• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Charger 13/5/-1/2

PMantle

* Ace Member *
New driver coming in January. Described as... A straight-finishing distance driver that fills a gap between Shryke and Destroyer. Star and GStar dealer release on January 9th.

Facebook video: https://www.facebook.com/InnovaDiscs/videos/901256887894802

Max Weight: 175.1gr
Diameter: 21.1cm
Height: 1.6cm
Rim Depth: 1.2cm
Rim Thickness: 2.3cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 16.4cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 5.7%
Rim Configuration: 28.50
Flexibility: 8.98kg

For history this was originally approved as the Pterosaur and renamed to Charger. The PDGA approval picture shows the flight numbers 12/6/-1/2 and what looks like GStar plastic based on the picture.

Closest Innova manufactured discs to the approved specs are
Innova-Champion Discs TeeDevil
Infinite Discs Pharaoh
Infinite Discs Emperor

Kinda a crowded area on the Innova flight chart, may signal the retirement of the Dominator and TeeDevil?

Described as... A straight-finishing distance driver that fills a gap between Shryke and Destroyer.

I chuckled. There's a pretty wide gap between a Shryke and a Destroyer. I'm sure this new one will fall somewhere in between the two just like a bunch of other existing Innova discs.

Dave sure does like to crank out new molds but he isn't much of a salesman.

What if it's the retooled DD2 that never made it from the prototype stage? If I remember correctly people where marketing it being similar to a echo dd3 back in the day.

https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/discs/dd2
The Rim Config and Rim Depth lead me to believe the Charger is not the same mold pieces.

anyone know where i can preorder from
I think once dealers are able to place orders a few may open up the customer preorders. Timing of the release and lack of marketing till now make me think most dealers will not have a preorder.

I guess it could be a useful disc for someone who hasn't cycled one of their Destroyers to the point of approaching a Shryke. For most Destroyer throwers, they'll have a range of Destroyers from overstable Calvins down to ones that are beat up to the point of flying like beat-in Shrykes.

For history this was originally approved as the Pterosaur and renamed to Charger. The PDGA approval picture shows the flight numbers 12/6/-1/2 and what looks like GStar plastic based on the picture.

Closest Innova manufactured discs to the approved specs are
Innova-Champion Discs TeeDevil
Infinite Discs Pharaoh
Infinite Discs Emperor

Kinda a crowded area on the Innova flight chart, may signal the retirement of the Dominator and TeeDevil?

I chuckled. There's a pretty wide gap between a Shryke and a Destroyer. I'm sure this new one will fall somewhere in between the two just like a bunch of other existing Innova discs.

Dave sure does like to crank out new molds but he isn't much of a salesman.

I guess it could be a useful disc for someone who hasn't cycled one of their Destroyers to the point of approaching a Shryke. For most Destroyer throwers, they'll have a range of Destroyers from overstable Calvins down to ones that are beat up to the point of flying like beat-in Shrykes.

I realized this gap as most Shrykes are too flippy to be workhorse distance drivers, but Destroyers don't turn much, if at all, for me. The beefiest Shrykes are glideless Champs, and they're almost Destroyers. The Pharaohs are beefy Shrykes, but they just don't seem to fly well for me. The only Emperor I threw was a fast glideless beefcake. I've never thrown a TeeDevil, but I've heard they're terrible.

The best discs I've found in this gap are the GStar Destroyer or a pop top Star Shryke, something that's "consistently" in that stability/speed area would be nice, especially in Star plastic.

I realized this gap as most Shrykes are too flippy to be workhorse distance drivers, but Destroyers don't turn much, if at all, for me. The beefiest Shrykes are glideless Champs, and they're almost Destroyers. The Pharaohs are beefy Shrykes, but they just don't seem to fly well for me. The only Emperor I threw was a fast glideless beefcake. I've never thrown a TeeDevil, but I've heard they're terrible.

The best discs I've found in this gap are the GStar Destroyer or a pop top Star Shryke, something that's "consistently" in that stability/speed area would be nice, especially in Star plastic.

There are actually quite a few discs (not necessarily all Innova) that fit nicely between a Shryke and Destroyer.

Corvette, Enigma, DDX, Crank, Raider, Mayhem, G* Destroyer to name a few. I've had marginal luck with the Pharaoh and Emperor. Neither one super impressed me.

The Teedevil's actually a bit underrated, IMO. I think people were just turned off by the weird dome. The disc looks like an Archon or Vulcan. I found it to be a pretty solid flier. Just no popularity.

I guess time will tell on the Charger. If they do a good job with this disc it could fill a vital slot. I know a ton of people who want a disc that feels exactly like a Destroyer, but flies a touch less stable consistently.

There are actually quite a few discs (not necessarily all Innova) that fit nicely between a Shryke and Destroyer.

Corvette, Enigma, DDX, Crank, Raider, Mayhem, G* Destroyer to name a few. I've had marginal luck with the Pharaoh and Emperor. Neither one super impressed me.

The Teedevil's actually a bit underrated, IMO. I think people were just turned off by the weird dome. The disc looks like an Archon or Vulcan. I found it to be a pretty solid flier. Just no popularity.

I guess time will tell on the Charger. If they do a good job with this disc it could fill a vital slot. I know a ton of people who want a disc that feels exactly like a Destroyer, but flies a touch less stable consistently.

Corvette and Crank are too wide to be comfortable for me. The DDx is too shallow and more OS, probably due to me not getting a good grip due to the shallow rim, The Enigma is in a similar boat to the DDx but I need to have a bit more time with it, it was kinda promising but got pushed out due to it not being anything my Grace wasn't at the time. I've never thrown a Raider or Mayhem, but I've never had good luck with Trilogy distance drivers, and MVPs drivers seem to be hard for me to throw, I suspect it's due to my nose angle issues. If I could find a pop top (the flat ones aren't bad but I think the dome would give more distance and hopefully a bit more OS) GStar Destroyer I'd be fine for the spring and fall, but still need something for the summer months when GStar gets too floppy for my liking. The Zeus isn't too far off but even it seems to lack glide compared to the Destroyer and Shryke.

I've got quite a few I've got to go through and test when spring comes back, such as the Vanish, Octane, Enigma, Yeet, Orbit Graces, Halo Shryke, DD1, and I'll try to find a Raider to throw as well as some others I'm sure. I'm going to probably end up trying everything or close to it on the market before I find what I'm looking for I'm fairly certain.

Some of my longest throws in 2022 were with Pharaohs. There may be duds out there, but the good ones are better Shrykes.

With Pharaohs you need dome. I threw a couple flattish ones, and they weren't any good at all. No glide, and they were beefy.

I threw 1 Pharaoh that had a huge dome, and it performed great. A perfect "beefier Shryke", but with all the glide.

If these actually come out like the ideal beefy & domey Shryke then I'd be impressed. not holding my breath.

Latest posts