• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm taking a person out who's never thrown a disc and want advice

From A First Year Player...

...although I played a high level of ultimate back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The disc golf throw isn't the Frisbee play catch throw, so starting out right matters. I like the comments about introducing an understable mid like a DX Stingray and a putter like an Aviar.

I taught my 26 year old athletic daughter (with no Frisbee experience) the backhand pull using a Foxbat (similar enough flight to the Stingray, and small rim). She got it on the third attempt; level flight with glide out to ~125 feet, straight. That's where you start.

I disagree with the "hand them a disc and let 'er rip" approach, unless the new player is already an accomplished athlete. Throw an understable mid from the tee, and putt/approach with a basic putter.

That'd be my $.02.

...although I played a high level of ultimate back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The disc golf throw isn't the Frisbee play catch throw, so starting out right matters. I like the comments about introducing an understable mid like a DX Stingray and a putter like an Aviar.

I taught my 26 year old athletic daughter (with no Frisbee experience) the backhand pull using a Foxbat (similar enough flight to the Stingray, and small rim). She got it on the third attempt; level flight with glide out to ~125 feet, straight. That's where you start.

I disagree with the "hand them a disc and let 'er rip" approach, unless the new player is already an accomplished athlete. Throw an understable mid from the tee, and putt/approach with a basic putter.

That'd be my $.02.

Okay. I certainly respect your opinion but I would offer an alternative view. First and foremost, I doubt that many of us, even really good DGers are accomplished athletes. I certainly don't know any. I know some former athlete who have slowly gone to seed (looks in the mirror). Also, I think the first time you do any new activity you should approach it pretty casually and try to have fun. The idea of "you have to have this and you have to throw it this way and you have to use these terms to describe it, etc.) can dissuade many people from ever going out for a second time because their first time was an overwhelming grind. I don't disagree that DG is best learned with slow US discs. That's what I did and continue to do, with the occasional disastrous foray into speed 9-10 in my first couple of months. However, the first time you play you don't know if you are going to be a DGer and having someone put too many rules and do's and don'ts in place immediately might ensure that you won't be.

^^^I don't know how you read all that in philgretz's post, when he simply disagreed with giving novices a Boss and telling them to throw it, with the inevitability of telling them why they can't throw it.
If you were going to teach someone to read, would you give them "War and Peace", or "Fun With Dick and Jane"?

^^^I don't know how you read all that in philgretz's post, when he simply disagreed with giving novices a Boss and telling them to throw it, with the inevitability of telling them why they can't throw it.
If you were going to teach someone to read, would you give them "War and Peace", or "Fun With Dick and Jane"?

I wouldn't try to teach them anything their first time out. I would let them throw what they want and try to have fun instead of worrying about what they were throwing. As far as reading into his post, I simply read what was written, actually being pretty careful not to do what you seem to be saying I did.

Using the act of teaching reading as as an analog to teaching disc golf is simplistic. They are vastly different things. Letting someone read cat as dog without correcting them would be disastrous for their future progress. Throwing a Boss (which I never mentioned, though I did mention a Roadrunner earlier, about as beginner-friendly as drivers get) for a round or two while figuring out if you like DG is not; you can simply switch to something more suited to your skill level if you find you want to keep playing. I simply think that too much too soon is off-putting. Let people throw what they want their first time out, walk around, enjoy the sunshine, and have fun instead of being told to do it a certain way with a certain disc.

...although I played a high level of ultimate back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The disc golf throw isn't the Frisbee play catch throw...

As someone who also threw ultimates for many years, I can tell you my disc golf approach shots inside 200' are exactly like my ultimate throws -- I even fan grip approaches the same way I grip ultimates. That part of disc golf was pretty seamless for me -- mids and putters were very easy to throw well right away. Drivers required learning how to grip wide rim discs, and of course learning the release angles to make them fly properly based on their characteristics, wind conditions, etc.

asro-

I see the problem.

You're projecting what YOU'RE doing on other people. Because if anyone's telling others how to do things, its you.

asro-
Because if anyone's telling others how to do things, its you.

Of course I am. Philgretz was too. As most people who express an opinion are. Philgretz thinks this way, I think this way, someone else thinks something else, so we all try to say that we think this is the right way. Discussion usually leads to opposing viewpoints; if it's good discussion it absolutely should. You seem to be trying to ratchet up the tenor of the discussion a little bit though, so I'll check out here. It's been fun!

As someone who also threw ultimates for many years, I can tell you my disc golf approach shots inside 200' are exactly like my ultimate throws -- I even fan grip approaches the same way I grip ultimates. That part of disc golf was pretty seamless for me -- mids and putters were very easy to throw well right away. Drivers required learning how to grip wide rim discs, and of course learning the release angles to make them fly properly based on their characteristics, wind conditions, etc.

