• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm giving myself 1 year to improve.

Pepperonicini

Hello fellas. I played a while back when I was in college. Disc golf was a once a month type thing for me. Forehand player.

I've never been any good. I started playing regularly last year backhand only and I have made a lot of progress. I can throw the disc reasonably straight/consistently now.

However, I am at an impasse. All my discs do basically the same thing. I can throw a putter 250 but can just barely eek a driver to 300. Almost anything is fading heavily at the end of the flight and I have no ability to shape shots or anything. All I can do is a straight to fade ~250-300 backhand or a ~200 forehand.

I do enjoy getting outdoors and playing disc golf...But I desperately want to:

1. Be able use discs to their potential and shape shots/do something besides flat to harsh fade...have some consistency
2. Be able to throw 350(realistic goal)-400(Dream goal)
3. Be able to get par on one of my local courses at least once, have never gotten par before.

I really don't know if I have the ability to do this, it seems to come so naturally to most and so difficult to me...But I'm willing to really work for it. So I've decided I'm going to only do field and form work regularly for 1 year. If I can't reach my 3 goals by then, I think I will call it quits.

Forgive me if this sounds ridiculous, but this is how I do things, normally 0% or 100%.

Anyway, I went out to the field today and took some baseline videos. I would greatly appreciate form critique. I plan on regularly updating this throughout the next year.

Full speed from side:
https://streamable.com/lb7070

Slow motion from side:
https://streamable.com/lb7070

Full speed from behind:
https://streamable.com/87tnk2

Slow motion from behind:
https://streamable.com/ttj49v

Throwing a g-line fD 175g. I measured these throws to right around 300 if not slightly down, using google maps.

Thanks guys, I would GREATLY appreciate some help.

Adam

Last edited:
Nose/weight balanced over toes, athletic, keep weight off the heels until the disc is leaving your hand. Try a hop in the x-step and/or very short left step. Plant foot should be further left, so that the toe of left foot is in line with heel of right foot.

If you're on your toes it's harder to throw wrong.

But I don't have it all together yet. These are very helpful basic tips.

I'm kinda where you are and I think my follow through is weak because my body is bracing against pain AND I don't usually get a good brace. I don't think these apply so much to you but maybe you are a little early on the "pull back" bit. Getting the release and brace timing seems to amplify everything good when I can pull it off.

Posture, posture, posture. You are going to hurt yourself throwing like that. You need to engage your core muscles tucking your navel to your belt buckle and rear arm/shoulder forward and lead shoulder protracted forward to swing the disc in behind the elbow/shoulder creating a power pocket to hug the disc and sling back out from center. Your rear leg should go behind the front leg like bowling finish, you are thrusting your rear hip into the swing aka humping the goat which extends your spine and extension and rotation are not good together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4#t=3m26s

dSIHQb4.png

The number one issue with throwing a disc far and "as designed"...is the speed you can throw the disc at. For that, you need to use a radar type device to see what your arm speed is. I had a max of 250 forehand. Started getting backhand lessons and my instructor measured my arm speed at 42 mph. He said that equates to a 7 speed disc. I can throw faster speed rated discs, but I won't get the rated distance or flight from them. I've accepted that and am working to improve my form and accuracy with 7 speed and less. I still use a 9 speed as it gets me 50 feet more and a flight that I need with forehand. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get more arm speed. By improving my backhand form, I'm getting my 7 speed out to 285. (distances measured by Bushnell rangefinder).

With 250-285 foot throws, I can make pars as I get more accurate/consistent.

Posture, posture, posture. You are going to hurt yourself throwing like that. You need to engage your core muscles tucking your navel to your belt buckle and rear arm/shoulder forward and lead shoulder protracted forward to swing the disc in behind the elbow/shoulder creating a power pocket to hug the disc and sling back out from center. Your rear leg should go behind the front leg like bowling finish, you are thrusting your rear hip into the swing aka humping the goat which extends your spine and extension and rotation are not good together.

dSIHQb4.png

Fantastic feedback thank you. That picture comparing me to Paul is shocking. The general shape might look relatively the same but if you look closer every single line/direction drawn is opposite.

I'm going to work on these drills and will get back with some updated video footage.

Latest posts