• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you could go back and tell yourself anything as a Disc Golf beginner...

Lol Brotherdave, that's funny because I always imagined 80 being something like that Master dude from Kill Bill 2.

lol, for now on 80played shall be known as Pai Mei (Although I always saw him as more of a Walter Sobchack from The Big Lebowski.)

Yeah, Pai Mei is a little more on the diminutive side and I believe I remember 80 saying he was 6'4'' so maybe that's not quite right. But if 80 finds out I'm talkin' about 'em he could drive up here and critique my form until I start crying (he's less than an hour away) and we don't want that.

I'm going to tell on you guys. Talking bad about 80 when he's not looking. You need 50 lashes with a Gumbputt. Except Dave might enjoy it.

I'm going to tell on you guys. Talking bad about 80 when he's not looking. You need 50 lashes with a Gumbputt. Except Dave might enjoy it.

Who's talking bad? Pai Mei and Walter are freaking awesome legends of cinema history, I'd be honored to be compared to either one. Dang it Disc Dog, I am not a masochist, I only gave Renny that review b/c it deserved for so thoroughly kicking my ass.

Who's talking bad? Pai Mei and Walter are freaking awesome legends of cinema history, I'd be honored to be compared to either one. Dang it Disc Dog, I am not a masochist, I only gave Renny that review b/c it deserved for so thoroughly kicking my ass.

I got mine kicked by it also. I do truly understand.

Don't take an 8 to 10-year layoff from when you discover the sport and when you really start to play it. If I'd been playing ever since I found the sport in my early twenties, instead of forgetting it and waiting until age 30 to pick it back up, I might be a lot better by now.

Agreed. My first few DG rounds were at a course near my house in Minneapolis in 1978 or 1979. It was great fun. The next time I played was at age 42 in 2008.

Dude, that's like being surprised that meth heads like meth so much. We take our disc golf pretty seriously around here. If you don't believe me, go tell 80played that your disc golf knowledge is fact not opinion and is better than his. Actually, don't do that.

You could sell tickets to that one

Learn to throw correctly, rather than far. I could throw it far with just strength when I started, but since then I have started to learn better form. Also, that a beginner does not need an eight disc starter set, regardless of what the pro shop tells you.

1. The high speed turn happens WAY before the low speed fade, time-wise. So those understable discs your cranking that always seem to screw up? They aren't screwing up, that's supposed to happen.
2. Practice putting.
3. Learn primary backhand first, Brad, it's easier on your arm and you can play way more often and without pain.
4. Practice putting.
5. Learn how to throw hyzers/anhyzers - having the overstable/understable disc do the work is fine, but it produces a different shot shape.
6. Practice putting.
7. Driving for distance is cool, but not searching for errant drives in the deep rough/woods is much more fun.

I would go back and start with light discs...150 class and nothing heavier than 165 until I learned how to throw. I'd probably get a driver like a teebird or firebird and then a Roc. I'd just stick with 2 discs and get a variety of weights...as opposed to having 10 completely different discs...

[Threadjack]
The Gumpbutt is a super floppy putter made by DGA in their special "Signature Line" of rubbery plastic. It's similar to the better-known "Blowfly" aka "Steady Ed" putter, but it's a different mold. I have the impression these DGA putters make "Super Stupid Soft" seem stiff and brittle by comparison.
[/Threadjack]

Latest posts