• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In the Bag after year 1

mcskinny14

I've done a lot of research into my throw and physics of flight since I started but I'm looking for some advice on my current bag, if there is any mold I'm missing. I mainly throw trilogy but have a few Discraft discs.

Months playing/experience: 5 months
right-handed
Throwing Style: RHFH, some BH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Zone: 220/250'; Emac Truth: 230/260'; Getaway: 300/320'

Bag:
Main Drivers used:
Lucid Getaway 166
Lucid Getaway 173
x2 Lucid Felon 173
Lucid Trespass 174

Other Drivers in the bag
VIP Giant 173
Lucid Enforcer 173
Opto Bolt 172
Z fly dye Avenger SS 173
Prime burst Maverick 170

Midranges:
Emac Truth 172
Biofuzion Justice 174
Fuzion burst Warrant 172

Putter & Approach:
BT soft Harp
z Zone
Classic Blend Deputy

Anyone suggest adding a Lucid Verdict to compliment my midranges? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If you could only play with half of your discs (8 instead of 16), which ones would it be?

If you play a tournament, how many shots does each disc get?

Do you have a significant gap between your Justice and EMac? Can the Zone not cover those shots either?

I personally don't see enough of a gap between my Zone and my Raptor (similar to a Felon) to bag a super OS mid, and the OS mid I do bag (Malta, like a Justice/Verdict combo), rarely gets thrown, and I usually would've been better off throwing either the Zone or Raptor.

I'd focus on working with your mids, and get a Lucid or Fuzion Maverick and use that as your BH driver. Choose one Getaway and Felon to bag for your FH, and maybe carry a headwind disc (Enforcer maybe?). Get a neutral throwing putter or work on throwing your Deputy BH.

Post a form check thread if you want specific things to work on both BH and FH.

Given your distance reported, I'd say to drop anything that not a mid or putter and get those clean and further than your drivers are now. If you won't drop drivers, just use the Trespass and learn to throw it for any situation.

If you could only play with half of your discs (8 instead of 16), which ones would it be?

If you play a tournament, how many shots does each disc get?

Probably Getaway, Felon, Emac, justice, zone, Giant, harp and deputy. Getaway with most of the drives, emac with most of the shots in the 250' range and zone or harp for most approach and the deputy for putting

@ILUVSMGS18
I've been getting S curves out of my emac instead of straight and fading finish. (possibly anhyzer release?) My justice dumps incredibly fast because it's got a 1 glide so I typically use it to get out of trouble or make a mando that I've missed. I've been thinking about the verdict because it's a more overstable and slightly longer zone/harp and I'm super comfortable with those discs.

I carry 2 of each of the getaway/felon mainly because I throw them both on the same hole for practice as long as no one is coming up behind me.

I can backhand a banger-gt about 180-200 but not consistent. I don't backhand unless the hole doesn't have a fh line. The prime maverick is probably the worst disc I have in my bag so I've been hesitant to spend on a lucid one.

Last edited:
Given your distance reported, I'd say to drop anything that not a mid or putter and get those clean and further than your drivers are now. If you won't drop drivers, just use the Trespass and learn to throw it for any situation.

I'm too stubborn to drop the drivers. I've bombed a few. A really good throw goes 350' and my best is with a bolt that I measured at around 400 but I haven't matched that again.

Do you have a significant gap between your Justice and EMac?
Not against ILUVSMGS18's response, only lifting off the ``having or feeling a gap'': Every once in a while, I am undecided if I should rather throw the my Zone or my Teebird for a longer approach. This is when I feel the want for a Wasp to cover that gap. But then I throw one of the two discs I have a realize that there wasn't a gap actually. What I want to say: Not every feeling of having a gap means you truly have a gap.

Probably Getaway, Felon, Emac, justice, zone, Giant, harp and deputy. Getaway with most of the drives, emac with most of the shots in the 250' range and zone or harp for most approach and the deputy for putting
I'd suggest you only play with these discs. I'm sure you'll score better with them than if you bag the others as well. Besides, you have 1,5 kg less weight to carry.

