• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ink removal

KyNitro

I just traded around and got a cpl discs today and I want to remove the old name and number that's been written with a Sharpie. What is something I can use that won't hurt the disc

Acetone will lighten it, but as already stated, it's there to stay.
You can artfully block it out w/ a sharpie or use dye to cover it.

That's why I only use a silver sharpie to mark my discs.
Easy to remove if I decide to trade/sell it.

That's a great idea about the silver Sharpie, I just wanted to see if I could clean it up without messing the disc up. Thanks everyone

The problem is the ink literally seeps into the disc. I've seen discs where it soaked all the way from the bottom through the top and was visible there.

Honestly, if you are planning to use the discs, I've found it easiest just to scratch out the other names (I bought most of my discs from play-it-again when I started and they were all used)

Same here, I use Silver sharpie mostly on discs I may or may not keep long term.

Isn't silver sharpie technically a paint? If so it would make a disc illegal for sanctioned play. I'm no expert on inks or paints but it comes off easy because it doesn't absorb into the plastic like all other colors of sharpie "ink" and if it stays on the surface then the is a measurable "thickness". Not trying to troll just been curious about this for a while now

Last edited:
Sharpie's web site says ink. I was thinking it was like the paint pens I used to use to draw black flag bars on my grip tape in the mid 80s. Oh science you magical beast

I always steal nail polish remover from my wife and try to fade/wipe ink. I actually got 2 discs today where there was nasty plate ink and it came right off. The other had rim ink, which I was able to fade. I always for after ink, just on the off chance it wipes. I never ink my discs though, so others won't have that issue.

Isn't silver sharpie technically a paint? If so it would make a disc illegal for sanctioned play. I'm no expert on inks or paints but it comes off easy because it doesn't absorb into the plastic like all other colors of sharpie "ink" and if it stays on the surface then the is a measurable "thickness". Not trying to troll just been curious about this for a while now

MVP uses what appears to be silver Sharpie to indicate weight on their black rims.

You can do an over ink fade. Traded a buddy who heavilly inked a star Roc. I took a wide sharpie and went over it in a circle following the rim. Then acetone to soften/fade it. Rinse and repeat until you can no longer see previous ink. Now it is black right at rim and fades towards center. Light enough about an inch in to re-ink.

I've tried lots of methods, acetone and goof off included. The best method i have found is taking a dry erase marker, tracing the ink, and then immediately wiping it. Takes it off really well.