• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm done returning discs

Lost a disc recently on a Saturday, got a text Tuesday afternoon that someone had pulled it from the pond. Didn't have any plans that day so went & played a fun round with some guys from the league that was meeting there, so the trip was a win all around.

If I find one I'll text them when I find it & if I haven't heard back by the time I leave, I'll stash it somewhere near the 1st or 18th hole, depending on the course with an update text with the location. Usually I'll get a response, but if not, I feel I've done my part as a responsible member of the community & don't give it much more thought.

IDK if it's because I'm in the south, or a really hospitable area, or what, but I've never had a bad experience trying to return discs. I've had people not reply, I've had people reply "What's that? I think you have the wrong number", I've had people tell me to keep the disc, I've had people ask me to hide a disc when I can, but never anything I'd call unpleasant.

Now, I have a really flexible schedule, so no doubt I don't feel crunched for time the way some people certainly are.

Just yesterday I returned someone their favorite driver (Champ Shryke). It took a few texts to realize that the number on the disc had no interest in getting the disc back, when I realized that there was a second more faded number on it. JC turned out to be overjoyed to get the disc back. Turns out he had found it, tried to return it same as me, had the guy flake in the same way, and then started to throw it. He offered to trade me a disc to get it back, but I was just happy to get a disc back to someone who wanted to throw it.

We met at a local course where I was already going. I got him him his disc, and he was really happy. He asked if I was going to play, and I asked if he wanted to play a round together. It was highly enjoyable and my good karma must have rubbed off because I threw better than I ever have at that course, and it ended up that we'll likely play rounds together in the future.

Found a disc at a course I was playing about 45 miles from home, texted photos of disc and location I was leaving it at. Got a reply after I had finished and already left park telling me to keep it or give to some to use as he also wasn't a local and wasn't planning on getting back that way.

Wonder if the disc is still there...
wouldn't throw it anyways...
Max weight shryke...
too heavy for me...
It was yellow and dyed...
or as I like calling it...

camouflage...

Wonder if the disc is still there...
wouldn't throw it anyways...
Max weight shryke...
too heavy for me...
It was yellow and dyed...
or as I like calling it...

camouflage...[/QUOTE]

Good questions.

Very simple: if it has a name/number I text asking if they want to meet up if they are close by and if not, I stash the disc for them. Gas is too damn expensive right now to be driving out of your way to return a disc but props to anyone who actually does this.

I've been on the losing side of stashed discs getting snagged before I get to it. Also we all know lost/stolen discs can travel so stashing at a local course might be impossible for the owner to get back to. I once found a disc in Knoxville TN, texted the number, and they said they lost it in south Florida.

I think the best and easiest thing to do is text the number: "found your disc at XX course. I'm here for another XX minutes. Should I hide it or hold it?" The impetus is now on the original owner. If it's an important disc to them, they'll make the arrangements. If I don't hear back right away, it goes in my trunk. If I don't hear back within a week or so, it goes to a noob.

Has anyone ever found a putter? Not gonna lie, I've been pretty airheaded somedays and would rush to the next basket without picking my putter out of it first but I've still yet to find one left behind. I've found dozens of drivers and a few midranges but never a putter.

I can think of three putters that I've found, a DGA Steady that belonged to one of the course regulars, an Arrow that was left in the basket by the group ahead of me, and a PFN Star Aviar Driver that I was told to keep by the previous owner, who was in Hawaii and had no idea how his disc ended up in a creek in Pennsylvania.

To be honest, I've gotten a bit jaded since the panorama upswing in players. I've been playing for almost 6 years now, and I've seen such an degradation in the honorable side of things, with the entitlement of "I want my disc, I don't care if you can't get plastic pellets...where's my disc, shut up and take my money", and with the loss of several discs of my own that were marked, I'm a little less likely to do anything if I find a disc. Sometimes it makes me want to go full evil, but I love disc golfing too much to walk away from it. And I'm just a course bagger. I'd be more cynical and bitter I think if I was actually playing tournies and leagues...
So OP....you're ok with your feelings. Trust me.