The thing that irritates me with your bag is the heavy focus on overstable discs. Five of your eight discs are what most people consider really overstable discs: Giant, Felon, Justice, Zone and Harp. Why is that? What does the Giant and Felon do different? What does the Zone and Harp do different? (I don't bag understable discs neither, but the huge amount of overstability is standing out in your bag. Nikko is the only player I've seen to focus so much on OS discs. Do you throw anny-flexes all the time? Or do you suffer so much from OAT?)

To me, the core of your bag seems to be: Getaway, Emac, Deputy. Then add one slow overstable approach disc (Zone or Harp). With these four, you should be able to play 90-95% of all shots (in normal weather conditions). Add a fast overstable discs to get to 95-97%. Everything above is luxury.

I carry 2 of each of the getaway/felon mainly because I throw them both on the same hole for practice as long as no one is coming up behind me.
In my conception, the bag is what you carry to a tournament, i.e. the discs you intend to play with plus backups. Practice discs are a different thing. Often enough I have more discs on the course than what I consider my bag. I think it's an important lesson to structure your discs into the core bag, the speciality discs you bag as well, backups, practice discs.

Not against ILUVSMGS18's response, only lifting off the ``having or feeling a gap'': Every once in a while, I am undecided if I should rather throw the my Zone or my Teebird for a longer approach. This is when I feel the want for a Wasp to cover that gap. But then I throw one of the two discs I have a realize that there wasn't a gap actually. What I want to say: Not every feeling of having a gap means you truly have a gap.

I'd suggest you only play with these discs. I'm sure you'll score better with them than if you bag the others as well. Besides, you have 1,5 kg less weight to carry.

The thing that irritates me with your bag is the heavy focus on overstable discs. Five of your eight discs are what most people consider really overstable discs: Giant, Felon, Justice, Zone and Harp. Why is that? What does the Giant and Felon do different? What does the Zone and Harp do different? (I don't bag understable discs neither, but the huge amount of overstability is standing out in your bag. Nikko is the only player I've seen to focus so much on OS discs. Do you throw anny-flexes all the time? Or do you suffer so much from OAT?)

To me, the core of your bag seems to be: Getaway, Emac, Deputy. Then add one slow overstable approach disc (Zone or Harp). With these four, you should be able to play 90-95% of all shots (in normal weather conditions). Add a fast overstable discs to get to 95-97%. Everything above is luxury.

In my conception, the bag is what you carry to a tournament, i.e. the discs you intend to play with plus backups. Practice discs are a different thing. Often enough I have more discs on the course than what I consider my bag. I think it's an important lesson to structure your discs into the core bag, the speciality discs you bag as well, backups, practice discs.

Well I mainly bought the Giant because it was flag dyed and in the used bin so I carry it because I practice with it when I'm playing. I only throw it when I experiment and try to tweak my form/throw. The Giant goes about the same distance as the felon so I understand it's more disc than what I need but it was a good deal.

I understand what you mean by considering 'in the bag' as what you'd carry/throw in a tournament. I had a round yesterday at Naval Hill in Nashville that was -2 and I mainly threw the trespass, getaway, emac truth, zone, harp and deputy.

I don't throw a lot of understable discs currently because of my tendency to turn them into rollers in my recent stage of throwing. I assume this could be from OAT or rolling my wrist. I stopped bagging them a lot because of this. I can typically get a nice s-curve on the Getway. I do throw some anny-flex but mostly hyzer-flip or flat. The course I play most often needs a hard turn right on forehand shots. Understable discs would work great on that course rhbh.

The reason I bag zone and harp is because one's soft and the other is more premium plastic which I use more as a throwing putter than an approach disc. I've become comfortable with my approach game with the disc flying straight and fading right/left.

I'm definitely still learning and could definitely cut a lot of extra weight out of my bag.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes more sense now. What you tell now is much better than what your first post looked like!

