• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

correct me if im wrong but i believe vibram has been working on technology similar to this.. soft xlink on the edges and firm in the middle. not sure how far along that is, but it looks like innova is going to win the race.

Consider the following:

- All brands combined (including DC) sell less than Innova (source: biggest retailer ever)
- MVP is already skyrocketing in the boutique market share
- Innova's molding quality is lower than MVP's *
- Atlas Points are an aesthetically poor look compared to the GYRO(tm) bond **
- Atlas validates MVP's signature feature to the giant Innova audience
- Innova, biggest disc co. in the game, just injected (lol) MVP into the larger conversation
- Players introduced to MVP by Innova will find a more well-made disc
- New people will discover and appreciate MVP

Y'all don't need to share my view on this, but these are the positives I'm seeing from an MVP marketing standpoint. Very interesting plot twist in the MVP journey.

* fight me
** get an art degree and fight me

:)

Consider the following:

- All brands combined (including DC) sell less than Innova (source: biggest retailer ever)
- Innova, biggest disc co. in the game, just injected (lol) MVP into the larger conversation

Y'all don't need to share my view on this, but these are the positives I'm seeing from an MVP marketing standpoint. Very interesting plot twist in the MVP journey.

* fight me

Too smart for the this thread.

correct me if im wrong but i believe vibram has been working on technology similar to this.. soft xlink on the edges and firm in the middle. not sure how far along that is, but it looks like innova is going to win the race.

I thought about this as well. Certainly would be a different feel for Vibram. Soft outer rim and medium or firm core would be amazing.

Consider the following:

* fight me

Really, really excellent points. Sure, Innova will sell this because of their name, but MVP has a FULL LINEUP of this stuff (looks-wise...obviously feel and flight are different) readily available. If someone grabs an Atlas and doesn't want to wait for more from Innova, advantage MVP.

I'm talking only about popularity. I am not speaking to the quality. I'll reserve judgment until after I have got my hands on an Atlas.

I have owned and operate a disc golf pro shop for over five years. We currently have well over 5,000 discs in stock. Innova is our best selling brand by a large margin. Discraft is second. Latitude 64 is third. MVP is probably fourth ahead of Westside, DD, Vibram, Legacy, Prodigy, Discmania, Gateway and DGA.

Part of MVP's popularity is that is doesn't look like anything else in the shop. I have often joked that MVP is about as sexy as a disc gets. Innova offering something that looks very similar will make MVP less unique.

That was the only point I was trying to make.

And I wholeheartedly agree that Nickelback is bad...so...so bad.

NOW THATS A BUSINESS STRATEGY. why do we waste time talking about what stupid chuckers think when we all know better? i dont care if innova makes some extra money on this endeavor, ill always see it as a total hackjob.

nickleback makes astounding amounts of money, does that make their music good, or them talented?

i have zero respect for this product.

Now the fanboys are coming out! This is getting good.

I think there should be a separate forum for the fanboys.......

I was thinking the same thing. That said, the more I think about this, the better and better this is for MVP - it validated their position on the map.

Last edited:
Got to fondle one today, pretty nice actually. Those rivets other whatever have enough space they won't interfere with the grip. Outer rim is much softer than MVP's. wish I had time to throw it.

when these come out im going to make a test video to see how well they hold up in an oven, thrown full speed into brick walls, and see what happens when i do a burnout on them. then see how far i can throw them into a lake. should be a fun day.

Got to fondle one today, pretty nice actually. Those rivets other whatever have enough space they won't interfere with the grip. Outer rim is much softer than MVP's. wish I had time to throw it.

Is there anything out there you can compare the outer rim to? And how was the core? Champ or Star?

I am way over the other side of the world, and I now carry all 9 MVP discs plus 10 others, including 2 Lat64s and 8 Innova. In my view, the discs made by MVP are unbeatable. If they make it, I'll carry it. I've had more success using MVP since I switched than in 23 prior years of golf. Every disc from a mold flies exactly the same - with no detectable difference at all - even in different plastics.

