• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Iceman's bag

Iceman1

Bogey Member
Ok, so I'm new to the board and have been reading on several different forums as of late just to gather information and this seems like the place to be to get a good response. I had surgery on my foot about 2 months ago and haven't been able to play, so I'm getting my disc golf fill viacriously through other people on message boards ;). I'd like to know what y'all seem to think about my bag and possible gaps or overlaps I have, so I'll start off with about my game and local courses.

I'm a RHBH thrower with golf D from 325-350, max D up to 400. I live in West Texas, so the geography is all flat, little to no trees, and always very windy. My local course has very few tunnel shots and most holes are 350-400 feet depending on the current pin placement. So here's my bag right now.

Distance Drivers:
*ESP Surge- go to driver, can control it better than anything I've ever thrown.
*ESP Force- long hyzers or long head wind shots. Mine are flat topped and fly like longer Preds.

Utility:
*Champion Monster- thumbers and tomahawks. Used to be a pitcher so I throw these more often than spike hyzers to go over things.

Fairway Drivers:
*Z Stalker- longer Buzzz. Thrown on just a slight hyzer and it flies dead-nuts straight.
*ESP Preadator- headwinds, spike hyzers, and overall meat hook.

Midranges:
*ESP Buzzz- fairly beat that will hyzer flip and hold a line.
*Z Buzzz- brand new, and is a little more stable than my ESP.
*ESP Zone- technically a putter, whatever. The top on mine is concave, so instead of being like a Drone, it's more what I'd expect out of a wasp.
*FLX Drone- meat hook midrange. I've frequently played in wind gusts of 50 mph, and this disc still won't flip.

Putters:
*D Banger GT- main putter, grabs the chains.
*ESP Banger GT- short approaches and some drives (not a fan of driving with putters).

Discs on Audition
Drivers:
*Champion Boss vs. ESP Nuke- I only throw the Boss on a couple holes that are wide open and 500+ ft. long. Not my most accurate disc, but I can consistently throw it 375+. I got the Nuke for Christmas and have yet to throw it. I've been hearing from other people I know that it flies like a longer Surge, which would fit my cup of tea perfectly.
*X Avenger vs. Z Avenger SS- I found the Avenger one day and it was already very beat to a hyzer flip into anny disc. It's not quite to the understable point of the SS, but not far off. Just trying to decide which one I like better.

Other Discs in my Bag (rarely thrown, just space fillers and water discs)
*Pro Wraith- beat to crap, water disc.
*Champion Groove- suck. Water disc.
*ESP Pulse- The few times that I flick a disc, I usually flick this one.
*D Challenger- just recently got it, playing around with it more than anything.

I'm interested to see what y'all think about this set up. I know this site especially pushes bag minimalism, but I'm a broke college student, so I don't like to risk losing good discs. I'd like some opinions in the following discs. I feel like I have some holes in my fairway driver slot for something in between the Stalker and Predator in stability and an understable control driver. My biggest problem I have with most fairway drivers is how small the rims are. I'm 6'5'' and have huge hands, so the small rims make it hard for me to get a consistent release. I also want an understable mid for a nice, soft 200 ft. and in anny.

Stable Fairway:
*Z Avenger- stable fairway in between the Pred and Stalker?
*Champ or Star Teebird- I had for a while, but lost it to a friend in a bet and never really learned the disc. Would it be worth getting another one?

Understable Fairway:
??? Maybe an XL?

Understable Midrange:
I'm thinking either an ESP Meteor or getting a D or X Buzzz and beating it in till it'll flip real quickly. I'd like to hear some feed back on both the Meteor and how the lower end plastic Buzzz's beat in and fly.

I know this has been an exceptionally long post, but I have a lot of questions and figured putting them in one place would be the easiest thing to do. Any thoughts anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum and Merry New Year!

Your primary bag as it stands now looks good. I suggest trying the Pred for overhand shots. It does not disappoint. that way you could drop the Monster. Also you could drop the Drone and just use either the Pred or the Monster (should you decide to keep it). You should also try flicking the Predator, thus eliminating the Pulse

as for your fairway slot I would go with the Avenger. It has more line shaping capabilities than a TB and a wider rim.

The XL is a good disc especially in the woods. But since you said you play wide open courses you could realistically get away with powering down the Avenger-SS or really cranking a flippier Buzzz. Give the XL a try and see what you think.

I can't really comment on the Meteor since I haven't thrown one but it has a good fan base here.

Hope your foot heals soon.

keltik said:
Welcome to the Forum and Merry New Year!

