• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm sorta new

I'm 17 and I regularily play at the Ali Magnet course in Apple Valley.

Basically, my technique doesn't grow that fast and on a good day I'll get +3 overall.

What I don't get is when some really good guys come in who will get mostly birdies and act like *******s. Is this normal, or are they just full of themselves?

Because on the other side of that last week I was playing at a course that was confusing to get through and some veteran players helped us through the whole course.

Its just like anything else. We have let several people play through because we are rather slow, especially when our daughter is playing and some just walk by and don't even acknowledge you and others stop and chat and basically negate the fact that you let them play through but it is cool because they are nice.

Obviously I have never seen someone who sucks act like a jerk...but I bet if you look around at other courses you don't see those same people...like they are "course pros" or something and have an attitude about it.

its in every sport and varies by region. youre going to have nice people and mean people. just like with disc return people will call and try and return your disc to you where others will just keep it.

I think it is a regional thing. I was raised in the west but went to school and currently live on the east coast. In the west (especially rural areas) running into polite people is the norm. On the east coast it is the exception to the rule. However, I have found this not to the be case on the disc golf course. I have been pleasantly surprised with the people I have met disc golfing.

I refer you to a thread I started about Pros.

We do not have pros in disc golf.

Would Jerry Rice treat a fan or spectator the way you describe?

I call it Buddy Pacattism.
DG has its share of wannaB, legend in their own mind OPEN players who are ABSOLUTELY not professionals.

Then you have the real deal like Des Reading, etc...

Generalizations are useless in this regard. There are friendly people and less than friendly people in all locations and at every skill level. I've played in every region and in multiple countries - and can say that without reservation.

Be yourself. If you are outgoing and friendly, you will be more apt to find like minded people. Don't bother worrying about the others.

That is your opinion.

I maintain there really are not pros (for the most part) in DG and THAT is why you do not see a lot of "Jerry Riceism"

There are, of course... obvious exceptions.

A legend in their own mind does not usually make a good mentor is the point I was attempting to get across.

Last edited:
I didn't offer it as anything other than my opinion.

I personally find little value in the "pro" and "am" labels that are used in dg - as they don't reflect much in the way of reality on either side of the coin. Consequently - I discount attitudes / sterotypes /generalizations that use those labels as a foundation.

People are people - you will find good ones and bad ones wherever you go, the DGC is no exception.

Pro level players are no more or less approachable than any other group, be they am level tournament players, or purely recreational players. Not everyone on the course will go out of their way to communicate with, seek the company of, or assist other people they do not know. That doesn't necessarily make them a-holes. It's kind of hard to tell what the guys referred to in the original post were doing that qualified them as such.

Making broad generalizations about people that fit into a certain skill group can seldom be accurate, or productive IMO.

The majority of OPEN players are NOT pros.

That is not a generalization but a fact.

Many of them do not have Jerry Rice demeanor. They are more like Terrell Owens.
That is not a fact but it is a HUGE trend... surely you get the drift? Maybe not.

Victor,
I get your drift - I just don't agree.
If "pros" in louisiana act like T.O. - well then I'm sorry for your experiences in dealing with them.
I'm not sure how or why that establishes a "HUGE" trend, as I have been playing "pro" for over 20 years, in every region of the country, 7 countries, 3 continents; and can say conclusively that the majority of Open players don't act that way.

You are certainly entitled to a differing opinion.

But inserting your opinion/argument about whether or not the sport has true professionals in it is largely non-applicable to the original post. Having read your thread on that other topic - I gotta ask - do you have any first hand experience w/Jerry Rice? Seems to me you have placed him on quite the pedestal, and without actual 1st hand interaction, you have done so based on pure perception of a media generated persona. Transferring those perceptions to whole groups of people in a whole other demographic seems rather.................detached. But maybe that's just me.

Jerry Rice eats babies while dancing to devilish fiddle music.

Ali is gonna get home today and find his post/thread question completely subverted into a Bill Moyers Journal piece. ( is it just me or are the collective members just a bit testy this morning?)

Ali Magnet, some golfers are helpful and some are full of themselves. Try and play with the kinder/gentler better players and your game will steadily improve

That guy says he is sorta new, what better way to initiate him to DGCR then with some healthy threadjacking?

Demeanor is part of being a pro. Jerry Rice is just an example. Surely you know what an analogy is.
Terrell has horrid demeanor, imho... and again, perfect analogy.

I do not like either one of them, fwiw. The 49ers used to be in the Saints division, so yea.
That does not mean I won't acknowledge that Jerry Rice was a true professional.

I am not just referring to OPEN players in this region. I am referring to OPEN players across the globe who think they are professional atheletes and they clearly are NOT yet they think they ARE and they act high and mighty. That is what the guy OP was alluding to and my theory it is because they are wannab's. I staffed at Worlds so I have some hands on experience with a wide swath of OPEN players.

Anyway, that Terrell Owenism is not exclusive to any one region. It is widespread. IMHO

As stated previously, that is not exlusive. DG clearly has a handfull of true professional atheletes.

Let me guess some of you that seem uppity about this topic play OPEN but you do not make a living at it??

Lets shine the light of reality on your perspective... what divisions do you compete in?

Last edited:

Latest posts