• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If anything ever drives me away from this sport, it will be putting

When I first started,,Your story sounds just like me! I would throw like a frisbee at the basket,and while if your on the money with the angle,power,release point of your fingers and wrist is works great! But if one of those things are off you will miss,and Most likely miss big and end up with another putt just as long if not longer than what you started with.

I recommend you watch this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU He teaches this push putt. Its a great putt because if you do miss,your next putt will be laying right next to the basket. I will say putting like this will take some getting use to,but you wont regret it.

I just got a basket for my yard last week and been putting in a hour or two daily,.and I will say its been really helping. I got a mach II for $240,they also have a dga mach lite for $140 that looks like a nice portable basket and innova traveler basket for less that that. If your going to be playing a lot and really into it,I say get a basket.

Before I got my basket I would use a folding camping chair as a target,I think anything helps but a basket would be best.

Also that video is not the only way to putt,,there are many vids on youtube that show different styles of putting,,give it a search and find something that is comfortable for you,But I would shy away from that frisbee style throw putt before it becomes a bad habit and gets real hard to shake. Good Luck!

Just want to say thanks for all the supportive replies thus far. I've read every word and I appreciate the offerings of help, when instead you could have called me out on what was a bit of a whiney post. If I didn't love this silly game so much, my aforementioned putting woes wouldn't preoccupy me as they do.

Man, this is a great forum :)

Here's what helped me the most:

Don't take your eye off your target. Pick your link. Breathe. Don't think.

Latest posts