• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inconsiderate league players

Yet another case of someone crying on DGCR about something they should've either brushed off their shoulder and forgotten about instantly, or handled in person. This isn't facebook and we're not 15 year old girls, handle your **** like a man instead of passive-aggressing it all over the DGCR forums.

Though as far as the "this guy has no more right to play the course than I do" thing.. If he is a prominent supporter and organizer in the area, I have a feeling he has put work, time, thought, and money into the disc golf course or club. While it's a public park/course, anyone who puts that much into a course IMO has rank over people who won't put 10-20$ up to support the club maintaining the courses they play weekly.

This is the very entitlement that causes both the original type conflict and the subsequent lynch mob reaction. Volunteerism buys you nothing but a feeling a self gratification and hopefully a small step toward self actualization. The couple bucks you pay for league buys you a couple hours of group activity, nothing more. You are entitled to your opinion, but it places you as the guy at both ends of this issue.

Though as far as the "this guy has no more right to play the course than I do" thing.. If he is a prominent supporter and organizer in the area, I have a feeling he has put work, time, thought, and money into the disc golf course or club. While it's a public park/course, anyone who puts that much into a course IMO has rank over people who won't put 10-20$ up to support the club maintaining the courses they play weekly.

Eeesh. This isn't going to win any friends in the parks dept. Maybe we should wear tags that show how much we each pay in taxes, how often we pick up trash and if we're members to the local club. :wall:

I don't feel like I have time to get officially involved in the club scene, but I intend to get a lifetime membership to the Charlotte club this October - even better if I can get my company to provide matching funds during our giving campaign (why I'm waiting for October). I really appreciate all of the work that has been done and my $250 (or $500 w/ matching funs) still doesn't cover the benefits I've received or the amount of work others have contributed. Nobody in the club is likely to know who I am, but a BS concept of 'rank' in a public park doesn't exist.

...I've never had any issues in Charlotte BTW.

these threads are always fun.
Always amazes me how the character of them changes once the other side of the conflict has had their say. This is why I tend to take whiny first post rants around here with a grain of salt.

Always amazes me how the character of them changes once the other side of the conflict has had their say. This is why I tend to take whiny first post rants around here with a grain of salt.

Just like dealing with my two kids.

If people are volunteering so they have "rank" on the local course, they're doing it wrong. Working on the local course or running leagues and tournaments is great, but it's certainly not a free pass to ignore common courtesy.

How much "rank" the organizers have may depend specifically on who owns the baskets. In many cases, they are private property put up on public land, and they get to decide to a great degree what placement they will be in, and can pull them for various reasons if need be.

Both organized and casual players need to realize that the existence of the other is for their own greater good. Without organized players, a great deal of our courses and a lot of the resources that went into their creation and upkeep wouldn't be there. Without the head count of casual players, I doubt a lot of parks departments would see the wisdom in letting several acres of a public ground be used for a niche activity.

The character is not changing. He admitted what we said is true and basically apologized. That is really more than I expected to be honest. I was more or less looking to complain about the situation so that people will stop and think about how they act on the course.

No one can question he deserves respect for what he has done for DG around here. He manned up and no more can be said.

My friends and I try to act courteous to everyone on the course, we don't care if it's some guy in sandals with his girlfriend, if we should we let them through. We do this so that next time he and 5 of his buddies are running around with their shirts off and hats on backwards putting with a Boss maybe one of them will say hey hold up, just let em through. DG karma.

Also I have met the guy that runs the league around here and he was very friendly to my friend and I on the course. If I ever wanted to play league I would be very comfortable getting in touch with him.

And to Joey, what made us take exception was that you said there was a group of 10 in front of You and Your group. Which was not true. If that had not been the case no one would have heard about this outside of who was there. That is what made it feel elitist.

eeeeeeeh.

there were two groups, one of five and six for a total of 11. i know, i know. but whatever.

in this situation, especially after the group in front of me has already teed off, i would wait until the next hole to ask. they've already thrown, and you know that you'll have enough time to throw and catch up on the next hole, so why not wait one more? sometimes i ask people if i can throw WITH them on a hole and then hop them on the next hole; lots of people seem to like that more. sometimes i'll wind up throwing the whole round with them just because. happened with a guy about two months ago; wouldn't you know it, he shows up and wins advanced at the league i started playing. kinda neat.

anyway, you can hop the groups afterward, but it's up to you if you wanna feel pressured while you're throwing through. for some reason i always do.

this is really a big misunderstanding and a big mis-cue, all in all.

Last edited:
The character is not changing.
It most certainly is. Even you, the accuser, are backpedaling on his characterization of the party you're accusing.

He admitted what we said is true and basically apologized. That is really more than I expected to be honest.
Sounds more to me like you guys had a misunderstanding that you could have made right amongst yourselves instead of boring everyone else here with it. Its not all that unique of a situation.

Looking at the course, it appears that Joey was the one that designed it as well as made the baskets for it, likely donating them to the park rather than selling them, and you can bet he had something to do with any teesigns that are installed and probably put the baskets in himself. Sounds like maybe OP should be thanking him in person for putting in another solid course in the FM area rather than posting a misunderstanding on a public forum. Hopefully he takes Joey up on the offer for his favorite cold beverage and does just that.

You weren't a single or a group of 2... you were in a full card of 4 players. I can't think of any situation where I'd let a full group pass through. It's odd to me that you'd even expect that.

I've seen tournament backups of 3 or 4 cards... nobody asked to pass through.

I guess my rule of thumb is to always offer singles or doubles to pass, but more than that simply isn't warranted.

You weren't a single or a group of 2... you were in a full card of 4 players. I can't think of any situation where I'd let a full group pass through. It's odd to me that you'd even expect that.

I guess my rule of thumb is to always offer singles or doubles to pass, but more than that simply isn't warranted.

I'd agree with this in most cases, but it sounds like the slower groups were doing some experimenting on the course, in which case it wouldn't have been the worst idea in the world to let them play through.

Regardless, this ridiculousness could have easily been averted had the OP just used some common sense.

I'd agree with this in most cases, but it sounds like the slower groups were doing some experimenting on the course, in which case it wouldn't have been the worst idea in the world to let them play through.

Regardless, this ridiculousness could have easily been averted had the OP just used some common sense.

You guys crack me up. How can anyone view common courtesy to be something other than, letting faster groups play through. There are nearly NO mitigating circumstances, that I can think of. Outside of the times, where there are so many golfers on the course, that there are waits on each hole. (we have not been discussing tournaments here) How does anybody justify deciding others should wait on them. I play in groups of two and three from the back tees and let groups of four, or more, playing shorts, pass often. How can I possible see courtesy and polite behavior differently.

group of 4 is waiting on your group every hole and you have nobody in front of you.

you still aren't letting them through? seriously?

and we are NOT discussing tournament rounds here. no need to even bring it up. its a completely different scenario.

Latest posts