• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm done paying out for Aces, metal, etc (521)

Playing 51 usually just results in $5 making its rounds back and forth between people. You notice no real net winnings.

Change it up to a running bet the length of a season or summer or something. Count up all the wins, and at the end when everthing becomes a push but the guy who has the most. Then, just split his extra wins (which were not pushed by every second place win) among all the players in on the bet. For example, say you have 10 people all in on this. Everyone gets at ace, but one guy gets 3 aces and another gets 4. The guy with 4 has a net win of 1. All other 9 players split that one $5 net win with him.

Better yet, make it something like a steak dinner or something. Go out and celebrate the season as a group and the net winner gets his dinner picked up by everyone else. We do this with total scores. Me and 4 other guys that play all the time keep track of all our scores (in joint rounds) throughout the summer season. After Labor Day we have a feast which the winner particpates for free.

I have always understood it to be the 51 club and you must hit an ace to be in the club so, if you have never hit one then you don't have to worry about paying anyone.

I think its funny knowing that somewhere out there there are disc golf hustlers. I've got some friends that are ball golf hustlers and its fun to laugh at the dentists and doctors they hustle, never thought of disc golf hustlers.

We've got a local pro who is a good friend of mine; but that ba$tard earned his lunch/gas money off all us league guys for a decade...until we finally just stopped playing a $1 per nine. He now buys a round of beverages fairly often; I think in an attempt to pay some back.

This thread is the first I've heard of 521, etc.

Sounds lame if it isn't agree on before hand.

To OP: tell these wanks trying to sponge off of you to take a hike (unless you agreed to it, then pay up and quit bitchin'.)

I don't know if I like the 521 deal. I wouldn't mind paying it out, but think that deminishes the moment. Enjoy the ace for what it is, not how much you can get paid for it.

disc golf is not about trying to get money it's a fun sport that people should enjoy and if you hit an ace the other people in your group should not be expected to pay someone, it was a nice shot and leave it at that

Whenever I play 51 it is announced before the round starts. And everyone never has any problems. When I'm playing with a new player I will just pay them knowing they don't even know what 51 is. I then teach them about the rules of the game.

Lately I have just been playing w.o.l.f.

round here its refered to simpily as "51" and everyone in the group is asked if they are in or not b4 the round... its gambleing... not everyone has to do it... thats just like we have $1/$1 holes if you birdie and no1 else does you get a $1 from them and viceversa... but if you birdie and everyone else bogies you get $2 from everyone... but yet again that has to be detmined on the whole b4 anyone throws... we also do a buck a stroke with like a $5 limit but that usually just for casual rounds

My friends and I just pay $10 for every ace and if no one gets one in that year, it goes up to $20 the next year. It keeps going up by ten bucks every year until someone hits one then it goes back down to $10. It's never been to 30 before but it still hasn't stopped me from paying out alot of money. Last year I payed out $160 because I witnessed 16 aces. And of course I have none.

Screw the chains/metal/pole payout. That's stupid. But I guess I could be considered stupid for paying so much money to my friends. :doh:

No offense, but it sounds like DiscChainBasket18 plays with a lot of money grubbing d-bag.

Do you get .50 for a decent drive? I have a standing wager with a friend that the loser buys the next 6-pack, but frankly expecting someone to pay out of the blue is BS. As far as how to respond...how does "no" sound?

I know what DiscChainBasket18 is talking about cuz I live in Asheville too.

When I first moved here I was at a weekly and a guy hit metal. Everyone was like "5-2-1... Pay up." I said, "pay up for what? What's 5-2-1?" They explained what it was and said "That's how we play here"... to which I chuckled.

Needless to say, that guy didn't get paid and neither has anyone else that I've seen hit metal or chains. I'll gladly give a dollar for the Ace, but 5 is pushing it. And, I'd rather give you a high five, say nice shot, and sign your disc. And, I don't want anything but signatures if I hit one myself.

DSCJNKY

If I didn't already know that disc golfers are the cheapest mo fos on the planet, I do now. Seriously, $5 is not a lot of money to pay to your buddy who hits an ace. When you hit one, and the nickles start flowing your way, you'll be psyched.

Tradition is what the game is all about, and while the 5-2-1 one may be a little off (how about just 5?), at least it's a start.

I take it even further. If you hit a black ace, be prepared to pay out $5 to everyone in your group.

Latest posts