Has anyone ever found a putter? Not gonna lie, I've been pretty airheaded somedays and would rush to the next basket without picking my putter out of it first but I've still yet to find one left behind. I've found dozens of drivers and a few midranges but never a putter.

Yeah, a Westside harp at Tyler in PA, pitch black which is always a smart color for a disc. Was a short 230ish hole iirc, like 15 feet from the basket. From time of year, I assume it landed under a pile of leaves and then the wind uncovered it by the time I was there.

If it gots a # I text saying your so and so is under trash can by __ teepad. No number it goes on top of basket. I don't even write my name or number on discs cause I have enough at home to replace whatever I lose.

Recently, I found an unmarked disc at my local course. I posted where and when I discovered it on the course FB page without identifying the make, model, or color. Players were welcome to message me descriptions of their lost discs and if we had a match I'd return it. Otherwise, after a week I would turn it in to a lost and found at a DG store nearby. I made it absolutely clear I had no intention of keeping the disc, without making it easy for someone to illegitimately claim it.

To my consternation, the post was met with pure vitriol. I was labeled a thief and a nazi (yes, someone actually called me a nazi) for trying to do the right thing, lulz. It's all so silly.

I found another unmarked disc the other day that I'm about to post in the same fashion as the previous ordeal. Wish me luck!

I'm just glad someone texted my about my Buzzz they found in the creek bed on Lincoln Ridge #15. That wasn't an easy retrieval. I saw it, but didn't feel sure footed enough to get it safely. I also saw someone else's purple disc down there, but again, that's a bit of a dicey location, and I'm not as nimble as I used to be.

Sending a mailer prepaid, addressed mailer out to them today. :)

Recently, I found an unmarked disc at my local course. I posted where and when I discovered it on the course FB page without identifying the make, model, or color. Players were welcome to message me descriptions of their lost discs and if we had a match I'd return it. Otherwise, after a week I would turn it in to a lost and found at a DG store nearby. I made it absolutely clear I had no intention of keeping the disc, without making it easy for someone to illegitimately claim it.

To my consternation, the post was met with pure vitriol. I was labeled a thief and a nazi (yes, someone actually called me a nazi) for trying to do the right thing, lulz. It's all so silly.

I found another unmarked disc the other day that I'm about to post in the same fashion as the previous ordeal. Wish me luck!

I've gotten 7 discs back this year. Five of those were found places other than where I lost the disc.

First off, my apologies for reopening this chat which had been inactive for 11 months. I've realized now how easy it is for most of you, reading "This is what I do." You all make it sound so simple and I'm glad what you do works for you. I live in area where most of the local courses are not too far away, so I've had multiple folks stop by my house, driven to their house, stopped by my office, stopped by their place of employment, or meet in at a agreeable location or course to return a disc, it's my preferred option. I don't like the unknown of stashing. If I had some one like Bogey send me a mailer, I'd be more then happy to make a trip to the post office. Stashing it in a random spot doesn't work for me. One of the disc that I had hide over a week ago, one of the ones that got me venting on this chat in the first place is still sitting were I hide it. I would have gladly held on to it till a mutually agreeable time and location could be determined. I go though a lot of trouble to return disc even though I don't ink my own.

First off, my apologies for reopening this chat which had been inactive for 11 months. I've realized now how easy it is for most of you, reading "This is what I do." You all make it sound so simple and I'm glad what you do works for you. I live in area where most of the local courses are not too far away, so I've had multiple folks stop by my house, driven to their house, stopped by my office, stopped by their place of employment, or meet in at a agreeable location or course to return a disc, it's my preferred option. I don't like the unknown of stashing. If I had some one like Bogey send me a mailer, I'd be more then happy to make a trip to the post office. Stashing it in a random spot doesn't work for me. One of the disc that I had hide over a week ago, one of the ones that got me venting on this chat in the first place is still sitting were I hide it. I would have gladly held on to it till a mutually agreeable time and location could be determined. I go though a lot of trouble to return disc even though I don't ink my own.

That's a generous attitude, but it results in anger and disappointment. The end result is you are unhappy.

Texting and stashing gives the person an option. A disc they would not have seen again or put forth the effort to retrieve it.

Nobody should feel obligated to put more effort in to returning plastic than the effort of the owner.

Latest posts