• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I want a new putter...

Decided to pick up a 175 black Voodoo and a 174 pink Wiz, both soft. We'll see what happens. Thanks again for all the input!

Good move. Soft is a great choice because it feels tacky and spongy on your hand but it's still a firm disc that you can really grip and drive with it too.

i've used the following:

magnets
beadless aviars
small bead aviars
KC Pro aviars
JK Pro aviars
Yeti Pro aviars
cryztal challengers
rhynos
pigs
voodoos
ions

and wizards

i think i've settled on the wizards

you can find soft ones for cold days/grabbing chains, stiffer ones for warm days/drives and gummy durable ones for playing in the woods.

the problem is that its a crap shoot if you're buying them online, but most people can tell you what they feel like.

Made a couple of long putts with my Ion today, so my confidence with that one is back up. Still, everyone raves about Gateway putters, so I am excited for mine to arrive.

Anything from Gateway would be a great test, Id go with a wizard or voodoo. if you like putters frim get a soft if you like them soft get a super stupid soft. I have a soft wiz and voodoo both feel firm. SSS Wiz I have has a little more gummy feel, still not floppy per say but has noticeably more give.

...I have played with the Ion and Swan 2, as well as the Magnet and Yeti Pro Aviar. But, my plastic obsession has the best of me and I want to try something new. Suggestions? Go!

Here is some advice, buy a star Aviar Driver (big bead) and love that thing to death.

After three years, the star Aviar has been in and out of my bag at the start and now it stays in my bag. Stays. I just bought a Aviar Driver and I am really liking it...

Putters are a disc that you want to get to know very well. You want to play with it over and over and keep playing with it. The Aviar has a basic shape that other putters fall around. The HYDRA is an excellent disc, I'm not fond of the feel of the plastic but it is another disc that STAYS in the bag. It is a floating putter and it is in the vein of the Aviar type flight.

In short, screw around and have fun but try to get busy finding a putter you like then STICK TO IT.

I could care less if you choose an ION or what ever. Learn it and continue to use it. Love the hell out of it, find one that you can replace if it gets lost so you are not out.

But shopping around for plastic is shopping around for plastic.

I just bought a sweet set of black SSS putters, Wizzard and Warlock. Sweet discs, I like them very much but in close where I like to do my putting, my Aviar wins the highest percentage of makes for me. It's what I know. If I started out using a Warlock, I'de probably be using them now but I didn't.

Find a putter and stick with it if you like it. (I should have just said that)

Keep searching and find a putter that stands out to you. As long as its not a pig or zone or something crazy, that should be the one you go with. I can't say enough about having a putter in your hands and thinking you can make most putts with it. Putting is very mental. Whether its brand, stamp, name, plastics, whatever. If something makes you really drawn to a putter, you'd be well served to go for it.

Great advice, stick with it.

If you just want something for putts (i.e. in the circle), use whatever feels right in your hand. You can make just about anything work at that range, though some of the discs at the extreme ends of the stability spectrum are going to be a little harder to work with. If you also want a putter that's going to be good for driving and upshots, you should probably start by trying the traditionally shaped putters like bb aviars, wizards, challengers and ions. If those are too stable for your style, try beadless aviars, magnets, magics or anodes.

Aviar. There's a reason almost every top pro putts with one.

That would be the reason why I chose one but the reason why I use one is because I've tried many many others.

Wizard. Theres a reason THE top pro uses them. Deserves the hype.

That would be the reason why I tried one and went back to my Aviar.

Neat thread, enjoying reading all the suggestions and matching them to the person who posts them.

I've been hitting some great putts with my Champ Spider lately. It might be me, but that thing seems to just want to seek the chains.

Voodoo Super Stupid Soft. It's similar to the wizard but I find the voodoo to be more comfortable.

So I was out with the Ion again today, and man did it kill me on roll aways. Do the Wizard and Voodoo have this problem, or do they plop down pretty nicely?

So I was out with the Ion again today, and man did it kill me on roll aways. Do the Wizard and Voodoo have this problem, or do they plop down pretty nicely?

No problems with roll aways here, and I putted with both Voodoo SSS and Wizard SS today. My brother uses an Ion and it's definitely an issue for him. Just don't let the Ion hit the ground and it will never roll. :p

Omega SS. I have a main putter and 4 for driving duties. They are stable/overstable new. I have an overstable, straight/overstable, straight/turnover, turnover. They are great fore driving.

Last edited:
I have been a Magnet fan for years, but I have discovered the Soft Focus, and I love it. Comes out of my hand an little better than the Magnet. I still use a Soft Magnet for drives off the tee, but I love the Soft Focus for approaching and putting

Latest posts