• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Impossible Lie

I remember a thread a while back about hole 9 at diamond x, about if you landed in the 'cave' under the basket if you could get vertical relief to the playing surface above for a tap in, otherwise it was an impossible lie, there is no physical way to get your foot behind your disc (even if it were possible, it wouldn't be possible to get the rest of your body behind the lie) if you are all the way into the cave, it would be an impossible lie. Not like these others above that have video evidence that the are quite possible...

Martin,

You seem like a nice guy. Can't you see there is a massive boner waving contest going on here? Don't try to derail the thread back to its original content.

Sheesh.

I threw a roller through an opening in a fence about 2" wide from 400' away... Into ob. I would say near impossible to replicate

I remember a thread a while back about hole 9 at diamond x, about if you landed in the 'cave' under the basket if you could get vertical relief to the playing surface above for a tap in, otherwise it was an impossible lie, there is no physical way to get your foot behind your disc (even if it were possible, it wouldn't be possible to get the rest of your body behind the lie) if you are all the way into the cave, it would be an impossible lie. Not like these others above that have video evidence that the are quite possible...

Diamond X has lots of potential for unplayable lies or lies that you can't safely get to and throw from. I've never seen anyone need verticle relief from the spot mentioned above though. But it brings up a good point.

If you say, "I'm under the cliff and it's unplayable. I'll take verticle relief." But I say, "Look, I can crawl under the cliff and have a legal stance by placing my hand on the lie. Yeah, it's just a pitch out, but the stance is legal."

These type of arguments happen quite often at Diamond X where many lies are not very friendly. Could be a large bush that somebody "can't crawl into" or an awkward stance around a rock formation. I've always thought that if somebody in the group could demonstrate a "legal stance", regardless of how favorable it is for the desired shot, the lie is playable.

Is it group consensus at this point? What if player 1 is big and can't fit under the cliff so it's unplayable for him but I'm thin and flexible so I can play the lie from a legal stance? That seems unfair to the player who can play the lie when the other could argue it's unplayable.

There's always relief available from any lie but many do not want the 1-throw penalty that comes with it.

Define "impossible".

No he didn't. He gave one example of what he called 'impossible." And since Barry eventually got there, I guess it was possible. And sorry English grammar Nazis, I wasn't being a smart Alec. I was asking if he meant impossible in the figurative sense (meaning "hard to deal with", as in the sentence, "...some disc golfers' attitudes are 'impossible!' "), or in the literal sense (as in no physical way).

There's no such thing as an impossible lie. If there were, these lies wouldn't happen.

And about Barry....

See what I mean.

Impossible for me to get in there without some bolt cutters.

Not wanting to call into question abilities or disabilities, but if he meant 'impossible' in the literal sense, then doesn't having a scenario like yours above mean it is possible?

There's always relief available from any lie but many do not want the 1-throw penalty that comes with it.

bingo.

Diamond X has lots of potential for unplayable lies or lies that you can't safely get to and throw from. I've never seen anyone need verticle relief from the spot mentioned above though. But it brings up a good point.

If you say, "I'm under the cliff and it's unplayable. I'll take verticle relief." But I say, "Look, I can crawl under the cliff and have a legal stance by placing my hand on the lie. Yeah, it's just a pitch out, but the stance is legal."

These type of arguments happen quite often at Diamond X where many lies are not very friendly. Could be a large bush that somebody "can't crawl into" or an awkward stance around a rock formation. I've always thought that if somebody in the group could demonstrate a "legal stance", regardless of how favorable it is for the desired shot, the lie is playable.

Is it group consensus at this point? What if player 1 is big and can't fit under the cliff so it's unplayable for him but I'm thin and flexible so I can play the lie from a legal stance? That seems unfair to the player who can play the lie when the other could argue it's unplayable.

I'm one who agrees with you. There's no such thing as an "unplayable lie" now, particularly if the disc on the playing surface. It's up to the TD to correctly define the playing surface, so that's why I said the OP should define "impossible". If they can get a hand or something behind the marker, then it's not unplayable. Good TDs will make proper use of bunCR and other CR to avoid these arguments.

Latest posts