• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If there was a "30 for 30" style series on Disc Golf...

Or some of the classic courses/events that are now defunct (there was some farm that hosted popular tournaments in the 90s...the name is escaping me at the moment).

It might be a stretch to call it classic, but the 2016 "American Open", and the brief existence of the American Disc Golf Tour, would make an interesting subject. No problem with a lack of footage.

Ron Russell

Nice one. I even have 30 for 30 titles for my suggestions:

The Ron Russell one would be "Breaking the Streak"

Ken Climo's would simply be titled "The Champ"

Stokely's could be entitled "Record-Setter"

Some others I'd like to see:

"It Ultimately Led to Disc Golf" (about the transition)

"The Best You Might Not Have Heard Of" -- Amy (Bekken) Schiller

"The Winnie Crew Rides" (kinda like Jordan Rides the Bus) -- about Feldberg, Jenkins, and the rest (mostly from Michigan IIRC) who toured in the Winnebago

"What Makes It Dynamic?" -- brief history of the rise of the company

"Don't Stir the Pot" -- about the culture of disc gold being "forever" intertwined with marijuana

"US - Ree - GC" -- about the year that Rock Hill became Performance Flight only

"Pros vs Joes" -- about always-forefront conflict of the PDGA being a member-driven organization with more than 75% amateur members

"#GrowththeSport -- What Does It Mean?" -- done interview style

and of course the inevitable,

"What is Par?" -- the neverending argument. Kinda like the puppet Lamb Chop's "The Song that Never Ends"

Thats all I have for now.

Nice one. I even have 30 for 30 titles for my suggestions:

The Ron Russell one would be "Breaking the Streak"

Ken Climo's would simply be titled "The Champ"

Stokely's could be entitled "Record-Setter"

Some others I'd like to see:

"It Ultimately Led to Disc Golf" (about the transition)

"The Best You Might Not Have Heard Of" -- Amy (Bekken) Schiller

"The Winnie Crew Rides" (kinda like Jordan Rides the Bus) -- about Feldberg, Jenkins, and the rest (mostly from Michigan IIRC) who toured in the Winnebago

"What Makes It Dynamic?" -- brief history of the rise of the company

"Don't Stir the Pot" -- about the culture of disc gold being "forever" intertwined with marijuana

"US - Ree - GC" -- about the year that Rock Hill became Performance Flight only

"Pros vs Joes" -- about always-forefront conflict of the PDGA being a member-driven organization with more than 75% amateur members

"#GrowththeSport -- What Does It Mean?" -- done interview style

and of course the inevitable,

"What is Par?" -- the neverending argument. Kinda like the puppet Lamb Chop's "The Song that Never Ends"

Thats all I have for now.

Can anybody explain the year USDGC became Preformance flight only? Was that allowing only one manufacture? was that a Rick W thing? help me.

Can anybody explain the year USDGC became Preformance flight only? Was that allowing only one manufacture? was that a Rick W thing? help me.

It was like this handicapping thing where the winner was determined by how well you played above your handicap. It heavily favored a Joe Schmo into winning b/c touring pros like Feldberg can only play so far above their rating/handicap aka too consistently good. So a bunch of name players stayed home and the tourney was won by a guy about as good as your local course pro. Spectators don't really come out to see your local course pro play Winthrop Gold.

I'd like to see a 30 for 30 style documentary for Will Schusterick's 2012 USDGC win.

He was the first big name pro I heard of when I got into the game a couple years ago so that win was before my time, would love to see some coverage of it.

It was like this handicapping thing where the winner was determined by how well you played above your handicap. It heavily favored a Joe Schmo into winning b/c touring pros like Feldberg can only play so far above their rating/handicap aka too consistently good. So a bunch of name players stayed home and the tourney was won by a guy about as good as your local course pro. Spectators don't really come out to see your local course pro play Winthrop Gold.

Okay I heard about that what year was that?

Not sure you understand what 30 for 30 really is. 30 for 30 is a short-form (30-60 minutes) documentary series by ESPN. It isn't reality TV at all. Yes, it might get into behind the scenes stuff if it's warranted by the subject matter. The best 30 for 30s are about events rather than specific people (like The U about the University of Miami football program in the 80s or Survive and Advance about the 1983 NC State Cinderella run in the NCAA tournament).

In that vein, I'd rather see a doc about the playoff at the 2003 USDGC between Climo and Schultz. Or the first Worlds ever held. Or some of the classic courses/events that are now defunct (there was some farm that hosted popular tournaments in the 90s...the name is escaping me at the moment).

The only unfortunate thing when it comes to documentaries about a lot of things in disc golf's past is the lack of footage. A lot of these historical topics would probably have to be more of an interview or round-table discussion than a true documentary. I mean, there's probably no video or film of the first Worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTRRcU4Nkj5X1J4OvOU9Ilw He has all the old film on his channel and could most likely use that somehow.

I'd like to see a 30 for 30 style documentary for Will Schusterick's 2012 USDGC win.

He was the first big name pro I heard of when I got into the game a couple years ago so that win was before my time, would love to see some coverage of it.

There is a documentary on Will Schusterick's Youtube channel called "Shoestring" about him winning the USDGC in 2012. It's a pretty good one, with his personal insights some from Nikko Locastro and Lavine Wolff if I recall correctly (and spelled his name right :D)

There could be something about Jussi Meresmaa too. How his ideas to grow the sport have been criticised for some of them and what he has really done to the sport.

And maybe something about Selah Ranch, how and why it became a favorite destination for many golfers (as we can see by the ratings on DGCR).

As a counter-example, something about how stupid politicians can have the idea to replace Järva DGP (park of the year in 2017) by a cemetary on a polluted soil.
"Save Järva" was a great documentary, but there might be a need of a really strong film to have the voice of discgolfers heard in this silly project... as the petition was not enough.

true that. i'm giving a nerd nite (sort of ted talks with beer) talk on him tonight at a local brewery.

Very cool. Is it on youtube? Would love to see it.

A lot of younger players don't know the ugly underbelly of a lot of early frisbee golf. Ed and his patent battles with Innova and Gateway. The USDGC and the fighting with the PDGA over naming rights and rules variances (Like Harold essentially saying "I don't care if Aaron Weild is suspended by the pdga....if he aplogizes then he can play". Oh wait or was that Cam Todd? hahahahaha can't remember) and whatnot. Or that lawyer from the BoD quitting over the fact that DG tournaments are essentially illegal gambling activities (pool prize events) in all 50 states.

How about a Beautiful Mind episode featuring the forgotten guy who invented the PDGA Rating system (was it "Roger")? Talk about nerd nite!

Latest posts