• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Charger 13/5/-1/2

What's your max distance? Maybe knowing that I could recommend you something slightly understable. Have you given the Enimga a look? It would probably become too understable over time, but it starts out perfect. You might also try a heavy star Katana, if you haven't already. Axiom Mayhem and Excite are also good options.

400'-425' usually but seems to have fallen off about 30' recently. I just remembered that I have a slight natural hyzer release that probably contributes to my dilemma.

Katana is too wide for my smallish hands, every DM driver I've thrown that's a workhorse distance disc (DDx, Enigma, DD3) has shown little to no turn and has been untrustworthy as well. The DDx was too shallow fwiw too. Basically what I'm looking for is a 6-7/10 Destroyer out of the box in terms of flight and feel. I've tried some of the Axiom/MVP drivers but I don't think they like my throw for some reason, but I did but a Gryopalooza box to see if I can fix that, and the Vanish I got was decent (at least the small snow free sample size I have was...) but I think it'll be too flippy to be trustworthy in wind, maybe perfect for distance comps or holes that have 200'+ fairways and require an all out bomb (looking at you Hyzer Creek #12)

Regardless I think I need to do a form check and see if I can at least find some consistency, maybe I'll get that done later today if I can find a empty parking lot and something I don't care about road rashing.

400'-425' usually but seems to have fallen off about 30' recently. I just remembered that I have a slight natural hyzer release that probably contributes to my dilemma.

Katana is too wide for my smallish hands, every DM driver I've thrown that's a workhorse distance disc (DDx, Enigma, DD3) has shown little to no turn and has been untrustworthy as well. The DDx was too shallow fwiw too. Basically what I'm looking for is a 6-7/10 Destroyer out of the box in terms of flight and feel. I've tried some of the Axiom/MVP drivers but I don't think they like my throw for some reason, but I did but a Gryopalooza box to see if I can fix that, and the Vanish I got was decent (at least the small snow free sample size I have was...) but I think it'll be too flippy to be trustworthy in wind, maybe perfect for distance comps or holes that have 200'+ fairways and require an all out bomb (looking at you Hyzer Creek #12)

Regardless I think I need to do a form check and see if I can at least find some consistency, maybe I'll get that done later today if I can find a empty parking lot and something I don't care about road rashing.

Or you could throw in a field?

Or you could throw in a field?

Where am I going to find one that isn't buried under a foot of snow? Much harder to find stuff underneath snow..

I did get an Excite and I think it's just what I'm looking for, but I'll probably try a Charger too just for fun.

Where am I going to find one that isn't buried under a foot of snow? Much harder to find stuff underneath snow..

I did get an Excite and I think it's just what I'm looking for, but I'll probably try a Charger too just for fun.

Ah, my fault, I missed the snow part. I played a 10,000 foot par 67 course in snow/mud/goose poop yesterday. It's a golf course but it's shut down to golfers now so disc golfers have free reign. I was excited going in. Anyway, 25,000 steps total, about 7500 searching for my two favorite drivers I lost off the same tee (found em though!). No traction on any shot, even standstills. Most challenging round I've ever played and I'm not sure if it helped my form or broke it. And that was with sun out and no wind. I am absolutely toast today. I kind of hated it. There's an impromptu single round tourney being played there tomorrow with rain/snow/20-30 mph winds in the forecast. I was jazzed about it before my round yesterday, and I would probably do well (relatively) since I got a practice round in but I am seriously considering not going. It's going to be awful. I honestly think it should be cancelled because someone will surely get hurt. Don't want it to be me. There's a doubles round going on there today so I kind of expect to hear something about tomorrow's tourney once that's done. They can't possibly play, can they???

Sorry about the tangent. The word "snow" is super triggering to me now.

So, how about that Innova Charger, eh?

Last edited:
The more time I spend, the more it becomes clear just how much room the Charger needs to do what it does. Needs height to come back from the long slow turn it exhibits through the first 2/4+ of its flight. But when you get the hyzer angle right, and it drifts past flat at the top of its flight, it sure goes.

I'll put this here, too.

I'll add that the rim feels a lot more Destroyer than Shryke, the high speed drift is more Shryke than Destroyer, the late fade is more Destroyer than Shryke.

It's got similar out-of-the-box stability to my middle workhorse Destroyer. With about 25 extra feet. Although it needs more lateral room to get there.

I'm hoping the Charger will be similar to the old Avery Destroyers. I've got 2 of those left and they're money for me. A really nice blend of control and distance, where the newer ones are too beefy for my old arm (although I may just have to commit to beating the snot out of one of the Ricky's I've got on the rack).