I agree with you 100%, @Consult20, as that has been my experience as well. I was generalizing when I should have said nose angle and greater variation in disc stabilities instead. The upshot and approach game is very similar to ultimate from both sides, except that you don't have an opponent in your face trying to block your throws. Heh.

What I discovered is that I had wasted energy in my backhand form that didn't translate into proper disc flight. That all had to be deconstructed and re-shaped more into an effective throw. It took about 3-4 months to begin to tame...

Im going to revise my statement to exclude the sexual innuendo. When I started Dg my buddy handed me a driver and said let it rip. I'm a bigger guy that used to be good at sports. By the end of that first round I could throw 250ft with a sidearm and boy was I hooked. I still remember getting a birdie on a 330ish ft hole that was over a river and under a bridge on my first round.

On the other hand, I tried this with my wife and she couldn't throw a high speed driver or a sidearm if her life depended on it. I ended up giving her a pink King cobra that she immediately fell in love with.

The other major difference between the two events was the teaching that happened. When I took my wife out I learned to just keep my mouth shut unless she had a question. That first time I went I'm pretty sure my buddies ear was bleeding and he was tired of teaching.

Basically, it depends on the person you are bringing. If you give them a shark and they keep turning it over and getting frustrated, just give them a driver to compensate. Or if they are susceptible to teaching then give them some pointers. Either way the first time should be fun if you want to get them out a second time.

I'd suggest starting with two discs : mid and putter. Shark is a good choice but any stable to understable mid should do. And any putter (bring beaded and non-beaded, let them pick). Show them a basic fan grip and a power grip and the basics of backhand and forehand. Then just go have fun. I also like the suggestion that you should only bring a mid & putter. No since out throwing them by 100-200 feet and making them feel silly.

You may also want to bring a fairway driver (leopard is good option). If they get the hang of the mid, pull out the fairway and let them give it a go.

Finally go to an easy - uncrowded course. Nothing will turn them off faster than having to dig discs out of the weeds & brush.

I just hit my first full year of playing and have introduced 3-4 of my friends to the game during that time, so I have been on both sides of this scenario in the last year

As others have said, just focus on making it fun. Give them some very basic pointers and then let them do their thing. You may need to read the person a bit though. If you can see they're getting frustrated and are asking you questions, then sure, give them some more simple advice. However, if they're throwing 50 foot noob hyzers but seem to be having the time of their life, let them do that and don't try to coach them into being a pro.

As far as disc selection, I doubt it will make a difference what they throw, so imo, give them a driver and tell them it's a driver. All my friends that I introduced were at least familiar with ball golf so they seemed a lot more excited to throw a driver than a putter. Sure, it goes against all conventional wisdom for their skill level and they probably won't throw it any further than they would a putter, but they don't know that, and it's exciting for them to think they're throwing a powerful disc.

Also, make sure you are staying positive even if you're having a bad round (not calling out OP specifically). Blowing up because you missed a 20 foot putt is not going to leave a good impression when they are missing a 10 footer by 5 feet, it will just make them feel terrible

Once they show up for their 4th or 5th round and they start asking about improvement, you can start setting them up with proper discs and delve more into strategy

Good luck and remember your only goal for his first round is to make it fun enough so that they want to come back!

Last edited:
I just hit my first full year of playing and have introduced 3-4 of my friends to the game during that time, so I have been on both sides of this scenario in the last year

As others have said, just focus on making it fun. Give them some very basic pointers and then let them do their thing. You may need to read the person a bit though. If you can see they're getting frustrated and are asking you questions, then sure, give them some more simple advice. However, if they're throwing 50 foot noob hyzers but seem to be having the time of their life, let them do that and don't try to coach them into being a pro.

As far as disc selection, I doubt it will make a difference what they throw, so imo, give them a driver and tell them it's a driver. All my friends that I introduced were at least familiar with ball golf so they seemed a lot more excited to throw a driver than a putter. Sure, it goes against all conventional wisdom for their skill level and they probably won't throw it any further than they would a putter, but they don't know that, and it's exciting for them to think they're throwing a powerful disc.

Also, make sure you are staying positive even if you're having a bad round (not calling out OP specifically). Blowing up because you missed a 20 foot putt is not going to leave a good impression when they are missing a 10 footer by 5 feet, it will just make them feel terrible

Once they show up for their 4th or 5th round and they start asking about improvement, you can start setting them up with proper discs and delve more into strategy

Good luck and remember your only goal for his first round is to make it fun enough so that they want to come back!

Perfect!

I always give them a cobra and some other mid and have them throw both off the first tee. the one that goes farthest I say "I'd use THAT one". then they have a little confidence to start.

They put three discs in starter packs for a reason.

I assumed the reason was to sell a third disc. :p

I started with three discs, too, but in retrospect I think I would have been better off with just an understable fairway driver and a putter.