• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm done returning discs

I go though a lot of trouble to return disc...

Suckerrr. <Teasing>

You keep doing what you think is the right thing. ("To thine own self be true.") From my perspective, having dealt with too many entitled and ungrateful children, it's just not something I choose to be concerned with anymore. The prospective downside just isn't worth the trouble. (Damn kids! Get off my lawn!!)

That's a generous attitude, but it results in anger and disappointment. The end result is you are unhappy.

Texting and stashing gives the person an option. A disc they would not have seen again or put forth the effort to retrieve it.

Nobody should feel obligated to put more effort in to returning plastic than the effort of the owner.

Life is too short to be the cause of your own stress.

If the disc returning process is stressful, STOP. In fact, this is pretty much on of my life philosophy....if it is detracting from my joy, eliminate it, if possible, as soon as possible.

I guess I'm lucky that we have a shop that has a lost and found. Find disc, take picture, text number/post on local facebook group, take it to the local shop next time I'm that way.

What I will not do is meet up with people.

I do get frustrated with the people that find a disc and "try" to return it but won't offer any details. Hey, I found a disc at Pellissippi. Message me what you lost and where if you lost one there. I just messaged a dude a list of 10 discs, not because I think I might get one back, but to hopefully show him that isn't the best way of doing things. I mean, our lost and found group has over 1000 people and I bet we have 25k lost discs out in the wild right now.

I guess I'm lucky that we have a shop that has a lost and found. Find disc, take picture, text number/post on local facebook group, take it to the local shop next time I'm that way.

What I will not do is meet up with people.

I do get frustrated with the people that find a disc and "try" to return it but won't offer any details. Hey, I found a disc at Pellissippi. Message me what you lost and where if you lost one there. I just messaged a dude a list of 10 discs, not because I think I might get one back, but to hopefully show him that isn't the best way of doing things. I mean, our lost and found group has over 1000 people and I bet we have 25k lost discs out in the wild right now.

25 lost discs per person?

I guess I'm lucky that we have a shop that has a lost and found.

Yeah, I'm not anywhere close to a dedicated shop. Would have to travel about an hour just to get there and I doubt anybody at the myriad of courses I'm at would ever stop by there to find a lost disc. I'm not exactly in a DG desert either, played at least 50 courses within 90 minutes of me.

25 lost discs per person?

I'd say the regulars in our area lose at least 10+ a year.

Heck, the other week, I watched a group ahead of me throw 15 discs in the water over the course of 3 holes.

I've decided today that any discs I find will be violently chucked into the nearest body of water but not before recording it and sending the video to the number written on the bottom.

While I've thought about walking over to the Biology experiment that is the pond next to 10 at Peaks View, I haven't and will not toss inked disc into the pond. I will no longer vent my frustrations on this form. I will keep it to myself and keep doing what I feel comfortable with. I'm OK. I do not play with the local club and I do not have a social media presents, and plan to stay that way. So most of the local disc golf community I've become friends with I've met is by returning disc.

... our lost and found group has over 1000 people and I bet we have 25k lost discs out in the wild right now.
Think about of all those lost discs running wild, and all the possible cross-bred offspring:

Firebirds in X plastic...
D2's with Gyro...
Rocs in Z plastic!

Most DG players I've met are nice peeps.

All different.

I have no issue doing a minimalist effort to return a disc. Text. Hide. I'm good. If they recover it or not, it is their option. I've made it possible.

If it is blank, I have no problem bagging it, testing it, throwing it, or gifting it.

Ultimately, IMO, you do what makes you happy and allows you to sleep at night.

But don't get pissed if you put more effort in than the recipient.

Most DG players I've met are nice peeps.

All different.

I have no issue doing a minimalist effort to return a disc. Text. Hide. I'm good. If they recover it or not, it is their option. I've made it possible.

If it is blank, I have no problem bagging it, testing it, throwing it, or gifting it.

Ultimately, IMO, you do what makes you happy and allows you to sleep at night.

But don't get pissed if you put more effort in than the recipient.

Can't argue about fast food in a fast food thread, can't get mad about ungrateful people. What can we do?

Are you having trouble hanging meat off of them to grill? Or having issues with charcoal falling out the bottom?
Course maintenance can really work up an appetite. But if you use all the cut sticks and logs instead of charcoal, they stay in the basket pretty well. ;)

MROT (Meat Resting On Top) keeps things warm.

Last edited:

Latest posts