• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inline vs. staggered stance putting

GLong

* Ace Member *
Have always been an inline putter with some straddle mixed in as needed. Recently was messing around in the backyard and tried some staggered stance putts.

WOW.

My accuracy is much better from 25' and in, and I am taking really good runs at longer stuff - hitting much more metal/sinking more putts than normal, and leaving myself much shorter comebacks. I feel like my arm swing is more in-line and more relaxed. Plus I'm getting more out of the weight shift and maintaining much better balance through the putt.

I don't see too many people using a staggered stance. I would like to hear from anyone that uses it or any thoughts on this in general. Any idea why it might be working so much better for me?

That will change. It always does.

My thought on putting is, go with what feels best/makes sense, THAT DAY. That being said, you have to practice it all so you're prepared for that day when your normal putt isn't working.

Every putt is unique.

I've gone back and forth between inline / staggered putting and straddle putting. I've found more success in straddle putting but always tried to inline putt because I see everyone else doing it (there's gotta be a reason right?).

I'm going to go with mostly straddle putting this year unless the situation prohibits it.

You guys dont do the thing where you put your legs shoulder lenght apart, and do a little hop to get in the athletic stance?

I dont either very much. I mean, I try to but typically I find myslef doing a straddle one way or another for the best line to the basket.

I practice everything, in-line, straddle putting, staggered-stace, kneeling, turbo, scoobs, etc. You never know what kind of putting situation you're gonna be faced with. I'd say the one i'm most comfortable with and the one I use for most situations is in-line.

I practice them all but mostly inline. For me the good putting days have more to do with good breathing and follow through than feet position

I think it's really valuable to be comfortable with inline, staggered and straddle putts. I find myself on uneven ground putting pretty often, and I find use for all of those. If I'm on level ground with no obstructions I find myself usually using an inline stance, but I practice all of them. If you are in a rut, changing your putting stance can often break you out of it.

Funny how things go. I always had a staggard stance, but forced myself to keep trying the straddle. Finally, the light came on and it was straddle that worked for me inside 10 meters. I found weight trans and timing were not as important to making a good shot. I now use both, but I go staggard with anything outside of 30 ft or so and as long as the ground is flat and there are no major slope changes. Seems to me, you can keep your arm speed low, since you can get a more pronouced weight shift with staggard. Therefore I have better accuracy and distance with it. I also push putt, so that could also be the reason I need to go to staggard at such a short distance.
Every body is diff. So if it's working for you stick with it, but keep up on the other techniques as well.

i use a staggered stance, but have my left foot forward instead of right foot. i'm right handed and it works great because my leg doesn't interfere with my swing this way and i get a long range of arm motion. putting this way only goes up to 25' accurately (>50%) but it's stretching out as i practice.

I always get staggered and in-line confused, in-line is where the other foot is completely behind the plant foot and staggered is what exactly, not quite in-line?

That will change. It always does.

My thought on putting is, go with what feels best/makes sense, THAT DAY. That being said, you have to practice it all so you're prepared for that day when your normal putt isn't working.

Every putt is unique.

/thread

Seems to me, you can keep your arm speed low, since you can get a more pronouced weight shift with staggard.

yea this is what I noticed. By getting a more efficient weight shift I can use the same arm motion as before, but with better accuracy and seemingly less effort on putts in the 40-60' range.

I always get staggered and in-line confused, in-line is where the other foot is completely behind the plant foot and staggered is what exactly, not quite in-line?

if you imagine the face of a clock on the ground with your plant foot being where the arms attach, your back foot is at the 6 o'clock position around shoulder width from the plant foot. For staggered stance, the back foot is (for me) just a little past 7 and slightly wider than shoulder width. It's not that far, only a couple inches different. But for me at least, it makes a world of difference. I practiced it today some more and noticed that I felt much more relaxed and centered during the throw. Even on longer putts with a larger weight shift I was still able to maintain balance after releasing the disc and not fall forward.

The putts seem like they are flying just a bit slower. I had some that missed just a bit low, but more of the ones that hit chains were sticking. Even stuff that was hitting on the weak side was dropping in. This is surprising because I have a M-14 and it usually doesn't catch a damn thing on the weak side.

I use the staggered stance, but my right leg is back, and I'm right handed.

Thanks for the explanation G. :thmbup:

I probably go stagger; straddle at the slightest call for it. I think the hardest thing about stagger putting for me is that I want to pull my putter from my left hip but I tend to be more accurate when I pull straight from my chest. I do prefer stagger vs in-line b/c I feel that it's easier to transfer weight.

I've tried leading with either foot and it doesn't seem to make a big difference. Although at this point right feels more comfortable because that's what I'm used to.

Archetype, do you sort of step into your putt or rock into it? I like putting that way but it feels so right to rock forward into it and I'm afraid of getting called out for putting violations.

Latest posts