I'm hoping the Charger will be similar to the old Avery Destroyers. I've got 2 of those left and they're money for me. A really nice blend of control and distance, where the newer ones are too beefy for my old arm (although I may just have to commit to beating the snot out of one of the Ricky's I've got on the rack).

My flippiest roller Destroyer is an Avery. And one the beefiest Destroyers on my basement rack? Also an Avery.

Charger's ain't Destroyers. Different sort of animal. more turn later into the flight, more fade than a Destroyer beat to have similar turn.

Ah, my fault, I missed the snow part. I played a 10,000 foot par 67 course in snow/mud/goose poop yesterday. It's a golf course but it's shut down to golfers now so disc golfers have free reign. I was excited going in. Anyway, 25,000 steps total, about 7500 searching for my two favorite drivers I lost off the same tee (found em though!). No traction on any shot, even standstills. Most challenging round I've ever played and I'm not sure if it helped my form or broke it. And that was with sun out and no wind. I am absolutely toast today. I kind of hated it. There's an impromptu single round tourney being played there tomorrow with rain/snow/20-30 mph winds in the forecast. I was jazzed about it before my round yesterday, and I would probably do well (relatively) since I got a practice round in but I am seriously considering not going. It's going to be awful. I honestly think it should be cancelled because someone will surely get hurt. Don't want it to be me. There's a doubles round going on there today so I kind of expect to hear something about tomorrow's tourney once that's done. They can't possibly play, can they???

Sorry about the tangent. The word "snow" is super triggering to me now.

So, how about that Innova Charger, eh?

What's up! So how many times have you watched that Cory Ellis three-step video I passed over to you last summer, I think you said at least 4,000 times planned:). For the pass month I've been transitioning last year's x-step to Cory's three-step currently on the 5-speeds, so I've been watching a lot of the video, recently focused on his shoulder turn.

For everybody:

I've had the Star Charger 170g for a little over a month. I'm seeing a balance between my Star Shyrke 167g straight with a tad of fade, and Star Destroyer flippy at 166g harder fade with skip. The Charger is consistent into a headwind 20-30, gusty 40 (strongest wind so far), more so than the Star Destroyer 172g which was booted from the bag by the Charger. Headwind some fade skip right (LHBH), crosswind left to right hard skip average 25-feet. Downwind is a struggle but should get help when I transition my 13-speeds to a 3-step sometime around June. That's okay both the Destroyer and Shyrke are solid all round wind disc.

I picked up a G-Star Charger 167g this past Saturday and a total surprise as a fast-moving disc with a turnover flip with lots of skip on the practice field with no fade. I was expecting something close to the Star Charger. Threw it as a second disc on the course and way left, but a fun throw and look forward to straightening it out.

Both discs are fun throws! Should get a good wind work out Saturday at 15-20 mph, and if I can play Monday expecting 25-35 and gusty. That's why I picked them up for wind play. If they put out a Halo, I plan on picking one up and see how it flies.

Picked up a trio of 171-172 Star Chargers with a dgcenter gift card. All are medium dome with a light pop, not full pop top. As others have noted the feel is closer to Destroyer than Shryke. Star blend feels good with zero signs of blizzarding in the rims. Excited to see if they're the beefy Shryke/ beat Destroyer flight that they're touted to be!

800e4e00d209ee2c5e2bd18c880c7592.jpg

got a decent amount of throws with them on Monday between some field throw and practice shots on the course. after throwing Shrykes for the better part of 4 plus years, these are definitely beefier and a stronger bite at the end that is a lot closer to Destroyer. Significantly better in a headwind than Shrykes, my best flight of the days were hyzer releases in a moderate headwind that had a smooth flip up to flat and still faded at the end. Should be big bombers with an flat to anhyzer release but would need height and lateral room to work all of the way.

My flippiest roller Destroyer is an Avery. And one the beefiest Destroyers on my basement rack? Also an Avery.

Charger's ain't Destroyers. Different sort of animal. more turn later into the flight, more fade than a Destroyer beat to have similar turn.

Sounds like it might be a useful disc for me when(if) I get back to throwing over 9 speeds.

Had mf champ, star and gstar chargers out for some field work today. Estimated throws about 80% power, mild hyzer release, max height of 10-12', combo R>L cross / head wind, thrown RHBH. All 3 landed within 5' of each other. The overall flight was nearly identical which was straight and any turn countered out the cross/head wind with a forward and gentle fade. The Gstar may have been thrown a couple feet higher and maybe .25 more turn. First flight for all 3 discs.

