• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you could go back and tell yourself anything as a Disc Golf beginner...

I would have started competetive disc golf earlier.

Agreed, I really wish I had started playing leagues and tournaments a long time ago. I've learned so much from playing with new people and watching them throw, and I've had a lot of fun at all the events I've played in.

Put down the Stealth and get some good discs and when Special Blend Orcs come out buy like 10.

I would tell my past self not to waste one minute on that 150g aviar. Or hell, any aviar for that matter.

I would say:

"Hey little Sweeper. Here are two rattlers and two comets. Learn to throw them. Don't use the lightning discs your friend gave you. If he was really your friend, he would not have given them to you. Here are two pro wraiths. Learn to throw them forehand. ONLY throw them forehand, you are prohibited from throwing them backhand. Look at and learn from websites like dgcoursereview.com and discgolfreview.com. Those people are very smart and you are not."

And finally I would tell him:

"Be very wary of girls with large dragon tatoos."

Little mondo, save yourself from all the frustration and emotional let downs and simply learn how to putt. Make your putting automatic within the mighty circle and then learn how to throw that putter for distance. Listen to me old friend and you will be happy.

I would tell myself to work alot on my BH because im a natural FH player. I would need to include that my distance is close to maxed out on FH and you need to have more shots in your arsenal. Also to buy beginner discs, dont be afraid to ask better players on the course for advice, WAY more work on a field not on a course, dont get frustrated when you suck. youre just a newbie and its a tough game to learn and join DGCR

I'd be a much better player today if I had started playing competitively much earlier. I was intimidated by the thought of playing in a tournament, figured a newcomer had no place in them. Sure wish I had.
I think many of you are correct in saying how important it is to learn the discs you are throwing inside and out. But I also think it is just as important to experiment with many different discs. I think every newcomer should go through the excitement of shopping the DG store to stock up their bag for the first time, and being excited about trying out that new driver. But, and this is a big but, learn your disc before moving on to the next one. Learn to throw them nose down and be able to manipulate the flight. Work the big spike hyzers to a certain distance, learn to throw a roller, practice forehand and backhand shots, thumbers and tommys, grenades and push anhyzers. Throw 'em slow, throw 'em fast, learn how they handle the wind. And then master your next disc.
We all know how much fun it is taking a bag out to the practice field, and unloading all your drivers as far as you can. Enjoy trying to throw for distance! But learn from your throws, and make corrections to your mechanics while you do it. And for every bag full you hurl, switch it up the next time and practice a different shot type.
And when you're done practicing driving, PULL OUT THOSE MIDS AND PUTTERS!!! Definitely don't neglect your slower discs, as the majority of the strokes in a round are thrown with mids and putters, no matter what course you're playing. Work some in the open field, learning the flight and spin, and then work around obstacles to a target. As you learn to manipulate the flight, you'll figure out body position, which helps your mechanics, which increases your distance.
And most importantly, get a practice basket and putt like crazy!

I'd tell myself not to worry about throwing 500' and worry about midrange and putting. This is where the game is won

I feel the same way. I spent 2 and a half hours tonight at the practice field , and I spent 80% of that time working on my putting and approach shots. I made two 60ft approach shots and a 90ft shot, and I am very pleased with myself. The rest of them got very, very close.

I would have shown myself the correct way to grip a disc. I spent the first 5 and 1/2 years of my disc golf career putting the disc into the wrong seam in my hand. It actually wasn't too hard to make the change, but I wasted a lot of time developing a bad habit.
This article on DGR along with the Fundamentals DVD showed me the error of my ways.
Since making the change, my accuracy has improved greatly. I lost distance initially with the change, but gained it back within a couple of months.
I also wish I would have taken disc golf as seriously then as I do know. I'm working hard all the time to get better. If I had this attitude and approach 6 and a half years ago, I would be much farther along now. I also wish I would have started playing tournaments sooner.

get on the internet or find a pro to tell you what's wrong with my form. I did really well with sticking with a few discs when I was younger, but I always stayed away from mids. I would have warmed up more and practiced putting more often, as well as hitting an open field every now and again.

I've seen it posted before, but for the love of god, HAVE FUN! I can get too serious about this sport, I'm way too analytical about my game (which isn't very awesome, BTW), and I can get bent out of shape. I just have to tell myself that this is what I do for enjoyment, work is what I do for stress. So what if you accidentally hyzer'd that last drive and sent it up as a giant sky-hook? Just dust yourself off and resolve yourself to remember what you just ephed up and do a better job next drive.

power grip vs. fan grip Old days; power grip not really needed; now, it's tough to get use out of all the modern plastic with fan grip.

Latest posts