They are durable beyond comprehension. The rims are join-free, and perfectly smooth. They are the easiest discs to get a real snap with, I have found.

There is only one downside to MVP discs I have found: after glancing blows off trees, no disc will fly further into rough or OB than an MVP driver.

I see this move as non-violating of MVP's patent, as the process is entirely different. However, I would not be surprised if Innova is adding weighting agents to the outer mold plastic to purposely leverage the extra rotational velocity-stability factor. They will avoid any mention of "gyroscopic stability" and instead will concentrate on the grip offered by the "new design". And to be fair to Innova, it IS a new design, and it stands directly on the shoulders of MVP's ability to produce a fantastic overmold process of their own - which has taken off in a big way.

It helps MVP greatly, in that they now can officially stand up and say they ARE the industry's biggest INNOVAtor, and that they are forcing the giant to up their game in the face of superior technology.

It can only be great for the sport!

I wouldn't think Innova is trying to cash-in on MVP's success at all - because they are a tiny gnat compared to the 800lb gorilla that Innova is - what I think they are trying to do is to innovate their way into a developing and growing market, and they realise the future of single mold discs is all downhill.

They have seen the future, and it is ALL double molded.

MVP should be rightfully proud to have prompted Innova into action (Which Innova would never admit, of course) and we should be cheering for both companies, so that everyone is forced into making significant investments into the next generation of disc manufacturing processes and materials.

One thing we have to understand is that when you hear that Innova is losing market share, that doesn't take into account the rapidly growing market: It's a smaller slice of the pie, but the pie is large, and growing faster than the rate at which market share is lost. So - year on year, Innova is going great guns and making plenty of money.

However, they can see that their traditional process has been made obsolete - and they will not admit that either - so they will continue to make standard discs for quite some time - but don't be surprised when the famous discs by Innova start to come out in this process. I'd love a dual-mold Teebird! A dual-mold Teedevil? I would KILL for that disc.

I think we can all be happy for MVP and for Innova, and even ourselves - as WE are the winners here.

For myself, I truly hope MVP can make it big in Disc Golf, because their product is superior in every way, the customer service is awesome, their whole approach is revolutionary, and even their flight charts make all the others look silly and old. GO MVP!

Last edited:
when these come out im going to make a test video to see how well they hold up in an oven, thrown full speed into brick walls, and see what happens when i do a burnout on them. then see how far i can throw them into a lake. should be a fun day.

Yep and innova will take your money and not care.

As someone who actually throws MVP, the description actually makes it sound completely opposite of MVP. Grippy on the rim and firm in the middle. I'm actually surprised its not a putter. The Ion & Anode bounced out all winter for me because (partly obviously) of the rim material.

Sure it looks similar at first glance, but that is a pretty simplistic way to draw a comparison between discs. If the Atlas can hold lines like MVP discs can, then they are on to something.

My GF, a diehard DX Roc thrower, and very uncommitted disc golfer, not by analysis, but by feel, laughed this disc off as a MvP knckff. Granted she has seen me stop salivating over innova discs, and throw mostly MVP, but at the same time she says, " give me my roc" so I know she has no actual bias. The point being MVP's position is established, and anyone who appreciates MVP should think the day Inova makes a copy is a good one.

It helps MVP greatly, in that they now can officially stand up and say they ARE the industry's biggest INNOVAtor, and that they are forcing the giant to up their game in the face of superior technology.

What have they innovated? :popcorn:

MVP not unique??? Yes, they are unique, until now. They are the only disc company which used two different plastic compositions in the same disc. They do a fantastic job at it.

:doh:

MVP not unique??? Yes, they are unique, until now. They are the only disc company which used two different plastic compositions in the same disc. They do a fantastic job at it.

I look at it this way, it's super healthy competition. MVP is not going to be hurt by this (and perhaps the highlighting of this product will bring more attention to MVP), but in the long run, MVP has caught notice. It will be interesting to see if pricing drops due to competition, or if company's continue to innovate better and better products.

Either way, this is good for disc golf consumers.

False. They are the first to make it succesful.