• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

My favorite extinct course is still there and I still play it often. Quirk of this site is to make this kind of course extinct because holes were added to create two new distinct courses. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5403

If they are two separate courses then they need to be treated as shuch and not a course that to me would seem like they are calling it x2 due to alternate tee pads. in which case if thy were alternate tee pads the course should be with alternates listed with them as alternate tee pads. :\

If they are two separate courses then they need to be treated as shuch and not a course that to me would seem like they are calling it x2 due to alternate tee pads. in which case if thy were alternate tee pads the course should be with alternates listed with them as alternate tee pads. :\

Nope, not alternate pads. There are 37 pads. Original 12 is still there too, even though it's not part of either new course. Its basket is used for Gold 12 And approached from the other direction. I may play the extinct course today.

Nope, not alternate pads. There are 37 pads. Original 12 is still there too, even though it's not part of either new course. Its basket is used for Gold 12 And approached from the other direction. I may play the extinct course today.

Yeah with Steamboat Park Pierre South Dakota if they actually put the water treatment plant in where they are planning then the course is a 14 or 13 hole course depending on if hole 6 survives a new bridge being put in. They might Scrap baskets 6/7-10 or just sell off the DB-5 baskets with old Mach III tops, basically are like modern Mach III now. They would have to cut the basket from the concrete block the DB-5 round base is in. That is assuming the city does not sell off or scrap the entire course for $$, they already do not like having to work around a few of the baskets during a 3.25 day festival in June that starts on a Thursday night.

Last edited:
Never played it myself, but Bucksnort may be the highest-rated course to pass away:

http://bucksnort.healthtrains.net/

Although I read in another thread a hint that they're holding out hope for the future. It's currently listed as "unplayable" on this site.

Coyote Trace was getting ready to crack the top 10 when it RIPd :(

It was a small course in a small mountain town in CO, but Miller's Inn in Fraser was a fun course with a great feel and atmosphere. It could never stand up to the modern courses of today since it closed probably 20 years ago.

It appears that Granite Mountain, the phenomenally cool-looking Australian course, is closing due to bureaucratic stupidity.

With the silver lining that my bucket list bucket will be a bit lighter.

Granite mountain update

Hi if we could get more info on why granite mountain is closing, they just had a nice tournament out there. Do t give an explanation on their Facebook page either. Any info would be much appreciated, almost got to go this year was planning for next.

It's the middle of the night there, Nate won't be here for a while, but apparently the local government is demanding a fee payment of $300 per day if he allows anyone other than he or his wife to play---they're considering it a recreational facility. Even though he doesn't charge people to play, and has very little traffic (none at all for months at a time, I gather).

I've been following it for a few years---I call it the "sister course" to Stoney Hill, right down to the similar name---and it's a shame. He's worked so hard to build a course unlike any others there, worked very hard to get a big event there, pulled it off, and now this.

Sad to see governmental BS shut that down for public consumption.

Ozark Mountain, which is currently on life support but the plug will be pulled very soon. Ozark Mountain was the first of its kind when installed in 2000-2001. Even to this day there is very little that compare to it IMO.

Maybe not all time favorite but Eastway Park in Charlotte will be missed by many. Unfortunately the taste will not be that sour. With worlds and knowing she was leaving us maintenance had been minimal. Same with Robert L Smith park in Charlotte. She also will be in the RIP column soon.

Lucky for us in about 2.5 years we will have newly designed 18 hole courses on both properties and I hear Eastway will have a little 9 hole bun in the oven addition. Well I heard that from me since I'm making it.

Maybe not all time favorite but Eastway Park in Charlotte will be missed by many. Unfortunately the taste will not be that sour. With worlds and knowing she was leaving us maintenance had been minimal. Same with Robert L Smith park in Charlotte. She also will be in the RIP column soon.

Lucky for us in about 2.5 years we will have newly designed 18 hole courses on both properties and I hear Eastway will have a little 9 hole bun in the oven addition. Well I heard that from me since I'm making it.

What's happening with Eastway? Construction at the park?

Latest posts