• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm done with Distance Drivers...

gvan

Birdie Member
...for now, I guess.

I was taking several drives on some >400' holes last week.

On the first, I threw 2 Destroyers, 3 Wraiths, a Firebird and 3 T-Birds. 2 of the Teebirds went the furthest. (about 350 uphill).

Next hole: 1 Wraith went 417, the next 2 longest at 380' were Teebirds. All the rest at 370 or so.

Next hole: All 3 Teebirds and then the Firebird were longest with Wraiths slightly behind.

If my Speed 7 discs are hitting 380, My speed 10 and 11 should be going further. I suspect I have nose angle issues still and my higher speed drivers are masking the form problems.

These drives have an apex at around 30-40' high. Any ideas before I get some video posted?

If you're actually throwing 417' then not sure why faster discs aren't better for you. Might be your angle of release on the faster drivers. Do you find them hyzering out to quickly?

Nope, they usually land pretty flat.

417' was the longest and not typical. I rarely hit 400'. Consistent 350-380 with a Teebird on a distance line. Same flight path with a destroyer hyzers out at the end.

Could you describe the flights of each of those throws better?

FWIW, I throw Teebirds about as far as you on golf lines and I can't get a Destroyer to fly farther than them. I can pop a Wraith or Orc a little past 400' on a distance line, but don't have the same consistancy with them as I can get with the slower discs.

In other words, it sounds like a normal plateau to me. You'll be able to get more consistant distance with the Wraith if you get better at hitting the right lines with it, but what you're seeing sounds normal.

Often its not the discs. Its the hands throwing the discs.

If you don't have the correctly designed hands to get the properly grip on the wide rims these big bomb drivers have, you're going to lose some of the torque you need to get these discs up to their intended speed, or get some OAT on it when you try to overcompensate, and the extra D they promise isn't going to happen.

Meanwhile, you back off to a more practical fairway driver, with a less imposing rim and you notice you get just as much D, if not more out of it, since you can deliver the proper torque to it with a lot more ease.

Oh boo hoo, 400' ;)

That's it...not only do you not get drivers, I think you are relegated to putter duty for the mixed doubles round. :p

If you don't have the correctly designed hands to get the properly grip on the wide rims these big bomb drivers have, you're going to lose some of the torque you need to get these discs up to their intended speed, or get some OAT on it when you try to overcompensate, and the extra D they promise isn't going to happen.

Meanwhile, you back off to a more practical fairway driver, with a less imposing rim and you notice you get just as much D, if not more out of it, since you can deliver the proper torque to it with a lot more ease.

I concur.

The largest rimmed driver that comfortably fits my hand for max torque is the Crush. I really like the feel and performance of the small-rimmed drivers... so my primary drivers are the Avenger, Wildcat & Eagle.

If you are looking for a faster disc try an Avenger, the rim is slightly larger than the Teebird.

Could you describe the flights of each of those throws better?

In other words, it sounds like a normal plateau to me. You'll be able to get more consistant distance with the Wraith if you get better at hitting the right lines with it, but what you're seeing sounds normal.

My wraiths turn over a bit, so I throw them pretty straight with slight hyzer. Teebirds are thrown flat unless there is a tailwind, then I go for an anhyzer flex.

I played today with only Teebirds, Rocs and Aviars. I think I noticed a couple of things to work on. I'm OK with my distance, generally, but if figuring out my issue with higher speed drivers gets me to 390 or 400 with some consistency, I can shave a couple of strokes off my local courses.

Well, I have long piano/guitar fingers. Wraith and Destroyer are comfortable grips, but when I get to the Boss, you are spot on. The rim on those is just too wide. I can't get those up to speed.

Oh boo hoo, 400' ;)

That's it...not only do you not get drivers, I think you are relegated to putter duty for the mixed doubles round. :p

As long as it's best shot, I'm OK with that:D.

I play with a putter only at least twice a month, mostly at Lenora. I usually shoot a 54 or 55 on those rounds.

57-59 with a Zephyr.

My wraiths turn over a bit, so I throw them pretty straight with slight hyzer. Teebirds are thrown flat unless there is a tailwind, then I go for an anhyzer flex.

I played today with only Teebirds, Rocs and Aviars. I think I noticed a couple of things to work on. I'm OK with my distance, generally, but if figuring out my issue with higher speed drivers gets me to 390 or 400 with some consistency, I can shave a couple of strokes off my local courses.

Uh. stop throwing them with hyzer. If you are going for a true distance line, and you are flexing your teebird but not your wraith, you are going to definitely go farther on avg with the teebird. Throw the wraith on a S curve line, whether it's a flex or a hyzer flip S (more power required on this), or thrown flat and let it turn and then come back.

in short you are expecting a wraith to throw farther in a straight line than a teebird with an s curve.

The distances of the FB and TL all depend on how you release it. I can only throw a Wraith and other high speed discs just a few yards farther.

Accuracy over distance any day.

BillnChristy, CwAlbino, Marty McFly, your collective advice is... impossible... to resist...

Uh. stop throwing them with hyzer. If you are going for a true distance line, and you are flexing your teebird but not your wraith, you are going to definitely go farther on avg with the teebird. Throw the wraith on a S curve line, whether it's a flex or a hyzer flip S (more power required on this), or thrown flat and let it turn and then come back.

They do flip and do an S. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I'll throw an any flex with a Destroyer or a champion Wraith, but my go to Star Wraiths are a bit flippy.

Accuracy over distance any day.

Ahh, I can't settle for that. Accuracy PLUS distance EVERY day!

If something is worth doing, it is worth obsessing over every detail until it is perfect (hehe)

try a star SL , goes straight and fades at the end, 350-400ft, works every time 60% of the time

One of the things I like with the Teebird over a max-d driver is that it lands softer. On a low ceiling shot, there is a much greater chance of something like a Wraith skipping out left. Most of the time I'd rather throw the Teebird 20-40' less and land in the fairway, although that's usually on holes that are out of my max-d birdie range. If the pin is within 50' of my max-d I gotta go for the bomb with the Surge SS.

Latest posts