Your primary bag as it stands now looks good. I suggest trying the Pred for overhand shots. It does not disappoint. that way you could drop the Monster. Also you could drop the Drone and just use either the Pred or the Monster (should you decide to keep it). You should also try flicking the Predator, thus eliminating the Pulse

as for your fairway slot I would go with the Avenger. It has more line shaping capabilities than a TB and a wider rim.

The XL is a good disc especially in the woods. But since you said you play wide open courses you could realistically get away with powering down the Avenger-SS or really cranking a flippier Buzzz. Give the XL a try and see what you think.

I can't really comment on the Meteor since I haven't thrown one but it has a good fan base here.

Hope your foot heals soon.

I appreciate the input and thanks for the welcome!

I used to throw Preds for overhand shots, but lost my first run I had in water trying to land it next to basket right on the water's edge. This sounds like a good idea though and would make the Monster a water disc now :D.

I'm still not completely sure how I feel about the drone. Before I had it I used to power down on a Pred in high wind situations, but the FLX just won't skip away. I haven't played in about 2 months, so I'll just have to do some expirementing with both when I get back out.

There's not a single hole on my home course where I would need an XL, but I'm hoping to start branching out and playing tournaments this year. I've been playing quite a bit with our local pro and other guys that are overall really good players and they keep telling me that they're gonna make me go to some tourneys with them, so something for a wooded course sounded useful.

Gracias amigo!

Well I hadn't played in about 4 months and finally got cleared last week to start doing things again. I've played a handful of rounds now, and while I'm not getting nearly the distance as I was before (maxing out at 325-350) I'm getting my game back pretty rapidly. I shot my best game ever today at -7! Granted the pins were in the shorter placements, but my previous best score even in this placement was a -3.

My core bag has remained the same, but I'm still doing a lot of expirementing.

Drivers:
2 ESP Nukes- ones a first run and one is a Memorial stamp. Replaced the champ Boss as my pure max D disc. Don't have thr arm for it yet, but I'm working my way back.
3 ESP Surges- go to driver. Still my longest flyer till I'm getting my snap back enough for the Nuke.
2 ESP Forces- longer Preds. Max D into a head wind.

Fairway:
2 Z Stalkers- longer Buzzzes. 1 is Glo.
2 ESP Predators- head winds, forehands, and tomahawks.

Expiremental fairway drivers:
Z Avenger vs. P PD- I like both so far. I got them with the idea that into a head wind they'll flip and fly straight rather than the huge fade of the Pred.
Z Avenger SS vs. ESP XL- haven't used either one of these very much. I need to just field test them to figure out which one I like better for turnovers and rollers.

Midrange:
1 ESP Meteor- short turnover drives. Love it so far.
3 Z Buzzes- 1 Glo the other two are normal Z. Best there is!
1 ESP FLX Drone- mini Pred. Not thrown often, but does it's job when needed.

Putters:
2 D Banger GTs- main putters.
1 ESP Zone- love this thing for upshots and short drives.

The Avenger isn't a fairway driver, it's a distance driver almost like a Starfire. It's a usually a bad sign when you have more distance drivers than fairway drivers.

It's been a while since I posted my bag. Hasn't changed a whole lot.

Distance Drivers:
ESP Nuke- Mostly for fun. not real controllable, but by far my farthest flying disc. Only a couple of wide open 500+ft. holes I use it on
ESP Surge- Go to driver. I carry several most of the time. 1 beat, 1 new, and 1 that's light for tailwinds.
ESP Force- Headwind distance, longer Preds. Situational disc for when the wind is too much for my Surge.

Fariway Drivers:
P and S PD- More of a tweener than a true fairway, but I use it for both distance and controlled shots. If side winds become too much of an issue for my Surge or Stalker, then this gets the call. P is beat and flies super straight, S is newer and has a little bit better wind fighting ability. Also my forehand disc.
Z Stalker- go to disc for shorter holes. Flies soooo straight!
ESP and D XL- Understable duties. the D is trashed for rollers.
ESP Predator- Wind fighter, skip shots, over hand shots, etc.

Midrange:
ESP Meteor- Short turnover shots.
Z Buzzz- Favorite disc.
FLX Drone- Mini Pred. FLX keeps it from skipping away on the landing.

Putters:
D Banger- Main putter.
ESP Zone- Driving putter and windy, touch upshot disc.

I've also added an experimental bag of other random discs I have lying around that I've never thrown much.
Drivers:
Pro Katana
Z Avenger
Z Avenger SS

Fairway:
DX Eagle
Star Teebird

Midrange:
X Comet

Putters:
Soft Magnet
KC Pro Aviar