• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm opening a DG Pro Shop!

If I was a young man, I would investigate a mobile disc golf shoppe.

A nice custom trailer with pop up sides for racks of discs. Nice cold drinks, snacks and dg accessories.

Drag it to the course(s) on weekends.

Thank god I'm not a young man.

Last edited:

A nice custom trailer with pop up sides for racks of discs. Nice cold drinks, snacks and dg accessories.

Add a mail order out of your home and you have a start without the huge overhead.

Of course I can't even remember back to being a young man!

There is a guy who does this at BB Owen and a few other courses in North Dallas. Pretty good selection for a small-ish trailer, has competitive prices and takes credit cards. Can't think of the name right now, they might have an online store and a larger storage/shop but he had most of the current and classic molds available.

You don't have to stock every manufacturer. Look at what's popular where you are and go with those manufacturers. You can always add some others later. If Gateway and MVP aren't really popular where you are? Then you don't have to start of with them.

If there is anyway to set up a driving range where you're at, that is a massive plus. Basically they can check out some Discs, and you hold onto their ID while they try it. It may not be practical where you're at, but if you can do it, that's something an online store can never offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the one we have in the Puget Sound area.

Attachments

• 6603_667969096639438_5506886980795823174_n.jpg
    6603_667969096639438_5506886980795823174_n.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 75
Good luck on your new business venture! I had an idea of selling disc's out of vending machines placed at disc golf courses. Seems like there are a lot of people who's only option to buy disc's are online because there isn't a pro shop close by. I'm still looking into my idea but someone has already beat me to the punch! Day late, dollar short, my life story! lol :wall:

https://www.pdga.com/think-outside-boxx

Something I've really appreciated is popup disc shops next to hole 1 on the weekends in the summer. Buy a lot of used discs for cheap, sell for >50% margin in bins that you lug to the aforementioned popup. Put together your own beginner sets of used discs and undercut Innova. Sell cheap drinks. Give away decals with your logo.

Also, in the way of an online presence, do something the other guys don't - if you can't beat DGC on price and free shipping, you better have what they don't. They have quite a selection, but are missing pics of each disc. If you really want to cater to the thinking disc golfer, consider a profile pic of each disc using a rig with some kind of chart in the background for comparing dome and PLH.

Anyway, I'm no business guy. But used discs at least seems like a no brainer, money that all my local shops leave on the table.

I agree with those who suggest being a vendor for tournaments, leagues.

Also work with school boards and athletic directors/ PE teachers to get baskets installed and have disc golf a part of their programs. Youth that get interested, will spend their parent's money for equipment to play. Youth leagues, youth only tournaments all build the sport.

You can make money sponsoring tournaments, providing the players packs. You provide the packs at your cost, to the players at the retail value so make a profit on them. You also provide the award payouts, either as tournament specific items or merchandise vouchers.

Running tournaments as the TD can also net you some profits, depending on the number of players there will be extra money. Don't forget about the player's pack being a free lunch, work out a caterer's cost for the group that is below retail, so you get more profits.

Seeding some of the tournament money back into the local club builds your relationship with the club and players.

Putting Leagues

So, I'm coming back to this thread three months later with an official update.

After research within my community, it was ultimately determined that it was the general consensus that a disc golf pro shop would not flourish eefectively to the extent of pursuance. In short, I have not opened a disc golf pro shop.

Most local players, including some pro players, ageed that "We're not quite there yet." Although I do not necessarily agree with that, it didnt seem as promising of a business model as I had hoped.

Other ideas did arise in the midst of all this planning. The idea of a disc golf themed bar came up. A local pub that has baskets instead of dart boards was sort of the feel for that one. Then you start getting into liqour licenses etc.

In the end, I want to thank everyone for your advice and support. I'm appreciative to have this community here on DGCR to bounce these kinds of ideas off of. I learned alot and I'm glad I at least tried. Ultimately, i'ts just not going to work right here right now.

In closing, thank you all again and good luck in your own adventures. Cheers!

Putting leagues are a growing part of the sport of disc golf. The one here in Charlotte, teams up with a craft brewery, using their facility for the league. They set up two baskets per lane, teams of two, play like horse shoes. Three discs each team.

Out local putting league this year is capped at 80 players, and will be a full league. They run it during the winter months for the longer nights when evening glow leagues are not as popular.

Another way to grow the sport and build your business.

I don't know why this can't be done all year long, running 6 week leagues.