• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

Do people really believe "Gyro" actually does something different than any other round disc with the weight pushed to the outer edge? That pretty much describes every disc on the market. It's a sales gimmick no matter who is manufacturing it.

. I just can't see supporting Innova, buying something that looks like an MVP disc from someone else, and the disc I'm purchasing has stats similar to a Buzzz.

That's the stupidest thing that I've read on here in weeks (very impressive, by the way). Virtually every disc on the market for the last 30 years has looked like another disc, all while having similar stats to another disc. I bet half the discs you have in your bag look like another companies discs, while maintaining similar stats and flight patterns.

Do people really believe "Gyro" actually does something different than any other round disc with the weight pushed to the outer edge? That pretty much describes every disc on the market. It's a sales gimmick no matter who is manufacturing it.

:|:clap:

That's the stupidest thing that I've read on here in weeks (very impressive, by the way). Virtually every disc on the market for the last 30 years has looked like another disc, all while having similar stats to another disc. I bet half the discs you have in your bag look like another companies discs, while maintaining similar stats and flight patterns.

Plus, they are all round. I want a square disc with gyro tech, and atlas nubs.

Just make sure it doesn't have similar stats to anything else on the already over-saturated market, or no one will support it.

Go throw some MVP.

Its the Buzzz.. I know that there is like 3 of every disc on the market. Just the fact that they have to make a mid rather thrn a driver.

The other day I threw a portion of an Orc that a dog chewed up. It was shaped like a crescent moon and I got it out to about 150'.

zenbot<-----happy to contribute to the discussion

Go throw some MVP.

I've thrown some MVP, and I'm not convinced that having an overmold makes it any more "gyroscopic" than any other disc with the weight in the rim. As stated before, it's simply a marketing gimmick. I'm sure you were convinced about the extra distance potential before you ever even held an MVP disc.

I'm sure there are gyroscopics in there. Innova mentioning it would inevitably violate MVPs trademark and bring a nice legal battle their way. Since MVP isn't pushing "super grippy feel on the rim", Innova can say "we designed these discs this way for the feel" and counter with a defamation suit.

All discs are gyroscopic in nature. Among similar materials (aka plastics), I have always been under the impression that softer materials are of a lower density. If that was true, this would be less gyroscopic than a normal disc, unless there is some of the material from the flight plate inside of the softer material (picture stuffed crust pizza maybe?)...or they have some sort of weighting agent in the plastic? Sounds like we need more details

The other day I threw a portion of an Orc that a dog chewed up. It was shaped like a crescent moon and I got it out to about 150'.

zenbot<-----happy to contribute to the discussion

Crescentech tm

My gut says I'd like a disc with 15 speed and all the weight on the center of the disc. I bet I could toss that at least 115'.

All discs are gyroscopic in nature. Among similar materials (aka plastics), I have always been under the impression that softer materials are of a lower density. If that was true, this would be less gyroscopic than a normal disc, unless there is some of the material from the flight plate inside of the softer material (picture stuffed crust pizza maybe?)...or they have some sort of weighting agent in the plastic? Sounds like we need more details

This is one of things that I've been wondering about as well. You can get really soft plastic at high density where it is still soft, but it's going to be slick. Grippy to me seems like matte/baseline/porous plastic, and that certainly points towards low density.

This is one of things that I've been wondering about as well. You can get really soft plastic at high density where it is still soft, but it's going to be slick. Grippy to me seems like matte/baseline/porous plastic, and that certainly points towards low density.

What if there are two types of plastic in the rim? A heavy and dense inner-core, with a lighter and grippier outer laminate.

:clap:

Yes, the second material can be a different density with the overmold technology - so there is a physical difference. Not like this makes it godlike, or a whole ton different from other Discs. But it is a difference. It has a great feel IMO - glidey without lacking in control is how I would characterize it. They go a long way with minimal power.

I'm not some MVP fanatic, but I do think their plastic is awesome. I fell for the Ion the moment I gripped it. Then the Volt has been one of my most consistent Discs in a variety of situations. My best disc for forehand flicks. Awesome for a simple ~300 foot drive that needs to fade. It seems to resist flipping over really nicely - always comes back in the end. I use the Volt for tunnel shots as well, like others would use a Teebird. First Disc I've had some birdies, and more consistent pars on 300+, tunnel shots.

I got some First Runs that didn't have the advertised stability - but I liked them so well for the shapes they did make I never tried to get a refund. My poor, lost understable FR shock ;)

Last edited:
I've thrown some MVP, and I'm not convinced that having an overmold makes it any more "gyroscopic" than any other disc with the weight in the rim. As stated before, it's simply a marketing gimmick. I'm sure you were convinced about the extra distance potential before you ever even held an MVP disc.

FWIW, I was skeptical of the whole idea, and tested ions against several other putters. They consistently went a little farther, nothing huge but they were out distancing my wizards, aviars and focuses. I didn't like how they felt in my hand, so they didn't make it in my bag, but I did notice a flight difference.

From what I understand the core is made of material without any weighting agent, and the rim is much more densely weighted than the plastics used for any non-overmolded discs. Like I said above, it's not a mind blowing difference but I do believe there is a difference.

Latest posts