• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova G Star?

I bit the bullet yesterday and picked up a GStar bird, 175, flat top and pretty grippy. As others have said, there shouldn't be too much worry about it being too understable, mine has been throwing a tick more understable than an out of the box Star bird. From what I have heard, if you want one you might want the more flat ones, as the people I know who have the more domey ones say it is more understable than its flat counterparts, and the more domey ones I have thrown have been super flexible, a bit less flexible than the Gumbputt's. I've been pretty happy throwing it today, it really has a great straight flight, and is exactly what I want out of a Teebird.

Finally got some throws in with my Gstar Orc in between the rain. I don't know how these have been flying for other people but mine were much more overstable in Gstar than in star. No word on how they beat in, but I smacked a couple trees with no noticeable damage

Finally got some throws in with my Gstar Orc in between the rain. I don't know how these have been flying for other people but mine were much more overstable in Gstar than in star. No word on how they beat in, but I smacked a couple trees with no noticeable damage

Are the g*Orc coming out flat or are they crap like my domey EL and what I've heard about the EXs?

I got five max blue g*TBs from the proshop and they are all nicely flatish even if I'd never throw one into a headwind over 10mph.

Last edited:
Really gave my GStars a workout today, especially the Destroyer, Roc3, and Shark.

Destroyer definitely has some turn on it but thankfully it still had enough fade to count on it coming back. It has some rash and marks from numerous hits but I would not go so far as saying that the damage/wear would not have occurred on Star or Champion.

Roc3 is steadily becoming less and and less stable. It is still Star stable, not flippy Pro or DX seasoned-in understable, but it is definitely straighter than when new. Despite numerous hits and impacts on trees, dirts, branches, and exposed roots, no visible damage whatsoever.

The Shark is unbearably more stable than it should be. It is supposed to be shorter and have less fade than the Roc3, but instead it gets just as far, is less likely to flip or turn, and definitely fades harder than the Roc3. In fairness, I have been throwing these Roc3s ever since they came out. These Sharks are only 4-5 days old. I am hoping that as they season they start behaving as I expect them to do. I am not a big fan of seasoning Pro and lesser plastics to make them understable; that is just not me. I want a slightly less stable mid in GStar and the Shark was supposed to be that.

The TeeBird had one shot all day and it nailed it perfectly. I was the only one to get par on this hole today (card of 5) because of the TeeBird's perfect placement.

GStar Rhyno is exactly what I have been looking for in that slot. It drove cleanly, finding ideal landing spots. It only failed me once as a putter, when I putted over the basket, exposed the underside to the wind, and sailed it just as far on the back side of the basket. Beyond that it was banging the chains nicely and stuck in better than my Soft Warden (which has a tendency to dance in the bucket and or chains and threaten to come out).

Gstar Roadrunner loves to suddenly become airborne when I least want it to. It has a great flight, but when trying to underpower it so that it will cruise down the fairway dead and straight, it often jumps up another 4-6 feet higher than I would like it. It is not a nose-up issue, it just takes off. Thankfully it did not kill me today, but it did reduce its role, forcing me back into powering up mids when I really wanted to power down a fairway driver.

I have to tip my hat to innova even if just for the teebird. this plastic is great stuff. Even if it turns out not to be that durable, it really is something else, perfect grip without being too floppy. I skipped my gstar teebird off a walking path the other day and winced. I sprinted up to see if it was okay and thankfully just a little scuff and no more flashing. :)

I've been very pleased with my G* TB. It flies similar to a fresh DX, so is a bit touchier than Star or Champ, but has great glide. Mine also is quite flat, probably the flattest I've thrown besides an 11x CAL. It pairs well with my beefy JL bird.

I've been very pleased with my G* TB. It flies similar to a fresh DX, so is a bit touchier than Star or Champ, but has great glide. Mine also is quite flat, probably the flattest I've thrown besides an 11x CAL. It pairs well with my beefy JL bird.

Yeah, I had to buy a replacement and it has a little more LSS than my purple gstar did, but not much. Still fantastic and definitely the anchor in my lineup along with my champ TB. Between those two I've got everything covered. The seasoned dx, patriot and Banshee are just icing on the cake.

They better not stop making these or imma choke a *****.

I'm interested in the BB Aviars in particular if anyone has some experience to share.

I've been using one since they were released. They fly similar to a KC pro aviar but with more glide and they're slightly more stable. They're awesome driving putters for sure, not too overstable, and not to touchy when you put the mustard on a shot

I might have to pick one up then, they feel great in my hand but they didn't have the color or weight I wanted.

I did manage to get a max weight orange Rhyno this weekend. Supremely pearly with a nice controllable flight so far. I noticed it skips a bit more than my R-Pro but I assume that will settle down some as the disc breaks in. Also it was quite domey and I had to flatten it as well as remove the flashing on the bottom which was considerable.

I did manage to get a max weight orange Rhyno this weekend. Supremely pearly with a nice controllable flight so far. I noticed it skips a bit more than my R-Pro but I assume that will settle down some as the disc breaks in. Also it was quite domey and I had to flatten it as well as remove the flashing on the bottom which was considerable.

I also got a gorgeous, pearly 175g G* Rhyno. Mine had that dome too, so I bit the bullet and tried the boiling water trick to flatten it. It worked terrifically. Probably the best result I have ever had trying to flatten a disc. I was worried the thumb-trac might complicate it, but it didn't seem to matter at all. It's Ontario mold flat now, and flying well.

Are the g*Orc coming out flat or are they crap like my domey EL and what I've heard about the EXs?

I got five max blue g*TBs from the proshop and they are all nicely flatish even if I'd never throw one into a headwind over 10mph.

The orcs are board flat and feel great! They're hogs though

I might have to pick one up then, they feel great in my hand but they didn't have the color or weight I wanted.

Tell me more about this "flattening" you're doing!

Tell me more about this "flattening" you're doing!

The way I do it is run water through my coffee maker (without coffee in it), place the disc on a table face down, fill the disc with the hot water, place a stainless steel pan I have on top of the disc, place a 10lb weight in the pan, and let the disc sit for 10-20 min.

Repeat this until your water is gone. I know some people use boiling water, but I like using my coffee maker because it allows me to heat the water without it actually boiling. Maybe I'm paranoid but I'd rather not heat the disc to the point of it being damaged.

I can put up a pic at some point in this thread to show the flattened disc.

That's awesome! I'm definitely going to give it a shot! I'm assuming that this process will work on discs that have been warped by tree hits and such? I have this Glow Roc that hasn't been the same.

I'm loving the Gstar plastic so far!! I have a Leopard, Rhyno, Tern, Roc3 and Firebird in the bag!! Only one that may not make the cut is the Roc3 because I like my big bird more.

How is the tern in gstar?

For some reason I don't think I would like a flexible tern.

I throw primarily RHFH, and I throw my Tern with a little bit of hyzer and a good snap to get it to flip up and do a subtle S turn. I really like it, kind of like a faster old mold beast with a little more turn.

Fondled some Terns in different plastics at Powergrip, and GStar Tern was easiest to grip.

And it looks like the GStar Teebird is going into my bag. It's the longest stable speed 7 I've thrown.

Last edited:
My max weight G-Star Leo has broken in a little bit now - I've been throwing it pretty heavily for about 3 months; I'd say it's flying like a fresh max weight Pro at this point - very controllable, slight turn and slight fade.