• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Beast - Newer Mold?

souljacker

So are the new Beasts a different mold?

I have an older Star Beast.. (well, bought a couple years ago) that is 175, Overstable and doesnt have a ton of glide. When I throw it I know almost exactly it's distance and trajectory. I use it often for a midrange when I need a hard break.

I recently got a second Star Beast at 169 that is much softer, more flimsy and has way more glide. It does nothing like like my original. I cant imagine such a difference coming from just a few grams in weight, as other discs I have in different weights still feel and look pretty much the same.

My newer one *might* be a bit deeper on the inner rim, but that could my eyes tricking me based on the color or the way the plastic feels more flimsy to me or my expectation or something...

So any ideas. Is the newer Beast mold a bit different?

did they just start making the new molds? are they making both the old and new molds now? how do you tell which you are buying? Is that fact that one is firmer and one is more flimsy a good indication that I one is old and the other is newer?

old mold beasts didn't come in star plastic

you should compare the profiles of the discs. maybe the first one you bought was mis stamped

hmm. well other than the feel and one might be a bit deeper, the profile and overall look are the same. I am sure they are both Beasts... in general, about how much of a difference in weight between the same mold of disc would there be before they start having a completely different feel about them>>

hmm. well other than the feel and one might be a bit deeper, the profile and overall look are the same. I am sure they are both Beasts... in general, about how much of a difference in weight between the same mold of disc would there be before they start having a completely different feel about them>>

There are other things than weight that cause differences in flight. PLH (parting line height) is where the bottom of the wing connects to the top. You can see the line around the edge of your disc. I think... don't quote me or criticize me if I'm wrong, just correct me... that the lower the parting line, the less stable the disc of the same mold. If your new disc has a lower PLH than your old one, as well as being lighter, it will act significantly more understable than your old disc.

I have also found that the amount of dome that the flight plate has will cause discs to have varying amounts of glide and also change stability.

This is particularly true with Innova products. :wall:

Old mold beasts have crazy different rims then the new. And fly on the understable side. They came in dx, pro, and champ. Pre barrys, 1x , and even early 2x stamped. But no old molds came in star.

both your beasts are new molds and they are undertable discs. 6 grams will make a difference in understable discs.

the old mold was way more stable and was more like an orc/wraith.

both molds have a ton of glide actually and can really bomb far.

while i throw mostly Innova, i also know that sometimes their plastic changes from disc to disc and gives the disc a slighly different flight pattern.

Sorry to bring this back up again, but was browsing for anyone elses opinion on whether anyone feels that the old mold Beast is really what the Orc is? You hold them next to each other and you cannot tell the difference. I wouldn't know if they fly the same, but i have a buddy that throws an old mold beast and another who throws an orc and I'm pretty sure they are both throwing the same disc

But to the subject in the OP, there is an old and new mold, the old mold was changed when the orc was released.

^^ i think they are pretty similar but for me the old mold beast is still not as stable as a champ orc ... mine are all 168ish or so.. I tried pearly champ orcs for a bit but were just too much for my arm.. the old mold beast still might be a lil much but i can actually throw it lol

6fb7065f.jpg

be975036.jpg

^^ i think they are pretty similar but for me the old mold beast is still not as stable as a champ orc ... mine are all 168ish or so.. I tried pearly champ orcs for a bit but were just too much for my arm.. the old mold beast still might be a lil much but i can actually throw it lol

Ian we are so alike...we have to get out sometimes and noodle it around!!

Soul, a few things i noticed.
Years Playing: 11.2
You are also a forehand thrower as your profile suggests.

You need to throw lighter weights of the same mold with less power as they will be more understable than the heavier ones in same plastic unless they are more flat/domey. If you have been playing that long you should know this, unless your trolling.

You need to throw lighter weights of the same mold with less power as they will be more understable than the heavier ones in same plastic unless they are more flat/domey. If you have been playing that long you should know this, unless your trolling.

Parting Line Height trumps weight. About 10 years ago the above rule may have had some accuracy, but it's simply not a good one to follow now. The reason the above used to be true is because when manufacturers used to make lighter discs with more or less the same plastic they would have to take more weight out of the rim than they could the flightplate. This made the discs less evenly weighted sometimes and less gyroscopic in general. This is what made those lighter weights less stable. These days the companies are experimenting with different plastics and techniques so that lighter discs can be just about the same stability(sometimes actually more overstable--starlite plastic) as heavier ones.

As Eegor explained correctly above (despite his lack of confidence in his own knowledge:D), a higher parting line means a more overstable disc regardless of weight. Lighter discs can be less stable if thrown with OAT or without enough spin (most FH throwers throw faster with less spin than BH throwers) as they are more sensitive to these factors than their heavier brethren.

Halo Star Beasts

Holy Necrobump! Interesting thread choice.

I bought two (Red and Teal, in the 173-175 range). I've always loved max weight Star Beasts with dome. These have decent dome. I've only thrown the Teal one, and it's definitely more beefy than the other max weight Star Beasts I have around. However, it also has more glide than one or two of the less domey "duds" that I have.

In my opinion, the only sin they could have committed is to make a glideless Beast. I'm happy with the glide on these.

Beast or Valkyrie? Looking to swap out the undertakers in my bag, for something in innova star plastic. I find roadrunners/sidewinders too US out of the box. Probably will bag two, and opinions?