• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

Never played it myself, but Bucksnort may be the highest-rated course to pass away:

http://bucksnort.healthtrains.net/

Although I read in another thread a hint that they're holding out hope for the future. It's currently listed as "unplayable" on this site.

You played Flyboy right?

It closed to the public by Kelly's own choice but that course held the #1 spot when it "retired".

My understanding though, is it is still playable under limited circumstances.

Last edited:
You played Flyboy right?

It closed by Kelly's own choice but that course held the #1 spot when it "retired".

I almost cited it, but it never entirely closed. It was withdrawn from this site, but still exists and is occasionally playable. In fact, the two times I played it were after that.

I also wondered if Bucksnort might follow a similar route---unlisted, under the radar, still playable by a few select people. If things don't work out there, I mean.

I also wondered if Bucksnort might follow a similar route---unlisted, under the radar, still playable by a few select people. If things don't work out there, I mean.
I sure hope so...

No more Dirty Discing @ Mountain Lake, VA :(
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6420&mode=ci

What a spectacular view of the Blue Ridges from the old clubhouse behind hole 15 @4000' above sea level:
10310961_10208727008356625_1502391779868419417_n.jpg

I've been hearing it was going to close for a couple years now. Sad to see it go. Gorgeous course.

Saw Tyler over the weekend... I believe he said baskets were getting pulled this week. Opens up a spot in the Top 5 in Virginia.

Obviously, the course in VA that I am most interested in playing is Hawk Hollow. Funny story, I found a Hawk Hollow mini at the Blockhouse (I think) a couple of years ago. It took me a year or so to figure out where Hawk Hollow was located. Now I can't wait to get back up there and give it a go.

Saw Tyler over the weekend... I believe he said baskets were getting pulled this week. Opens up a spot in the Top 5 in Virginia.

Um, any plans to fill that spot? :D

Um, any plans to fill that spot? :D

Lake Marshall Lions will be in there when complete but that won't be until Fall at earliest. Lake Marshall Lair will be done late Spring/early Summer and might crack the top 5 in the state. Ditto Freedom Center. I have one more in the general vicinity of Marshall (the town, not the lake) that is currently awaiting permitting type stuff that will be a candidate as well. It's a good time to be a disc golfer in Virginia despite the loss of Mountain Lake.

Lake Marshall Lions will be in there when complete but that won't be until Fall at earliest. Lake Marshall Lair will be done late Spring/early Summer and might crack the top 5 in the state.

Sweet! A group of us are very interested to travel to Lake Marshall when most of the holes are playable.

Ditto Freedom Center.

That's an amazing course. I joined the club and dragged my creaky knees out for a day to help install a couple of teepads (and I'm still paying for it).

I have one more in the general vicinity of Marshall (the town, not the lake) that is currently awaiting permitting type stuff that will be a candidate as well. . . .

Oooh, Marshall VA is a little over an hour from home. Please keep us posted on that, too!

I played the One in Lompoc California, behind the Original Holiday Inn. Course is most likely gone from what people on here have said. That was the shortest 9 hole course I had ever played.

I had the Bohart courses changed to extinct as there is no chance of them operating this summer. Still have hopes that we'll get back up there in the future but don't want anyone having false hopes for this year.

I did the most cursory of searches but didn't find the Fossil Hill Tn course on here. John Winery's course. Some good memories there - a large cluster of Roan Mountain lillies, a couple of hissing baby buzzards, a dead cow, an ace on a short double mando hole with a Juliana stamped Stratus (while I was whooping it up my wife sat calmly and watched, her comment, "I thought that was what you were supposed to do.", and she was right). Good times.

Bear Creek in Grapevine, TX was my favorite course in the DFW area. I kind of served as teh "Welcome to Dallas / Ft Worth" course, as it was right by the airport. I managed to get one last round in before it was closed.

Two of my all-time favorites that are gone are Emerald Isle in Oceanside, CA and the original Rockledge DGC in Rockledge, FL. The Emerald Isle Golf Course is still open for business, but the baskets were pulled several years ago after the retirees who ran the HOA surrounding the course got fed up with disc golfer shenanigans. That was truly a shame because Emerald Isle's executive-length layout lent itself well to disc golf. And there were six holes with carries over water and one that had water along the left side for the last 300' or so.

The original Rockledge DGC was installed in 1977 (or so) and was a Steady Ed design. I think he simply rode a bulldozer through the mangrove swamp to create the fairways. It was a fantastic layout for Midnight Flyers and stood up well against Puppys, Kitty Hawks and the first few generations of Innova, Discraft and Lightning beveled-edge discs. Sadly, the land became too valuable and was sold to Walmart - the baskets moved around the corner to a new plot of land that was far inferior. My best memories of Rockledge were of the people I played with there. I played my first rounds there while in high school and kept coming back for tournaments after starting college. Here's my best guess at a list of PDGA Hall of Famers that I played rounds with at Rockledge:
#33 - Tom Monroe
#55 - Steve Slasor
#283 - Patti Kunkle
#790 - John David
#1025 - Jeff Homburg
#1213 - Alan Beaver
#1401 - Tim Willis
#1602 - Gregg Hosfeld
#1739 - Brian Cummings
#2198 - Vanessa Chambers
#2234 - Gary Lewis
#2300 - Carlton Howard

Jeff and Mark Watson should be in the HoF - they'd be there too.

I miss that place.

(That list is probably 90% accurate - there were a few people I left out and kept in that I wasn't completely sure about...it's been a few years)

Rest in peace Bear Creek in Grapevine, Texas. I learned to golf at Bear Creek and gained quite a few friends. No other course has ever brought me the same joy when playing. It really hurts me that the city closed the course down for a dog park. (its been a year since they shut down the course and yet no signs of a dog park being constructed)

We need one for worst extinct courses and people putt why they went extinct so Disc golfer can learn from either design mistakes or where not to put a disc golf course.

Well the couse I installed might be missing 1/4th the course soon, back 6-10 are disappearing due to construction, blame dumb voters who think the iron in the water is what is causing the water to be not safe to drink, and putting in a water treatment plant where we do not need one, better places in town but they are 100% determined to put it right in the park and stuff. Other changes with a bridge would loose hole 6 and have it gone forever.

I would not be surprised if the city of Pierre gets dumb and pulls the Steamboat course in Pierre SD to scrap the baskets for money, better play that course while you can. If smart they ask the parks to pull the course then smart members of the local club ask the parks department to help with the building of a course else wear in Pierre. I can think of a single spot on Pierre that nobody owns or uses or is for sale, only thing is it is not in a park.