• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ink removal

Sharpie comes off of DX Plastic very well, but not at all on Star/Champ.
I'll 2nd this and add Pro to the list of plastics it seems to "seep" into.

I always steal nail polish remover from my wife and try to fade/wipe ink. I actually got 2 discs today where there was nasty plate ink and it came right off. The other had rim ink, which I was able to fade. I always for after ink, just on the off chance it wipes. I never ink my discs though, so others won't have that issue.
For those who don't know, the active ingredient in nail polish remover is acetone.

did not think of the Magic Eraser. I do like the Silver sharpie idea though.
^I should give this a try.

Also, ink's stubbornness is proportional to the time it's had to be absorbed by the plastic. After some point, it becomes "part of the disc."

Last edited:
I have found that I have been able to greatly fade most sharpie markings off my discs by using an EXPO marker and covering the ink completely with it, wait a minute and then use a white board eraser to wipe it.

Sometimes it takes a couple of rounds of it but I've been satisfied with how well it faded the ink. It's a fairly simple remedy. I will be buying a silver sharpie now though!

I personally have never tried this method but placing discs in the sun will eventually fade it off. How long i dont know? He put them on his roof?

I personally have never tried this method but placing discs in the sun will eventually fade it off. How long i dont know? He put them on his roof?

The UV rays may very well fade sharpie ink, but I'd be more concerned about what is happening to the disc...

The UV rays may very well fade sharpie ink, but I'd be more concerned about what is happening to the disc...

yeah...some plastics don't like prolonged direct sunlight. not sure I would try this method

The silver Sharpie idea was really good. Actually the three pack gold, silver, and bronze markers is pretty sweet. Nail polish removes it off pretty good compared to black permanent marker.

Holy crap, that's a disc I lost in Ft Collins at the red feather open!

Should mention that I always wondered why it was inked like that and how it was done. Traded for it July 2014.

I'm not sure of the other effects of this or if it was a fluke, but...

I had pulled a star teebird out of lake Ontario that spent over a year in there (yes I called and was told to keep it). It had been in long enough to have some nice swampy funk smell to it which I couldn't get rid of with a regular wash. I decided to try a bleach solution for a bit and see if that knocked down the stank. I then proceeded to forget I had soaked it in a (pretty strong) bleach solution so it was in for over a day. Ooops. When I remembered it the next day I pulled it out and gave it a another good wash, the smell was gone. I flipped it over and WTF - no ink? Like totally gone. I can only see the shadow of it if I look at it in a super low light situation (dark office with just the glow of my monitor). It did eat a bit of the stamp but otherwise seems unharmed.

Have you thrown the bleach disc at a tree yet? I bet it won't survive more than a couple good thwacks into the bark. Bleack is caustic.

Its hit a few but none of the great high speed first tree smacks (yet) and doesn't seem any worse for wear just yet.

Like I said - I don't know what other effects it may have.

Removing sharpie ink is actually very easy, even black sharpie. So easy, in fact, I have to think that no one who posted above has ever actually tried (and wouldn't my solution be one of the first things anybody would try?). But then, why write a post about something you clearly don't know about? Anyway:

Get some 91% rubbing alcohol ($1 at any grocery or drug store) and wipe it down with a cloth rag or a paper towel. Bam! If the ink hasn't been on for long, you'll get it completely off right away.

If it's been on a while:

* If the marker is on the top of the disc, fill the bottom of a kitchen pot with the alcohol, and set the disc in there upside down before going to bed. When you get up in the morning, wipe it down with a rag, and it'll be as clean as new!
*If the marker is on the bottom of the disc, just pour the alcohol into the bottom of the disc!

This probably works on all premium plastics. I haven't tried every one out there, but the ink has come completely for every kind I have tried. Alcohol is an effective solvent, and it doesn't do any damage to the disc plastic.

Be advised tho: if you need to leave it overnight, there will be a drop in the discs overall color saturation. You probably won't be able to notice any difference on the disc, but when you dump the alcohol down the drain, you'll probably see a slight tint to it. IIRC, an overnight soak will leech more color out of base plastic (like DX).

You don't have to take my word for it, you can try it for yourself! Just don't get discouraged by the poorly informed naysayers above me!

I heard yak urine works well, but its hard to come by.

Latest posts