• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm opening a DG Pro Shop!

RomServo

Eagle Member
I'm excited to announce that I'm currently building plans to open a Disc Golf Pro Shop in my community! I've been absolutely captivated by this sport since i started only a couple years ago and now I've decided to do make it the platform for my everyday life. My community has a booming Disc Golf scene but doesnt have access to the recouces needed for the avid Disc Golfer. I want to give it to them. I've never been more confident that the time and place is perfect and that this is what my life has been building towards for years.

Any thoughts, tips, advice or suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

An easy to navigate online store to compliment your shop. If your successful and can get a large enough inventory, maybe start vending discs out to local convenience stores near courses. If you know any local TDs, maybe you can get into vending the AM prizes. Or if you feel like taking on the job yourself, run your own events.

Last edited:
Good luck man!!! Sounds amazing and I'm so glad to hear that it's happening!

An easy to navigate online store to compliment your shop. If your successful and can get a large enough inventory, maybe start vending discs out to local convenience stores near courses. If you know any local TDs, maybe you can get into vending the AM prizes. Or if you feel like taking on the job yourself, run your own events.

I 100% have plans to launch the online store in conjunction with the physical location. :thmbup:

I'll buy if u get an online store

Fayetteville, AR

Have traveled from KC to play Twin Creeks, JB Hunt, Sports Life, and Northshore. The Fayetteville area has some great courses and seems to have many people that love the game of disc golf... you may have found a great livelihood. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Have traveled from KC to play Twin Creeks, JB Hunt, Sports Life, and Northshore. The Fayetteville area has some great courses and seems to have many people that love the game of disc golf... you may have found a great livelihood. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Thank you! We really do have a hell of a scene here and it's growing rapidly. Last year there were several touring pros that came through for clinics and challenges for the first time. This year, Arkansas hosts its first A Tier Tounament with the Jonesboro Open in April. We've also seen some local players exploding into the spotlight with Danny Lindahl joining Dynamic Discs and Kevin Jones blowing up at the USDGC. It's a pivotal moment for Arkansas Disc Golf and we've got to get more awareness and support circulating in the community. Thanks everyone for your ideas and insight! Keep it coming!

Let me know what YOU would want out of your local Disc Golf Pro Shop!? :hfive:

A few things I have seen that I really liked at pro shops

#1 a driving net with speed gun for winter
#2 online store with pictures of each disc
#3 League/tournament central being located at the store if close enough to the course being used
#4 Things that are difficult to find/not worth ordering such as score card holders, umbrellas, disc retrievers...etc.

I'm sure you realize this, but you will certainly NEED to run events to vend to Ams. This serves a two-fold purpose, it forces AMs to use their payout on your merch, as well as it gets your store/brand name out to the community.

Best of luck, Rom! Even just starting with your enthusiasm is a huge step in a positive direction.

My area has a very active disc golf market as well, and while there are quite a few disc golf dedicated stores, the most successful are run by those who are actively running leagues and tournaments, sponsoring yet more tournaments, and working with local city/township boards for course improvements and installation. I believe one store owner is actually on the township board and put in a TON of work preparing for Pro Masters Worlds in August. He also runs 5 leagues through the local club he helped start, has a 10 event summer series sanctioned tournament series with a points system for "Summer Series finals" as well as donating for other local tournaments. The guy works his tail off for the local scene.

There's another local shop owner who puts in almost the same amount of work, and also runs an excellent online store with Disc Baron. Tons of tournament sponsorship, leagues, ect. These guys really make the local scene what it is.

I'm sure you realize this, but you will certainly NEED to run events to vend to Ams. This serves a two-fold purpose, it forces AMs to use their payout on your merch, as well as it gets your store/brand name out to the community.

This.

What I see often in my area is the local pro shops being the vendor for events, but not necessarily the TD or run the event. The pro shop makes the money on the wholesale / retail difference, and then gives the TD / Event a cut in the form of a sponsorship to the event. It becomes a win/win since the TD/Event planner doesn't have to fork out the capital outlay to vend the event and the players have the option to purchase their prizes from the full selection of a pro shop at a later date (vouchers will typically expire at the end of the year).

One thing I had hoped to add when I had a small shop for about 9-10 months was a big TV running DG vids. My thinking was that it would keep people in the store longer, maybe even point them to the correct discs for their skill level or show/discuss pro clinics that are available.

One caution, people would request certain molds to have available at upcoming events but then wouldn't use their vouchers to but them, so I would have un-sellable inventory directed at specific players. Best to keep the inventory broad to start and keep lots of new releases on-hand.