• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indexfinger placement in a powergrip? Please help

Malawi

Par Member
Another grip thread :p but i really need to get this thing out of the way so i can focus on other stuff.

Where do you have your index finger on the disc in a rhbh powergrip?

By watching Danny Linndahls vids he says its very important besides having the disc in the palmcrack between middle finger and index to also have your meaty part right below where your index finger begins on top of the flight plate..

But when i do that i can barely curl my idex around the rim and it feels like i release the disc with my palm or that meaty part instead of getting the rip from the finger. The disc is also very deep in my palm all the way in the throw and it kinda hurts in the hand.

Instead when i put the disc in the crack and just start curl my index finger around and then the other fingers, i can touch the inside of the rim with my index pad and the tip touching the flightplate but i barely have the meaty part on the flight plate, just a tiny bit.
Then the disc doesnt feel to much tucked in the palm and i can get a good rip/spin when releasing the disc.

So how is it? Should my index pad touch the inside of the rim and my index tip touch the flight plate?
Or should my index pad touch the flight plate and not the inside rim?
Is that meaty index part of my hand important on the flight plate?

Really appricate all answers!

You posted the answer in your post. Do what works for you.

But not sure it work wonders, just that i feel the rip and the disc can easier pivit out from the hand.

Tho i think im having more nose up problem when doing that since that meaty part probebly helping with nose down.

Is there a better way then this? How much of your first index joint is on the flight plate?
Maybe its just me having fat hands so i getting to much meat up there :doh:

It is OK to have the disc 'above' the thumb crease, mashed into the meat of your thumb muscle. Grip TIGHT (at the hit), and make sure the disc is nose down.

It is OK to have the disc 'above' the thumb crease, mashed into the meat of your thumb muscle. Grip TIGHT (at the hit), and make sure the disc is nose down.

Hm above the thumb crease?

Im not trying to grip it tighter just make it happen automaticlly being very loose at reachback to get a faster arm. When i try to its just slowing down my arm.

Btw are you forcing your wrist tilted down and if so by locking your wrist in that position from the reachback?

Hm above the thumb crease?

Im not trying to grip it tighter just make it happen automaticlly being very loose at reachback to get a faster arm. When i try to its just slowing down my arm.

Btw are you forcing your wrist tilted down and if so by locking your wrist in that position from the reachback?

Yes, I tilt the disc down intentionally. But sometimes I forget and it still goes nose down. Building muscle memory at the hit is important imho, so i try to be intentional as often as possible to build memory.

Here's a video (complete with all the household noise) of how I grip. This is a 14 speed Corvette, the biggest rim I have. My fingers are short and chubby.

Yes, I tilt the disc down intentionally. But sometimes I forget and it still goes nose down. Building muscle memory at the hit is important imho, so i try to be intentional as often as possible to build memory.

Ok nice, thanks alot for the vid!

grip im working on has almost the same height in the palm. Doesnt seems like any of your lowest index joint is in the top plate?

Will try it out tomorrow :)
btw how far can you throw like that?

Guess im just overfocus on grip trying to figure out why sometimes i can feel the rip and get extra spinn and sometimes i cant.

Ok nice, thanks alot for the vid!

grip im working on has almost the same height in the palm. Doesnt seems like any of your lowest index joint is in the top plate?

Will try it out tomorrow :)
btw how far can you throw like that?

Guess im just overfocus on grip trying to figure out why sometimes i can feel the rip and get extra spinn and sometimes i cant.

On the course I am only in the 380' range. My problem is wanting to lean over my front foot (bracing) and I'm trying to figure out the 'technique' or a drill to snap more. What I mean is that I often feel like I am pushing the disc, but the right way is to change directions fast, in the wide angle arc, at the hit - where your hand goes from forward to rightward motion and the disc flies out. Sorry that I don't have the right terminology. That's the next thing I am researching through previous threads.

Ok that didnt work out very well, the snap or rip feel was okeish most of the throws, but to many is nose up/inconsistency throws.
Something happens with my wrist during the pull, disc doesnt feels stable at all in the hand even less then before with the index joint on top. After 2 hours of screaming on the fotball field i decided to try out a grip that sometimes worked before, like Dion Arlyn shows in his clinic video.

I start putting the disc in between where my fingers start and palm, getting all fingers joint meat on the disc with my whole thumb bent over the disc.
Then i push the back of the disc up higher in the palm so it touches the big tumb joint/muscle.

Thumb is more against the middle then closer to the rim liked before maybe a halv inch more. Disc is kinda stuck in the hand with none tense muscles with pressure from middle and ring finger touching the inside rim and tips on the plate. Index and pinky barerly reach the inside rim, they are more like guiding the disc.

Got so much better consist throws with that grip and most of them nose down, all suddenly all went straight and atleast 300 feet and some around 350. Rip point changed to middle finger, can really feel i give the disc more spin with that finger. Maybe loose some distance since my best throws have been 380 with the old grip, but that was when everything clicked. Hope this new grip works out well :)

What disc are you trying to throw? Some wide rim drivers feel uncomfortable in my hand, as well. I don't throw Nukes for example, they are just a bit too wide to feel like I can get the rip I need on them. Seeking out some glidely fairway drivers, or lower speed, smaller rimmed drivers might help you out.

Yes i had the same issue with some of them but it was possible to curl around all fingers after some adjustment or well my pinky wasnt that curled maybe just halv the pad on the rim.

Disc looks 100% nose down in my hand but when i squeeze the disc at the end of the throw it comes up nose up since its not stable enough. Using both fairway and drivers and had same inconsistency with both, like the Leopard3, Diamond, Roadrunner, Saint, Tern, Shryke.

It worked better when pulling low like waist line and pull throw uppe belly but it didnt felt powerful. Going to try my new grip until that dont works out anymore :doh: or getting better form to try the orginal power grip again. If dion can throw 700+ feet with that grip its probebly not to bad :)

Latest posts