

#1 thing to remember Disc Golf is Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you starting taking this sport to seriously youll get burned out. i took almost 6 months off from disc. didnt play at all or even look at my discs. then one day i wanted to play again. and i always remember that disc golf is fun, good or bad play.
also, you have to play another sport thats totally unrelated. i for instance mountain bike and hike. and eventually will find the money to get back into canoeing. some friends like to go bowling. pretty much any other sport will do.

My apologies, I guess I needed to vent and get it out of my system! :eek:

theres no crying in disc golf.:|

man up. you dont want to play? quit. if youre not getting any joy out of it, whats the point?:\

This. :clap:

I've been playing solidly for the last 2.5 years, and on and off for the last 8. In all that time, I've never felt any desire to take time off. For a while I was playing 36 holes every single morning, and about half the days my gf would come home and want to play, and that was always fun and interesting to me. If it stops being that way, stop playing and find something else to be excited about.

Get a new driver. New drivers are always the best because the yeild instant results. Even if you don't like it it will still be exciting!

If you do decide to give it up. PM me and I'll send you my address so you can send all that useless plastic my way. :D. But seriously, though, take a break for a week.

Try to catch a local A Tier or big tournament. Don't play, just go watch the Pro division. Watch how much fun they have and how good they are. This will remind you of all the things that you need to work on. This may help to spark the fire again and strive for better results. This has worked for me with other sports in the past, but I have yet to try it with DG.

Let me first say that I love this sport. I think about it all the time. I think about it more than sex.
For some reason the last few times I played, I had a good time, but it just seems like the spark is not there. I felt like I could have been somewhere else and been fine with that. I think I am just getting burned out. It was a beautiful day outside today, and I didn't even want to play today. Anyone else ever felt like this,and what did you do about it?

I think you need to play a round with me. After a day with me you will feel much better about disc golf and your own game.

I have been like that before. Once I told my friends im hanging my bag up and I did for a couple months... But then I got that urge to go back at it and have been playing hard since then. But just remember to have fun and not take it to serious. For instance this past weekend I played in a tourney First round went pretty well probly around a 930 rated round 2nd round went so bad it may not even count aginst me and im a 902 rated player so you know how bad of a round that was. But the important thing was I still had fun.

Yea, I am really thinking about heading out there next Sunday. I really need it. I will call you this week and we will work out the details.

If you and Trampy1 wanted to try Oak Meadow on Sunday just let me know. I will probably be out there around 2:00.

Midnight; hows your forehand or overhand? Roller?

I find I am always envigorated by learning a new shot.

im getting a little burned out, ive been playing alot lately... winter is my dg season because i dont play much in the summer with my ocean sports being priority

spend some time doing something totally different.

Recently I purchased and brought out a few new board games and have been playing with my family. Also bought an Xbox 360 game and played a bit.

We also went sledding this weekend.

\/\/

Living in Wisconsin and hating the cold, I have the luxury of never becoming burned out. Take some time off MB, and discgolf less frequently.

I love this game, but I've never felt the need to be so obsessed that it ever got to the point where because it was [insert whatever reason here] that I had to go play disc golf. If my heart wasn't up to it that day, I went and did something else. The course will be there tomorrow. If I'm still not in the mood then, it will be there the day after that.

And I've seen plenty of people I've played tournaments with get burned out and take some time off. More often than not, they usually find their way back.

the winter weather here is usually about high 40's to low 50's my friends and i usually cant ever think of anything else to do so we play alot... we do like to change our game up by making some wacky rules to keep things fresh and exciting

Take a short break and do something different. Then when you start playing again try some different courses and lose half of your bag. Just bring a putter, a mid, and a driver and learn to shape lines with them. When I travel I bring anywhere from 4 to 6 discs and have to learn to create some shots I didn't think I could do. Plus courses that you haven't seen are always a challenge and more fun.

Latest posts