• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild in March?

jakebake91

* Ace Member *
Hey all,
Roughing out an idea to both cross a course off my bucket list and escape the doldrums of Wisconsin winter. I want to make a trip down to Idlewild. I was thinking about going in mid March, but I was curious about the snow situation there that time of year. I don't care about the temperature, just the snow on the ground. Anybody have some local input?

I haven't been to Idlewild, but I'm guessing it is pretty mucky that time of the year.
If the winter has been wet, a few low spots can be muddy, but they maintain the course exceedingly well even in the off season. We just played it a few weeks ago and it was an A for condition. They have even moved the teepad for hole 3 because it tended to get muddy at times.

If you're all the way down there you might as well play Lincoln Ridge too. Amazing course not far from Idlewild.

It was absolutely on my radar, but I probably will only have one day to play, and wasn't sure if have the fortitude to play both those in one day. Seemed like it'd make for a pretty long day. Maybe it's doable?

It was absolutely on my radar, but I probably will only have one day to play, and wasn't sure if have the fortitude to play both those in one day. Seemed like it'd make for a pretty long day. Maybe it's doable?

I played them both in a day. It's tough but doable. We were there in June or July though. Probably tougher in March.

Definitely doable. Pretty sure we played Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, and Mount Airy the same day a few years ago.

Hey all,
Roughing out an idea to both cross a course off my bucket list and escape the doldrums of Wisconsin winter. I want to make a trip down to Idlewild. I was thinking about going in mid March, but I was curious about the snow situation there that time of year. I don't care about the temperature, just the snow on the ground. Anybody have some local input?

Usually still pretty muddy around here that time of year and we occasionally get a late snow but it usually melted off fairly quick... if it sticks at all

If my 350lb ass can play both those in full 24longs in mid july, most semi able-bodied people should be able to handle it with more than likely empty(ish) courses on a cool early apring day(Idlewild doesn't get much traffic even on a weekend and March should be before the chuckers take over LR for the summer, lol)...

Just make sure you eat in between and bring some snacks and fluids to Idlewild...

Also, start Lincoln Ridge on hole 12. That gets the bad uphill walks on the back half of the course done early(including what is normally a long uphill walk back to the parking lot after #24

Last edited:
Hey all,

Also... If you plan to hit up any of the courses on the east side of town, I can show you around. Osage Grove and Stonelick State Park are only 4mi from each other and are both excellent courses that can easily be played in an afternoon.

For a Wisconsinite who gets out and plays in winter, you should be great in Mid-March. I did a trip in March of 13 down to Idlewild. We played Lincoln Ridge in the morning and only issues were some of the tee pads were a little slick with ice but, by noon everything was melted and it was just a bit muddy in spots like others have said but, didn't really effect the quality of play much. Osage is a great course and Stonelick is on my radar. So, that should be a good second day option!

Last edited:
For a Wisconsinite who gets out and plays in winter, you should be great in Mid-March. I did a trip in March of 13 down to Idlewild. We played Lincoln Ridge in the morning and only issues were some of the tee pads were a little slick with ice but, by noon everything was melted and it was just a bit muddy in spots like others have said but, didn't really effect the quality of play much. Osage is a great course and Stonelick is on my radar. So, that should be a good second day option!

what about middle of winter

would you play idlewild or lr or osage

Tallpaul, Shuie, Shuie's dog, and I played Lincoln Ridge, a nearby niner (name escapes me...sorry), and Idlewild with time to spare, with bits of travel thrown in to boot.

I believe ours was a late winter/early spring trip, and the courses were in fine shape all things considered. That was a long time ago, though.

Also... If you plan to hit up any of the courses on the east side of town, I can show you around. Osage Grove and Stonelick State Park are only 4mi from each other and are both excellent courses that can easily be played in an afternoon.

:hfive:

Oh btw Jake, don't judge Osage by the course pics here. Some of those holes have changed quite a lot since 2012, not to mention the original tees shown were a mix of longs/shorts and some that they removed/changed completely when they put in the Red/Blue concrete tees

what about middle of winter

would you play idlewild or lr or osage

If you've never played any of them? Idlewild all the way. It's a beautiful track even in the middle of the wet, gray winters.

LR has the most elevation out of the three and can be the trickiest in wet/slippery conditions, specifically holes 14-18. That said, it tends to drain quite well on account of the hills, so within a couple days of rainfall it's pretty well dried out.

If you've never played any of them? Idlewild all the way. It's a beautiful track even in the middle of the wet, gray winters.

LR has the most elevation out of the three and can be the trickiest in wet/slippery conditions, specifically holes 14-18. That said, it tends to drain quite well on account of the hills, so within a couple days of rainfall it's pretty well dried out.

cuz i was thinkin of making a mini trek down to idlewild and some surrounding

im not scared of some winter play but some courses are much "better" in the summer

you can still get a quality feel just from relativity with playing other winter courses

im not scared of some winter play but some courses are much "better" in the summer

I hear ya. I'm pretty partial to winter golf, even preferring it over summer golf in my area.

The courses do have their teeth taken out just a tad in the winter, but the best ones around here are pretty heavily wooded so they're still plenty challenging.

I hear ya. I'm pretty partial to winter golf, even preferring it over summer golf in my area.

The courses do have their teeth taken out just a tad in the winter, but the best ones around here are pretty heavily wooded so they're still plenty challenging.

thats the line i was lookin for thank you

you can still get a quality feel just from relativity with playing other winter courses

Agree with IC, Idlewild has to be prioritized over the others. And all of those courses are just as good in the winter (assuming they aren't covered in the occasional snow.)

Idlewild pairs with Lincoln Ridge. Keep in mind both are 24 hole courses but you really don't miss much imo if you just play the Idlewild Open layout (18 holes). That's what I choose to play. The other holes are decent, but just filler imo. You can also skip some poorly maintained and confusing holes at Lincoln Ridge (creek holes) to make an easier day.

Osage is an hour plus away from Idlewild. It pairs well with Stonelick (10 min), Johnson Hills (20 min) or even Echo Valley (probably 30-35 min). Echo Valley is in Idlewild's league, it's that good. Not saying it's better or even as good, but it really is that level of course. Kinda halfway between Cincy and Dayton.

Last thought, I think Hidden Ridge is better than Lincoln Ridge in NKY. Not a universally shared opinion, but I prefer the layout and feel. If you prefer Torma Town over Renny, you'd probably prefer Hidden Ridge over Lincoln Ridge. Also, assuming IC has it open I'll bet the maintenance is great in the winter, it's so much harder to keep up in spring and summer.

Latest posts