• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Iman's Drives

Iman522

Bogey Member
Here is a link to three of my drives. No one around here has any more advice for me but I know there are problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoQ3akuN3s

1st throw was a decent throw with a z buzzz.
2nd was with a S-PD. It was probably the best and went about 380.
3rd is another S-PD. It was another decent throw nothing awesome nothing terrible.

Please let me know some thoughts. I really want to rework my drive during the offseason but am kinda stuck and not sure where to go from here.

(note: the first two were into a headwind just a tinge to the right while the last to are the opposite.)

1. I just wanted to try embedding a video and you were my guinea pig.
2. Nose up. your run up and throw/follow through look okay but you are throwing nose up.
3. are you wearing just socks? or are they five fingers?

Busy so the cliff notes are try to get your weight more forward about 4-6" with the chest and try to twist the hips actively to the right and the shoulders as well before the disc rips.

Yikes was out of the loop for a couple days and haven't been able to reply. Lol...glad I could be your guinea pig keltik. They are the five fingers and not socks which by the way are the best dg shoes ever. Would more weight shift help me with nose down? I think I need to get back to brad's pred drill for awhile and work on that a bit. One thing I did notice is maybe a bit more acceleration which I guess I'll have to work on some more to. :roll:

Pushing harder with the left leg pushes you faster forward lowering the front of the disc helping with nose down angle. If you reach back at the same height than you release it is easier to get the nose down. On some of your throws you released higher than the reach back height. You really should try to accelerate harder with the arm from the right pec accelerating harder than now. That gets easier once you first get more legs and hips to give you momentum. In the first throw you ran in an anhyzer directionand the plants landed in an anny position but the arm went on a hyzer. Too many moving parts that lowers repeatability until you train that type of throw to be automatic. If you even can achieve it. Perhaps not everyone can some seem to be able to with enough repetitions. So for a hyzer running from rear left to front center or right and planting the right leg to the right of the line you're running aligns every body part moving in the same direction. Making it easier to always throw in the same direction and giving you a larger margin of error on your timing and body part placements.

You are so spot on with everything, Aaron haha. I also noticed it looks like you are arming it alot. Try to keep your bicep completely dead when you throw. Also, try not to bear down on the disc from start to finish.

1. keeping your bicep unflexed means that you will have greater arm speed, creating more of a whip that stays closer to your chest.

2. bear down on the disc after you feel your wrist starting to "uncock." Anything before this reduces the pivot of your wrist, which gives you the snap on the disc.

So after all the random comments on this video, I decided to completely rework my form. I have had some mixed results and I think I am finally consistently to the final plateau. I appreciate everyone's input and as soon as it warms up and the snow melts, I will try to post a new vid.

So here is an updated video of my form. Lately I have been hitting lines really well and my control is crazy good. It's super wind outside if you could not tell. I would really like to break all my distance plateaus so I will try to update this frequently. There's a couple slow mo ones at the very end as well.

I noticed maybe my shoulders are opening a bit to fast. The disc seemed to be slipping instead of ripping a bit more than usual so I have a tiny timing issue there too.

That looks good but i agree with the early shoulder turn. Because you have control with that form feel free to add step speed and reach back to toes and chest 180 away from the target with the option of even more for the shoulder line. For added D. The follow through at higher speeds especially should have the chest pointed 90 degree right of the target once you stop for a flat throw. And the left leg to right leg line should be inline with the target. Annies follow through farther and hyzers less. You need to have symmetry in motions to stay in balance and create the most force.

How far do you throw now?

Thanks for the input JR. After posting my first video, you guys made me realize that I did have some form issues so I have been working to fix them. Yesterday I was throwing 450...on spike hyzers! 8) It was so ridiculously windy though...

I currently throw PD's about 350-375 ft. and surges 380-400 ft. In the first set of videos I had put that I threw a PD 380 ft. but that was probably a bit inflated as it was measured with a wheel. I have since measured the same field with google earth and so I now have a more accurate distance measurement.

Those look like some clean throws. Would you mind checking out my video and offering some advice? It's called "distance drives" just a couple threads down.

Iman522 said:
I decided to completely rework my form

Would you mind sharing your process of reworking? Did you have any specific focus? I've tried to "rework" mine and now I'm in a messy place where sometimes I have awesome control and sometimes none at all.

Sorry no critique here, my form isn't good enough myself do diagnose others yet.

But, I don't know if it's because of the angle in the second video or the quality of film, but you can really the great acceleration you have late in the throw. Good work!

himynameismatt said:
Sorry no critique here, my form isn't good enough myself do diagnose others yet.

Who does? Every time i mean. There's the do what i say don't do what i do school :-D Except it is good if you can put it together every now and then so that you've experienced how it should go.

Latest posts