Very consistent flights between the gstar and star. Pretty beefy to start in the 170g range. Looking and feeling like it will be a nice workhorse driver for the year. Looking forward to beating these into real nice flyers.

had a stock 164 in black and didnt get much out of it. prob go for a light weight star destroyer, high 160s g star destroyer or wraith or mid 160s star shryke over the charger

had some drives today that got me rather excited for the Charger. Sample is a medium pop top 172 stock star from dgcenter. realized that flat to slightly anhyzer release is the key to unlocking distance. This is different from the Shrykes I've been used to throwing with hyzer. what surprised me about the Charger is it looks like it is fading out early or having a dumpy fade but it continues to carry forward. agree with others that it does need some room to work. 425-450' max D

Lost my Star Charger about 6 weeks ago on a late release high wind, and straight into a river. This one was neutral flatness, so I'm looking for one just like it, no Star Chargers at all at the local PIAS since then or at another further away. The Star Charger is a solid headwind disc. The G-Star was a worm burner barely getting off the ground, I had just a very few good throws with it as a second disc or even on the practice field. Throwing both the Star and G-Star together was like Jeckel and Hyde one was good, and the other was bad. I traded in the G-Star.

Found a 175g light blue Proto Star Charger at the local store this weekend, measured up against my Q/S Falcons and Halo Shryke it has a higher PLH and a slightly flatter top. Plastic feel was good enough for me to buy it with a little more flexibility to the flight plate and no signs of 'blizzard rim' plastic splay.

First throw got out to ~460' on a line drive BH hyzerflip to flat with a touch of fade on a slight downhill fairway with large oaks lining both sides (overhanging branches 20' up). 90 foot throw in followed for a pretty good eagle/birdie on the soft Par 4/hard Par 3 (tee sign par 4, uDisc par 3 :\). Didn't try it on FH but the few other BH throws did make for very straight flights even with the wind ~15mph throughout the round. Not a ton of turn but enough to flip up to flat and ride a good ways. Slightly faster Echo Sirius Scorpius flight and a couple ticks more stable than the Falcon.

Curious how it will beat in. Hopefully it loses some of the shiny slickness new feel and keeps a bit of the stability longer than my Echo Scorpius.

Found a 175g light blue Proto Star Charger at the local store this weekend, measured up against my Q/S Falcons and Halo Shryke it has a higher PLH and a slightly flatter top. Plastic feel was good enough for me to buy it with a little more flexibility to the flight plate and no signs of 'blizzard rim' plastic splay.

First throw got out to ~460' on a line drive BH hyzerflip to flat with a touch of fade on a slight downhill fairway with large oaks lining both sides (overhanging branches 20' up). 90 foot throw in followed for a pretty good eagle/birdie on the soft Par 4/hard Par 3 (tee sign par 4, uDisc par 3 :\). Didn't try it on FH but the few other BH throws did make for very straight flights even with the wind ~15mph throughout the round. Not a ton of turn but enough to flip up to flat and ride a good ways. Slightly faster Echo Sirius Scorpius flight and a couple ticks more stable than the Falcon.

Curious how it will beat in. Hopefully it loses some of the shiny slickness new feel and keeps a bit of the stability longer than my Echo Scorpius.

this has been a highlight of Star Chargers so far for me. ordered 4 from dgcenter so far and flipped through a bunch at a local shop, all with solid rims and no blizzarding.

Threw a Charger for the first time today. Star, 168g. Nice looking and feeling disc. Good dome.

Didn't really know what to expect with this one. Innova has a bad habit of releasing tons of redundant high speed drivers that suck and do nothing but overlap with each other.

Not the case with the Charger. It seems to fill the gap between a Corvette and a Boss. The Charger will turn fairly easily if thrown hard, and isn't in a huge hurry to fade. If you really manhandle it the disc will stay turned or flip into the ground. That said, I didn't find the Charger to be super flippy. It'll take a hard rip decently.

What I liked most about the Charger was its ability to hold straight for a long time before fading. Nowhere near as abrupt/dumpy as a Boss or Destroyer. The Charger stretches out pretty easily for big distance. My max with it today was about 425'. On a warmer day I'd be able to add 30' to that. A star Corvette I had out there today was a hair flippier and longer.

Charger: 13, 5, -1.5, 2. I added just a bit of turn to the factory numbers. The Charger definitely has more than -1 turn. It flies a nice, deep S curve and fades gradually late in flight. Great driver for those who want something a hair less stable than a Boss or Destroyer. Just a bit shorter overall than a Corvette. I liked the Charger more than I thought I would. Very baggable.

Also similar to the Millennium Falcon or Katana.

Latest posts