• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] I want a Star Wraith made by Discraft.

I throw wraith a main driver and heard surge was similar but I still cam never get consistentcy and distance like I do with my star wraith. Have a nice batman dye or surge, and white ESP if looking to trade.

Yes, surges are just a bit flippier, but they are amazing!!! Definatly get one, ESP plastic if you're looking for a star equivelent

Surge SS...get ESP FLX...or get a DGA Rogue, their plastic is probably the best on the market...

If you are worrying about the Surge being a little less stable get a FLX platic one as they seems to be slightly more stable than Z plastic.

My experience is that Wraiths are a little better into a headwind, or are slightly more HSS. But the Surge is what's in my bag, and it's one hell of a long tailwind driver.

I am a converted wraith thrower the disc I replaced it with was the pulse, I must be the only person out there with pulse love, its my go to driver. I have two in the bag and a brand new one waiting til one of the others gets to beat or lost. I really am about to stock pile them as they are not very popular and im afraid future runs may not happen.

I am a converted wraith thrower the disc I replaced it with was the pulse, I must be the only person out there with pulse love, its my go to driver. I have two in the bag and a brand new one waiting til one of the others gets to beat or lost. I really am about to stock pile them as they are not very popular and im afraid future runs may not happen.

pulse is great, did not get very much attention with the force coming out shortly after. this probably is the stable counterpart to the Surge. if you like the extra stability of the Wraith the Pulse could be a great fit. but I agree with you.... the Pulse will probably not be produced in the short future.

I currently have a Valkyrie as my distance driver... I was thinking about picking up a wraith or a surge to try out something a little faster than the valk. I think am going to go with the surge.

ESP Surge gets flippy pretty fast...faster than a Z Surge SS IMO. I need to try out a Z Surge, but just haven't got around to it yet. My ESP Surge lasted about a month before it became a pure hyzer-flip disc. It's pretty much impossible to get a pure hyzer out of it.

Last edited:
Most if not all stems from different plastics in different molds don't always act the same. Especially when you're using a "Blend" of plastics, which is two different plastics. Getting these to act the same all the time is very hard to do, as they don't control the amount of each plastic that's put into each mold. One could come out more champ, one could come out more Pro. Some beat in fast, some beat in slow. ESP does have this happen, but not nearly on such a large scale. I'm sure they monitor their plastic closer. But, then comes cooling and room temp, how disc are stacked to cool, and many many other things that can affect them. All in all, if you want to get consistency, buy more than one disc at a time from the same run. This is one of the only ways to possibly ensure consistency.
Not sure how anyone could say this without knowing the injection molding process Innova uses intimately? I'd like to know what you are using as reference other than personal experience as well. Not trying to call you out here, but without knowing when/how the plastic is mixed/blended before the molding process, this would be purely speculation.

Yeah, you will want a Surge. Or if you want it to act more like a beat in wraith, get a Surge SS.

They do make the Surge in the ESP FLX plastic as well. A good choice if you ask me.

I throw a 175 Star Wraith (HEAVILY beat in without cracks or edge knicks - flys very consistent), which is my fall back from my new 171g Halo. I also have an ESP FLX Surge 175g that I use for upwind shots. The Surge doesn't flip for me at all. It's not quite broken in as much as it should be, but I've noticed the the FLX plastic that it really doesn't "break in" or have a noticeable change once it is broken in, but this is just my personal experience. So to the questions...

How different are the flights for the ESP vs FLX Surge at 170-175?

I throw a 168g ESP Force to bend right a lot, but have not had the luck at all with the Surge (mind you, I understand that the higher weights require more flick or snap to get them to turn over).

I currently have a Valkyrie as my distance driver... I was thinking about picking up a wraith or a surge to try out something a little faster than the valk. I think am going to go with the surge.

Remember that you are also getting more overstable with these 2 discs. I know for me that I have problems with understable discs now, unless I release them slightly hyzer, as they just continue to go right for me, even over 170g.

I have an ESP Surge 168g and a Champ Wraith 171g. They fly 99.9% the same. My Surge is the tiniest bit less stable, but who knows if that's plastic, weight, or mold...probably impossible to tell.

Chief, I'd just hold every wraith and surge you can at a store and see which one feels best in your hand. The biggest difference is probably the grip of the different plastics.

I have an ESP Surge 168g and a Champ Wraith 171g. They fly 99.9% the same. My Surge is the tiniest bit less stable, but who knows if that's plastic, weight, or mold...probably impossible to tell.

Chief, I'd just hold every wraith and surge you can at a store and see which one feels best in your hand. The biggest difference is probably the grip of the different plastics.

That is the plan I hope to hit the store tomorrow before hitting the course.

I love the wraith, its my fav. But I notice there are two types of wraiths, one is more flat than the other. I notice this in other Innova disc too. I always try to by two that are the same with the same hand writting. I prefer the more round or domie, and *wr instead of s-wr.

The Surge's rim is a touch thinner than the Wraith, so it feels a little less bulky. I feel like I get more spin on it, due to this. I would recommend an ESP to start and beat it in a bit. I traded for a used one, so some of the work was already done for me. I also have a newish Z, it is a touch more stable. I'm not a huge arm, but am probably pushing 370 with it. Haven't gotten to a football field yet to verifiy distance, but I can throw it 25-30 ft past my Avengers, so far.