• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

if you dont think innova makes tons of bad discs, empty your bag and replace all your discs with the first one in the stack at your local shop. prove it.

Besides, why would I replace all my discs with just one? That's just stupid.

So what bearing does that have in this discussion? Prodigy has a full line up of high speed drivers, yet most of those guys still carry a Destroyer. I wonder why they would carry such ****ty plastic?

1364758334381.jpg

Gyro is a shame, yet they put much more mass into the rim. Seems weird that he would go through with a process much more expensive, claim it has even more mass in the rim compared to MVP, yet at the same time denounce any flight effect of it.

It's hilarious. They didn't want to make an over molded disc because it was too expensive, then when they see MVP is getting popular they come out with one, yet dismiss any flight effect. Silly Innova, keep producing ****ty plastic. The ignorant masses will keep you in business, buying 10 discs to find 2 that fly alike.

It all sounds like politician speak. We "don't agree" because we use different words to say the same thing.
He claims there is more mass in the wing on the Atlas than MVP as if it is a good thing. Then he tells us that has no effect.

Please define "torque resistance".

Which is almost backwards to the apparent effects of gyro on MVP discs (assuming he meant OAT) which tend to seem more sensitive (to OAT).

Gyro is a shame, yet they put much more mass into the rim. Seems weird that he would go through with a process much more expensive, claim it has even more mass in the rim compared to MVP, yet at the same time denounce any flight effect of it.

It's hilarious. They didn't want to make an over molded disc because it was too expensive, then when they see MVP is getting popular they come out with one, yet dismiss any flight effect. Silly Innova, keep producing ****ty plastic. The ignorant masses will keep you in business, buying 10 discs to find 2 that fly alike.

Innova's venture into this has more to do with creating a disc with a grippy soft rim that will catch chains better that's more durable than a full soft molded disc. But I'm sure if MVP had made that claim initially, instead of some gimicky idea about gyro technology, and Dave claimed he had come up with a new gyroscopic technology, MVP fans would still think he was stealing their fire.

I guess Innova can afford to make the jump to a more expensive 2 part molding process because people have had to buy so many of their discs to find 2 that are alike :doh:

It all sounds like politician speak. We "don't agree" because we use different words to say the same thing.
He claims there is more mass in the wing on the Atlas than MVP as if it is a good thing. Then he tells us that has no effect.

Please define "torque resistance".

seems like people aren't reading the article. i don't see where it says "we" (innova) have more weight than mvp.

Dunipace; said:
During our testing, we molded the Atlas with extra weight (20gms) in the plate and none in the rim vs all the extra in the rim (20gms) and none in the plate, and it didn't affect the flight characteristic at all. There may be a slight additional gyroscopic effect that affects torque resistance, but nothing that affects any other aspect of flight. Heavy discs always have more torque resistance than light discs. Also, there is already much more mass in the rim than the plate, so adding a little more mass to the rim only has a small effect if any. We are really just bringing two different materials together.

seems like people aren't reading the article. i don't see where it says "we" (innova) have more weight than mvp.

From the article " people " haven't read:

All Things Disc Golf: The overmold has been done before, most recently by MVP Disc Sports. How is the Atlas different from what MVP has put out?

Dave Dunipace: Our overmold process involves the entire rim, not just a nose cone. We wanted the rim to be ergonomic for feel and grip. In addition to a chemical bond, our overmold is physically locked together by twenty internal ports, and cannot be taken apart. Our overmold has much more mass in the rim, and is differently distributed. Our overmold is injected inside to outside through four injection points, which we are calling compass points to go along with the Atlas theme. - See more at: http://allthingsdiscgolf.com/innova-atlas-dave-dunipace-interview/#sthash.z7CJDstQ.dpuf

If you read my posts you will see that I am only questioning Dave's statements.

Last edited:

Second question.

"All Things Disc Golf: The overmold has been done before, most recently by MVP Disc Sports. How is the Atlas different from what MVP has put out?"

"Dave Dunipace: Our overmold process involves the entire rim, not just a nose cone. We wanted the rim to be ergonomic for feel and grip. In addition to a chemical bond, our overmold is physically locked together by twenty internal ports, and cannot be taken apart. Our overmold has much more mass in the rim, and is differently distributed. Our overmold is injected inside to outside through four injection points, which we are calling compass points to go along with the Atlas theme."

From the article " people " haven't read:

If you read my posts you will see that I am only questioning Dave's statements.

I believe that's in comparison to what's in the flightplate, not MVP. I imagine Innova will be VERY careful not to mention MVP in any way.

The question is specifically asked to compare to MVP although your right he doesn't say MVP in the response.

The Atlas' overmold looks to be considerably more substantial than MVPs. Of course it would have more mass...

"Dave Dunipace: During our testing, we molded the Atlas with extra weight (20gms) in the plate and none in the rim vs all the extra in the rim (20gms) and none in the plate, and it didn't affect the flight characteristic at all. There may be a slight additional gyroscopic effect that affects torque resistance, but nothing that affects any other aspect of flight. Heavy discs always have more torque resistance than light discs. Also, there is already much more mass in the rim than the plate, so adding a little more mass to the rim only has a small effect if any. We are really just bringing two different materials together."

So to me it sounds like they just want something that looks similar to the MVP discs, but they (innova) could care less about having gyro.

Of course most top tournament players throw innova, but its not because they put out the best discs or plastic. Most of my bag is innova, but I know if something gets lost or breaks in too fast, I'll have a hard time finding one that acts the same. I have 5 first run katanas from 2010 Worlds that I got as backups. None have the same dome or PLH.

And I don't throw MVP for the gyro, I throw MVP because their of the quality of plastic and QC. I don't have to worry about getting a 'bad ion' or 'bad axis'. Yet my friends who throw innova constantly get Rocs and Aviars that are junk.

What is it about MVP haters that make them so salty? Don't hate blindly what you don't understand. Even your mighty Innova is now putting out discs to steal their shine. Maybe when a Roc comes out with an overmold you'll give in and realize how awesome it is. Oh wait... MVP already did that. I wonder if the CR3 was innova realizing the vector was a superior OS premium plastic Roc, so they started pumping out decent plastic again...

Who cares? This disc will sell, it may be better than MVP for some, maybe not. It pushes the game forward, MVP will step up. I really really wish innova would stop and look at their line up and make some new plastic or pay closer attention to consistency between runs. I wonder if say in like 15 years where these companies will sit. Innova has a strong hold for sure, but these other guys are making some great stuff.