• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inconsistencies field work vs rounds

You have to practice as you play.
And nobody does, they just wing discs in a basket or in a field, then wonder why they are not better on the course.
Well I wouldn't say nobody. But sure, I'm certainly guilty of sometimes just going out and flinging discs without much rhyme or reason (other than that it's inherently fun).

But I usually knuckle down and work on specific things.

And I agree with you about putting. I think it's really strange to throw 10 putters from one spot with no alteration. I chuck my putters randomly all around the basket at various distances. Random > Block:

I would hazard a guess that randomized practice build alot more "feel" and confidence since you have been in a lot of different scenarios.

This has been something of a irk for me that putting it should always be "practice the exact same motion", sure to a degree everybody needs alot of of reps the same way to hone in the pattern but my biggest improvements that has actually transfered was to explore need ways to alter my put so that it is useful in more scenarios since alot of puts arent made on flat, solid ground and without hinders.

I think block practice can be really useful in the start to (especially) relearn and figure out something new but really practice as you compete will net better competition results.

I would hazard a guess that randomized practice build alot more "feel" and confidence since you have been in a lot of different scenarios.

This has been something of a irk for me that putting it should always be "practice the exact same motion", sure to a degree everybody needs alot of of reps the same way to hone in the pattern but my biggest improvements that has actually transfered was to explore need ways to alter my put so that it is useful in more scenarios since alot of puts arent made on flat, solid ground and without hinders.

I think block practice can be really useful in the start to (especially) relearn and figure out something new but really practice as you compete will net better competition results.

your standard putting motion, in my opinion, should always be the same.
It should be second nature.
That motion always being the same allows for you to aim with your feet. Which you should be doing, not your arm.
The arm has to many variables in consistency. so if you aim with your feet and your arm is only worried about power, then you're eliminating a variable.

But also, this is why I'm more of a "practice on the course" sorta guy. If somebody in my group or I have a hard putt that takes you out of the "normal putt." You practice it. Throw 2 or 3 putts at it, 5 or 6, whatever.

you see pro's do this in their practice rounds. they cut them, but they all throw 2 to 5 putts on every hole from where they land.

This is also a reason i hate ball golf courses, just basic putt stuff whoopie doo, they got this down, i want more stuff on the green to screw with discs. It shouldn't be some clear area that is "easy."
I digress.

Practicing on the course allows you to dial in shot shapes as you're forced to throw them and see the outcomes.

Practicing in a field is for learning how your discs fly and setting up drills, such as distance drills to learn the feel. That stuff can get a little obnoxious to others on the course trying to play vs throwing 3 or 4 drives a hole which .... for casual play, nobody cares. they just ask to pass through.

And I agree with you about putting. I think it's really strange to throw 10 putters from one spot with no alteration. I chuck my putters randomly all around the basket at various distances. Random > Block:

I tend to mix it up. If I'm trying to fix something specific I'll do blocks, otherwise do more of a random.

Reminds me of this instrgram video I saw this morning, second part Holyn sprays the putters all around the basket for her putting practice.

Latest posts