• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

I want to hear more about the Vortex. Also any other cool disc history lessons that you wish to impart upon those of us who are of the younger generations.

To me a Vortex was a cross between a Roc and a Firebird. With everything being basically base plastic back then it would break in to be a sweet turn over disc with a reliable fade.

I know Vortex was Discraft but I compare with Innova because I know them better.
The Vortex was the Wasp before the Wasp; it was the first Roc-ish Discraft mid. They were pretty damn OS out of the box so you could torque on one pretty good. I had one I used to throw in the Winter when it got windy back in the day.

What was different was the plastic; the Vortex was a really early Discraft disc so I don't remember it being released. It was just always there. Discraft at the time had one DX-ish kind of plastic and that is what it was run in. So far as I was aware at the time, neither that plastic or DX plastic had a name, it was just Discraft plastic and Innova plastic.

Note: Discraft earlier had this bulletproof base plastic that the Phantom + was run in (the plastic that turns to dust in your hands now 30+ years later after it has broken down) that people talk about, but the Vortex was run in a more conventional DX-ish plastic. Discraft had discs like the Eclipse, Tracer, Marauder, and Shadow and they were all run in this base plastic.

Then the Cyclone came out. The Cyclone was run in a different plastic. The "old" plastic became Competition plastic and the "new" Cyclone plastic was Tournament Pro plastic. Tournament Pro didn't replace Competition plastic, though. All the older Discraft molds and the Magnet stayed in Competition plastic. Going forward the new molds like the Cyclone, X-Clone, Comet, Stratus, etc. were released in Tournament Pro plastic.

Except the Hawk and Vortex. The Hawk as mentioned was sold in both. The Vortex to my knowledge was the only older mold that they converted to Tournament Pro plastic. It wasn't sold in both plastics at the same time, but you essentially had two generations of Vortex based on the plastic.

Two problems. #1 was the Roc was king and people liked the Roc feel for mids, so people tended not to like the feel of the "new" Vortex in the hand. (Note: this was always my theory as to what there were two Hawks; too many people still wanted the Roc feel in the hand.) The discs also molded up differently, the old Vortex was noticeably flatter than the new Vortex. The new Vortex was a bit less stable than the old ones. Not enough to make them flippy junk, but... My theory on that was that the Vortex had an odd wing that was not all that durable, so making it a Tournament Pro disc helped the wing hold up longer.

So by the late 90's it was a slow selling old mold. The Comet was their new hotness midrange. They introduced the MRX in the first round of Elite Pro discs (yet another plastic with its own lineup; it was awhile before Discraft adopted the Innova "same mold in multiple plastics" idea) which was a small diameter OS mid. The Vortex was quietly dropped and no one seemed to notice or care.

Which was weird since it was still the closest thing to a Roc they had. Why they didn't promote it more is a mystery. About 5-6 years later they finally replaced it with the Wasp.

Probably the extreme concave/thin wing design doomed it as discs moved forward. Like the X-Clone, it's a design they got away with back in the 90's. Today people would howl about the durability, and I'm sure it wouldn't mold up in Z or ESP.

That's all I know about a Vortex...

Gratuitous picture of Tournament Pro Vortex:

picture.php

Last edited:
I used to play at a course in Dallas in the 80s, maybe B.B. Owen, IDK. Maybe it's not there anymore. As I recall it was at the Lake Highlands rec center. Anyway, my old discs. Couple of odd putters and some more common ones. The pink putter is really soft/floppy but was/is maybe my fav.

Attachments

• IMG_2255.jpg
    IMG_2255.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 23
Couple more...

Attachments

• IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 16
That Dead Head might be a Super Puppy but won't know without a profile picture.

Some cool old discs there. :thmbup:

That Dead Head might be a Super Puppy but won't know without a profile picture.

Some cool old discs there. :thmbup:

Like this?

None of these have any text except the pink putter, which I now recall was sold to raise money for the back nine at "Skyline"—what we called the course we used to play.

Attachments

• 3BE8868C-C9DF-4A75-B6E6-28AAEE06E0D2.jpg
    3BE8868C-C9DF-4A75-B6E6-28AAEE06E0D2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 15
Like this?

None of these have any text except the pink putter, which I now recall was sold to raise money for the back nine at "Skyline"—what we called the course we used to play.

Yup, like that and imo it looks like a Super Puppy.

If that was new with that color stamp it'd be worth something extra.

Yup, like that and imo it looks like a Super Puppy.

If that was new with that color stamp it'd be worth something extra.

I suspect that pink putter may be as well-"Disc Golf Association Lakeport . Calif . 95453" stamped on the backside. I have always been curious about the material as it is so rubbery.

I suspect that pink putter may be as well-"Disc Golf Association Lakeport . Calif . 95453" stamped on the backside. I have always been curious about the material as it is so rubbery.

I have a Gumbputt that feels like you described and has a very similar profile as your Dead Head. But my GP has Innova tooling.

Attachments

• Gumbputt 175.jpg
    Gumbputt 175.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 7
I have a Gumbputt that feels like you described and has a very similar profile as your Dead Head. But my GP has Innova tooling.

Could be. Been wanting to look at these for a while. Thnx for the info.

Attachments

• CAB01F08-AEF5-4CEB-8B80-8D3C8F002A35.jpg
    CAB01F08-AEF5-4CEB-8B80-8D3C8F002A35.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18
I used to play at a course in Dallas in the 80s, maybe B.B. Owen, IDK. Maybe it's not there anymore.

Those baskets got moved to BB Owen off Plano Rd just south of LBJ. Watch for broken glass/needles/etc.

Welcome back :thmbup:

Those baskets got moved to BB Owen off Plano Rd just south of LBJ. Watch for broken glass/needles/etc.

Welcome back :thmbup:

Well, about the time I moved there were conflicts with other people using the park. I rolled quite a few through a picnic on accident.:doh:

Could be. Been wanting to look at these for a while. Thnx for the info.

Looking at these I "think" the white and pink ones are Puppies rather than Super Puppies. Also, not figuring out the Innova Champion. Seems like there were a few styles and this is obv. a custom for the T-shirt shop. Gotta be from '84 or so. Don't think it's an XD.

Looking at these I "think" the white and pink ones are Puppies rather than Super Puppies. Also, not figuring out the Innova Champion. Seems like there were a few styles and this is obv. a custom for the T-shirt shop. Gotta be from '84 or so. Don't think it's an XD.

Of the three in the stacked profile picture none of them are XDs if that's what you mean.

Not the stacked, but this one.

Says Innova Champion but I don't know enough to know the succession.

Profile and bottom picture would help.
Profile shows it's an XD and bottom should show about when it was made

But the way that's chipped it does look like the plastic for the old XDs.

Latest posts