• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If and when do you replace your putters?

I don't replace them untill they break. I keep 2 Softies in my bag always, and use them both equally.

**ADVICE**:
Collect as many putters as possible, all the same mold. Use them for practice, use them all. As you need to replace a putter in your bag, you'll have a stack of seasoned putters to choose from.

My advice exactly.
I concur.

I own about 20 putters, all big bead, max weight, different colors and I switch them in and out of my bag all the time. Using a different putter than you're use to tricks your brain into focusing more attention when you're putting.

gonna prob have mine for a while since its pretty tough n not broken in too much after an entire summer... prob keep it until it flies unpredictably

If - yes, I replace my putters in my bag but have some "go to" putters that I use for tournament play.

When - during the Winter, is usually when I'll start working on some new putters. If the disc makes it through winter then its a pretty solid disc.

No need to risk breaking a well seasoned putter during cold months. Also, good idea to have a seasoned backup putter or a bunch. Same thing with Rocs or other midranges.

I say, get another Pro Pig if that's what you like to use. Use it during practice. You'll find out pretty quick if you like your old Pro Pig or prefer a newer overstable Pro Pig. But, don't retire your current disc. That thing probably flies pretty sweet now.

My putter and my main midrange/upshot disc are the same - Discraft Pro-D Banger-GT
However, I only putt with my putter, never throw it while it is my putter.

I replace my putter when it starts to look like it needs replacing. It gets moved to the midrange position.

sometimes I just buy one in a better plastic if I'm driving with one in a lesser grade. I bought a soft elite X challenger. I loved it to death...or at least I could see I was going to.

I played 27 (shortish) holes with nothing but my soft elite x challenger and it was taking a beating...bad.

I immediately got on here and found a FLX Challenger. That thing is a TANK.

\/\/

I don't replace them untill they break. I keep 2 Softies in my bag always, and use them both equally.

**ADVICE**:
Collect as many putters as possible, all the same mold. Use them for practice, use them all. As you need to replace a putter in your bag, you'll have a stack of seasoned putters to choose from.

The best advice!!!! I have a total of 4 blowflies, all same weight. I have my original that is strictly my putter <when I'm 50ft or less>, and also a very new one in my bag <6 months> that is my approach or short driver. I now have 4 that are in various stages of "seasoned". I have my original that is about 3-4 yrs. old, my older "approach" putter that is about 2 yrs. old, my "new" approach putter, about 6 mnths old, and one that is new, only thrown a dozen or so times while practicing around the house. The chances of losing one are slim, but if you have backups, it helps!

I think that after you have gotten a putter beat in you should be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. It is trained already. It took me hitting 432 trees to get that thing to fly straight.

My current putter is around two years old and I don't plan on replacing it until it breaks in half or I lose it. I know a guy who practice putts with 15 rattlers that are 10-15 years old so as long as your putter still works for you and is banging chains there is no reason to get a new one.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think that after you have gotten a putter beat in you should be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. It is trained already. It took me hitting 432 trees to get that thing to fly straight.

Aged like a fine brandy...or a '64 Strat

ive had my numero uno dx aviar for about 10 years now and its just starting to break in properly. :D

I have a 7 year old dx aviar that was my putter for 5 years, then my gf's putter for a year and a half, now it's my dad's putter. It looks like hell, but it still putts the same.

I play with pretty soft putter and live in Texas so any time I leave the bag in the car in the summer time, I have to get a new one. The old ones go in a box of discs for the backyard basket.

How often do I change my putter?
Never.
I say, "It's the Indian, not the arrow".
Having said that, I recognize that putting is about confidence. If you lose your conficence in one putter, and another putter gives you confidence - then use whatever you have confidence in.
However, I think the best way to get your confidence is to practice, practice, practice.
Changing putters won't make you a better putter, but it may lower your score because of the confidence factor.
Pick a putter and stick with it.