• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild for a novice

Burky

Going down for our annual trip to King's Island from NE Ohio this weekend ( we have cedar point season passes) Thought about going down to Idlewild but curious about a few things. According to this site I'm a 812 player. Drives 250- about 325( very inconsistent) Is Idlewild too much course for me at my level. Played about thirty courses and some are long (Deis Hill Park). Opinions on whether I should get my game in better shape and play some of the other cincy/NK courses until my game gets better. I've read some of the other threads about keeping it in play but my question is if I would find it enjoyable or just a straight up beat down.

Also is it crazy busy on Sunday mornings. That's probably the time I'd have to slot it in.
Thanks for all the help.

As long as you know that it is brutal and are prepared for the beating, it's plenty fine for novices. I started playing there years ago after getting bored with its mostly open and short neighbor, Boone Woods. If you're staying up near Kings Island, I would consider Osage Grove in Goshen. It's a great course and very close. It's less punishing and an absolute blast.

Thanks man I'll have to look up osage grove. Played Mason Sports park in the spring and really enjoyed it. Might go there again too.

play idlewild. there's no such thing as "too much course for me at my level". it would be a good idea to get a local just to have some local knowledge though. start an idlewild thread in the Vacation forum.

Play Lincoln Ridge (banklick) as well if you can, I think it is a little more novice friendly and a beaut of a course at that.

play idlewild. there's no such thing as "too much course for me at my level". it would be a good idea to get a local just to have some local knowledge though. start an idlewild thread in the Vacation forum.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

It is ultimately just a walk in the park. This is a very nice park. The features and uniqueness of this course should be seen. Have a good trip man.

Play Lincoln Ridge (banklick) as well if you can, I think it is a little more novice friendly and a beaut of a course at that.

Idelwild is a must play course, but being about the same player as you if you can only play one Lincoln Ridge may be a better option. Just as good of a course a lot of beauty and is a bit easier. Lincoln Ridge easy makes my top 5 courses, and although Idlewild is a top 5 course, I don't think it makes my top 5 courses, although I rated it better then Lincoln Ridge because it deserves a betters score.

Take a look at the local website http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/ because they do have a weekly round at Idlewild on Sundays. They only talk about the round in the Forum titled Doubles @ IDLEWILD - ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. I don't think a ton of people play in it and I think it starts at noon so it should not affect your round.

The Cincinnati page might give you another option to meet people

Lincoln Ridge might have a much higher fun factor than Idlewild for lower-skilled players looking for something challenging and unique.

That said, I SUUUCK and I loved every second of my brutal Idlewild beatdown. I think it just boils down to your attitude, mental fortitude, and love for adventure golf.

I'd say go to Idlewild, play the first several from the long tees, and if it doesn't suit you, switch to the short tees. If still not digging it, skip out to the parking lot after hole (I think) 8, and take the 5 minute or so drive to Lincoln Ridge.

Also, Osage Grove is an awesome course in its own right.

My 2cents.

I agree that as long as you know it's rough, play Idlewild no matter your level of play.

I also agree Lincoln Ridge would be much more fun and also challenging.

I guess it all depends on your definition of fun, doesn't it? Beautiful as it is, I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed Idlwild my first year of playing... I certainly know I appreciated it more after having played quite a few other quality courses.

I agree that as long as you know it's rough, play Idlewild no matter your level of play.

I also agree Lincoln Ridge would be much more fun and also challenging.

^ this and what Juke said. And while everyone should be allowed to play any course, please keep in mind that Idlweild is a destination for experienced players. A newb playing Idlewild might want to be aware of any groups that catch up to to let them play through. While that's true of anybody on any course, you can see how a newb might slow things down on a course like Idlewild.

I say play Idlewild just add to your course count, just understand that it is going to be a long round. Osage Grove , Mt Airy , and Lincoln Ridge are top courses in there own right. Another course to consider would be Gulley, located a few miles North of KI. Gulley has no tee pads so would not play if its wet, but it is a fun lil course.

please keep in mind that Idlweild is a destination for experienced players. A newb playing Idlewild might want to be aware of any groups that catch up to to let them play through. While that's true of anybody on any course, you can see how a newb might slow things down on a course like Idlewild.

This puzzles me given that Idlewild is rated as the #5 course on DGCR. If it is too much for noobs and they are having a miserable time on it, either they are not writing reviews for it or are lying about how they really feel.

I say, play it! Experience what DGCR feels is a top shelf course. Just realize that the rough is very rough on some holes so "choke up" (throw putters or flippy mids) instead of bombing Destroyers and Nukes deep into the schule. You will be playing "precision golf" just as required of top players who play Idlewild.

I personally rate Lincoln Ridge higher than Idlewild.....so play them both. :D

Pretty much agree with most everything said thus far.

With the right mentality Idlewild will likely knock your socks off. Tough to beat the top ranked public course. LR is just flat out fun and a pretty good workout to boot.

I would only add that the drive from Idlewild to Lincoln Ridge/Banklick is more like 25 minutes.

I would only add that the drive from Idlewild to Lincoln Ridge/Banklick is more like 25 minutes.

Really? Huh. :confused:

Oh crap, yeah. I was thinking of Boone, not Banklick. My bad.

Still, not at all much of a drive (coming from someone who drives a half-hour one way for leagues).

Some day, someone with a lot of intestinal fortitude will host an amazing A-Tier weekend here: Friday afternoon at Osage Grove, a Reds game in the evening, then Mt. Airy and Lincoln Ridge on Saturday, a party or a soak in a hot tub, depending on your age (I guess or both!), then finish with Idlewild Sunday morning.

All of those from the longs (or proposed longs) would run to 6 or 6 & a half miles of throws, and feel like you just did four 5K's!

Lincoln Ridge vs Idlewild

According to Burky's post, we are at a similar play level. I've also played both Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge.

Idlewild has a number of terrific holes and deserves its lofty rating. Hole 1 is a blast, as is Hole 11. However, the course seems to have a few too many very narrow, uphill RHBH drives for my taste. If you don't have a great RHBH shot, you will have a tough day, period. For me, Leviathan (Ludington, MI) is just as tough, but more fair in terms of shots needed to play the course, and is a bit higher in fun factor despite being equally difficult to Idlewild.

Lincoln Ridge, on the other hand, is outstanding fun right from the first hole, and basically doesn't let up. The expansive, grassy fairways are second to none, and the steep elevation changes on many holes keep it interesting. In addition, a grab-bag of shots such as overhands, forehands and rollers are are possible at Lincoln Ridge. It isn't the toughest course I've played; roughly LaMirada or Silver Creek-level difficulty, but I've ranked it higher than Idlewild, and second out of 78 courses I've played.

Played Leviathan a weeks ago and a comparison to Idlewild never entered my mind. Leviathan was more enjoyable for this Rec rated player. Even though I live close to the Idlewild I play it 3 to 5 times a year max. I have to be in the right mood and the weather has to cooperate.
In the Ludington area , I enjoyed the mason county park courses Beauty and Goliath more than Leviathan. I think that's because the county courses had more wind and elevation to contend with and I enjoyed the property more. Of course Flip City near Ludington kicks the butt of any course I've played and reminds me a lot of Lincoln Ridge except Flip is a 10 times more fun.

Flip does compare in certain ways to Lincoln Ridge; both have 24 holes with fun factor off the charts. Flip is a shade more difficult.