Try to focus on your main discs (which doesn't mean you shouldn't throw your other discs as second shots as well). Less discs means more shots with each of them, means learning to know them better faster. For many players it's better to use a disc you know well and used on previous shots than a less known disc that might be a bit better suited for the shot.

If you want to correct the possible OAT in your throwing form, you need to practice with understable discs, because they show the error, whereas your overstable discs will hide it. (In tournament, use the discs that work best, but for practice try to improve your form.)

Thanks for the explanation. It makes more sense now. What you tell now is much better than what your first post looked like!

Try to focus on your main discs (which doesn't mean you shouldn't throw your other discs as second shots as well). Less discs means more shots with each of them, means learning to know them better faster. For many players it's better to use a disc you know well and used on previous shots than a less known disc that might be a bit better suited for the shot.

If you want to correct the possible OAT in your throwing form, you need to practice with understable discs, because they show the error, whereas your overstable discs will hide it. (In tournament, use the discs that work best, but for practice try to improve your form.)

Awesome, thanks for your help. I'll try to practice more with my understable discs and correct some flaws in my form. Currently I get a fairly clean release, little to no wobble. I think I mainly struggle with nose up flights and therefore I stall them out before they can reach their max distance.

What distance should I be getting out of the Getaway/Felon? I know inbounds has them both around the 350' distance.

Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Zone: 220/250'; Emac Truth: 230/260'; Getaway: 300/320'

Bag:
Main Drivers used:
Lucid Getaway 166
Lucid Getaway 173
x2 Lucid Felon 173
Lucid Trespass 174

Other Drivers in the bag
VIP Giant 173
Lucid Enforcer 173
Opto Bolt 172
Z fly dye Avenger SS 173
Prime burst Maverick 170

Midranges:
Emac Truth 172
Biofuzion Justice 174
Fuzion burst Warrant 172

Putter & Approach:
BT soft Harp
z Zone
Classic Blend Deputy

My 2 cents:

Drop "Other Drivers in the Bag" and the Trespass. They are too fast for you to get much use out of right now. The Getaway and Felon are Speed 9/10 discs...I think you'd benefit from something slower and more neutral to add to your main drivers...maybe a Maverick? (I had to look it up...I'm not familiar with DD's recent releases).

I'd pick one from the Zone/Harp/Justice and I'd lean towards Zone/Harp. I find that the OS putter is much more useful than a faster OS midrange.

If there is a pretty decent stability gap between a Verdict and your EMac Truth, go ahead and add it.

Those are just my thoughts :)

Based on what I've read in the thread so far, here are my $0.02 suggestions:
1. Work on form. Take that Deputy to the range (schoolyard or other field) and work on throwing it as dead straight as you can. If it's turning over, try to get rid of the "wrist roll". I do this with a Nova, but since you have a Deputy, use it.
2. Drivers: leave one at home when you go to play a round. If you really miss it, put it back in the bag and take another one out. If you don't really miss it, consider keeping it out. If a driver is not giving you significant distance or advantage over other discs, consider not keeping it in the bag.
3. Are the Harp and Zone redundant? And is the Justice redundant with them? Over time you might find you don't really need both, but if you're using both then keep bagging them both.

Based on what I've read in the thread so far, here are my $0.02 suggestions:
1. Work on form. Take that Deputy to the range (schoolyard or other field) and work on throwing it as dead straight as you can. If it's turning over, try to get rid of the "wrist roll". I do this with a Nova, but since you have a Deputy, use it.
2. Drivers: leave one at home when you go to play a round. If you really miss it, put it back in the bag and take another one out. If you don't really miss it, consider keeping it out. If a driver is not giving you significant distance or advantage over other discs, consider not keeping it in the bag.
3. Are the Harp and Zone redundant? And is the Justice redundant with them? Over time you might find you don't really need both, but if you're using both then keep bagging them both.

Good thoughts. I keep both in bag because of the different plastics. The harp sticks (bt soft) while the zone skips (actually just replaced the zone with a gorgeous lucid-x suspect because I liked it).